• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 ACC wheels

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone out there has given these wheels a try? For awhile now I've wanted a pair of carbon wheels after I got the chance to demo a set (not these ones fyi, it was a few years back). Cost has pretty much been the reason that I haven't gotten any carbon wheels yet. These seem to be pretty reasonably priced and thus I am leaning towards them.

Anyone have experience with these?

I have them...the clinchers.

Don't have any real issues with them, but then again they are my race wheels so they get only a fraction of the miles my Ksyriums do.

My only complaint is they are very flexy, not really stiff at all. But the carbon is just a fairing so they are hollow. I would rather have a little extra weight and have the foam in them. they are also really creaky and sound like they are going to blow up.

my 2cents.

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
The ACC is a alloy brake track clincher. They hold up pretty well and are foam filled for stiffness. I'd say they are a pretty good wheel set.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bontrager wheels are junk. They use the old carbon HED. rims that were discontinued years ago which use the shallow rim with the aero carbon cap. They have to fill them with foam to stiffen them up because it's a spoke-thru design with a low spoke count. One of the least desired wheels ever. Keith doesn't mind, he made millions on the sale of his name to Trek.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Ritchey Pro Apex Carbon, is just one example from many, cheaper with a more sound design.

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=299434

I have Bontrager "Race X Lites" they spec out lighter and cost me less - also, looks like these are a composite. I am thinking about getting some carbon wheels but want something that is at least as light as the X-Lites (1530 grams).

How about any other full carbon wheels (with something in the area of a 50 cm rim). I am still looking at the Ritchey arrest.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
When playing around with this much money, personally I would have a custom set built based on your requirements. You can choose your hubset, spokes and spoke count laced up to a bunch of different kinds of rims from Edge, Zipp, Reynolds, etc. You can go cheap, or break the bank if you want depending on the components, but you'll have a wheel that was built for you, not some universal one size fits all wheel.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I just got a set of Reynolds SDV66 clinchers, I really like them, they are slightly heavier than the wheels you are talking about but I would say they are pretty strong and very stiff.

Bontragers are pretty expensive anyway arent they? at least they are in my part of the world.

Look at Reynolds assault wheels, 1525gr, 46mm rim, half the price of the top end wheels. (The top end reynolds are $5000 NZD and the assaults are about $2000 NZD)

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
When playing around with this much money, personally I would have a custom set built based on your requirements. You can choose your hubset, spokes and spoke count laced up to a bunch of different kinds of rims from Edge, Zipp, Reynolds, etc. You can go cheap, or break the bank if you want depending on the components, but you'll have a wheel that was built for you, not some universal one size fits all wheel.

In that case - I would go with 190 DT hubs, any recommendations on rims?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RoadieBeast said:
I just got a set of Reynolds SDV66 clinchers, I really like them, they are slightly heavier than the wheels you are talking about but I would say they are pretty strong and very stiff.

Bontragers are pretty expensive anyway arent they? at least they are in my part of the world.

Look at Reynolds assault wheels, 1525gr, 46mm rim, half the price of the top end wheels. (The top end reynolds are $5000 NZD and the assaults are about $2000 NZD)

I got the 2009 X-Lites for $700US from my LBS (on sale), it was too good to pass up.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RoadieBeast said:

I have heard some good things about Reynolds wheels - but that they were somewhat pricy - I would really like to get into something under $2000.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
CentralCaliBike said:
In that case - I would go with 190 DT hubs, any recommendations on rims?

Ok, if you really are in need of ceramic bearings, that's big $$$ for no performance gain at your level. 240's are plenty good. Rim choice entirely depends on your riding style, road conditions, weight, race only or dual use, and an honest self evaluation of your bike handling skills.

I'm about 180lbs, built a custom set of Zipp 360's to 28 hole Record hubs. I consider myself to be a more powerful rider, so the spoke count should be a bit higher and closer in range rear to front. I use this same wheel set for road and CX racing.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Ok, if you really are in need of ceramic bearings, that's big $$$ for no performance gain at your level. 240's are plenty good. Rim choice entirely depends on your riding style, road conditions, weight, race only or dual use, and an honest self evaluation of your bike handling skills.

I'm about 180lbs, built a custom set of Zipp 360's to 28 hole Record hubs. I consider myself to be a more powerful rider, so the spoke count should be a bit higher and closer in range rear to front. I use this same wheel set for road and CX racing.

170lb - I like riding up the hills but that is not my strong suit (I have been told that I go down better than most) - I was thinking the 190s for weight purposes, but had not considered that at the center of the wheel the weight differences would be negligible. I do ride Shimano; I am guessing no record hub.

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear all the comments from those in the know. I also have the Race X Lites and was surprised to see they weigh less than the carbon wheels which I first mentioned. The RXLs are really great everyday wheel, but having ridden a set of Race XXX Lite carbons once I've wanted a set of those ever since, well carbon, not neccessarily the Race XXX Lites.

I was also considering Zipps. I think my eventual budget will be around $2k and I do have some time to consider different wheels as I wasn't intending to get them until May at the earliest. There is great bike shop in Natick Mass (Landry's) which I'll be traveling down to see what they offer.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
hey thought i would throw in my 2 cents.......im surprised nobody has mentioned AMERICAN CLASSIC , imo the best wheel for the money.
you can get a custom build straight from AM , as in pay for the sapims, you will thank me, as i understand they get there hoops from zip. these are the non dimpled carbon hoops , very stiff and very light , also there hubs rock, lighter than DT and i like the internal pawls better. my carbon 58 are under 1200 grams, these are basically zip 404 with sapims and AM hubs......
i also have a set of bontrager xxx light , custom built with sapims , its a 26mm box so not alot of aero properties here but at 1080 grams who cares , the sapims make them very sturdy , if you have a proper build , .............and well i weigh less than 150lbs...........ok im showing off but i also have on older set of zip 303 , i have ridden the **** out of , ive rebuilt them and they still rock, again sapims , bladed, the only way to go
i like DT lots, but for the money its a nobrainer..........AM

williams also makes a really nice wheel in the 303 / 404 height , again for the money , look into williams , i just had a ride on a new set of carbons and they work really well

all these are tubular , no point in a carbon clincher , imo, especially if your doing race wheels

and as far as im concerned no point in a carbon wheel over 1350 grams at the heaviest...............go crazy........try stuff.......enjoy