• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bretagne Classic (GP Plouay) - 1.WT2

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pedersen and Sosa are just 23 and 22 so nothing unusual that they don't have a WT win, yet. And Hart doesn't even have any results in big races, yet. Neither does Sosa actually.

Actually, Sosa is 21!
But I'd consider that in itself rather impressive. I mean... it's not, because they were born in December 1995, and October 1997, so... math, but the fact that they've been at it for so long people can forget how young they are.

Coquard probably most surprising

To get his number of wins without getting a WT win is a pretty remarkable accomplishment for a guy who has been riding in Western Europe on pro level teams his whole career. It’s the sort of thing you see from some guy who has been beating up Asian or small Eastern Europe Conti races, the kind of rider where you wonder why he never got a pro contract.

He’s the archetypal “flat track bully” as the cricket fans say. He’s a beast in little French or Belgian races with no top drawer sprinters but a pussycat when the big boys are around. I don’t think Demare is much faster than him, but he’s a much smarter, more versatile rider who has found a way to win against guys who just have a better top speed. Coquard has not. On the other hand, he’s not past it yet and might still do it.

Congratulations to Vanmarcke. The guy deserves a better palmares and this is a nice step forward.

Last edited:
Coquard's problem is that he is not a great bunch sprinter. He is simply too light. Long drag sprints isn't his speciality. He doesn't have the top speed and muscle of the big guys.

It's his acceleration that is impressive and he can kick more than once in a technical sprint. There has to be some uphill lumps, cobbles or sharp corners in the final k for him to win it.

TRENDING THREADS