• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brian Nygaard: "There will be quite a few big surprises"

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Brian Nygaard: "There will be quite a few big surprises"

"There will be a few surprises. There remain a lot of riders for our team next year still unknown to the public. I'm talking about important riders and relatively unknown riders. (...) Of course not everyone considers the same riders to be big stars, but I can confirm that there will be quite a few big surprises."

Source: http://www.wort.lu/wort/web/sport/artikel/2010/10/119800/-es-wird-ueberraschungen-geben.php

Teammanager Brian Nygaard (...) gestattete im Interview mit einer dänischen Internetseite interessante Einblicke. „Es wird noch einige Überraschungen geben. Alle Namen unserer zukünftigen Fahrer sind noch längst nicht bekannt.

Es gibt da noch welche von wichtigen Fahrern und auch von eher unbekannten Profis“, verriet er und ergänzte ohne weiter ins Detail zu gehen: „Natürlich betrachtet nicht jeder die gleichen Fahrer als große Stars oder Ähnliches, doch ich würde schon sagen, dass es noch ein paar große Überraschungen geben wird.“

So far the Schleck team has been looking strong, but not exactly like "the next BIG team", which Andy and Fränk had promised on twitter.

To me "big surprises" means riders that have so far never been linked to the Schlecks - for example: Fuglsang would be an important rider, but not a surprise. Even Cancellara wouldn't be a surprise. It could also mean riders that have other qualities than what one usually associates with the Schlecks - maybe there is a big sprinter among them?

So who could he be referring to? Who is on the market, or did they buy out some people from their contracts? I'm thinking maybe Mick Rogers?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
It seems as though he's signing some moderately well known riders, who he thinks are stars, but others won't.

Cancellara's still a possibility, though, although BMC is still my bet, but I have no doubt that Rogers will be at Sky next year.

Michael Rasmussen? :p

It seems that Fabian Cancellara, Xavier Florencio, Oliver Zaugg, Matthew Lloyd, Markus Eibegger, Kanstantin Sivtsov, Maxime Vantomme, Markus Fothen, Tomas Vaitkus and Gustavo Cesar Veloso are only 'good' riders with 'good' contract for this year, but without a contract for the next year.
So a few big surprises? I'm looking forward to them. :)

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Brian Nygaard

pedaling squares said:
Sorry to sidetrack, but that's a notable statistic in your signature block. Where did you source that from?
:D

I think he got the quote from La La Land because as anyone with half a brain knows, it's rubbish. My wife is a highly qualified doctor.

Clenbuterol (Spiropent, Ventipulmin) is a sympathomimetic amine used by sufferers of breathing disorders as a decongestant and bronchodilator. People with chronic breathing disorders such as asthma use this as a bronchodilator to make breathing easier. It is most commonly available as the hydrochloride salt clenbuterol hydrochloride. ( Wikipedia) It's that easy.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
So who could he be referring to? Who is on the market, or did they buy out some people from their contracts? I'm thinking maybe Mick Rogers?

Rogers has signed with Sky. I would say Nygaard is refering to either Fabian or Fulsang, and I agree with you, won't be that surprising.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
allstar56 said:
I think he got the quote from La La Land because as anyone with half a brain knows, it's rubbish. My wife is a highly qualified doctor.

Clenbuterol (Spiropent, Ventipulmin) is a sympathomimetic amine used by sufferers of breathing disorders as a decongestant and bronchodilator. People with chronic breathing disorders such as asthma use this as a bronchodilator to make breathing easier. It is most commonly available as the hydrochloride salt clenbuterol hydrochloride. ( Wikipedia) It's that easy.
Wiki is great but unfortunately it cannot tell you if your research is pertinent to the question at hand, which in this case is "Is it found in Spanish beef?".

Back on topic - The Chicken? Now that would be a surprise and it would explain why the sponsor is so reluctant to come forward.:D

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Wiki is great but unfortunately it cannot tell you if your research is pertinent to the question at hand, which in this case is "Is it found in Spanish beef?".

Back on topic - The Chicken? Now that would be a surprise and it would explain why the sponsor is so reluctant to come forward.:D

It's not the Chicken - I think it was Kim Andersen who said they weren't interested in the Chicken. He was too old. They want a young team and allready had a couple of riders pulling in the other direction (Voigt and O'grady perhaps?)

I think the suprises are Fabian or Fuglsang but the rumours has send 15 (almost certain signed) and 3 (rumours, could go somewhere else) to the team. Brian Nygaard says he has signed 25 riders now. That leaves 7-10 names we have no clue about. Can't wait to find out.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Sorry to sidetrack, but that's a notable statistic in your signature block. Where did you source that from?

allstar56 said:

I seem to have less than half a brain apparently (thanks for the heads up, allstar!), but then so do the people at velonation, Associated Press, and the people working for the European Union:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6...yer-Ovtcharov-cleared-of-Clenbuterol-use.aspx

Maybe it's you, allstar, whose brain is not of normal size (although your wife's must apparently be enormous), since Contador in his defense never mentioned once having used clenbuterol it for breathing disorders.

pedaling squares said:
Maybe Team Lux will sign DiLuca. :D

Lol I'm sure Andy would be delighted about that!!

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Some brilliant danish members on the staff side. they could be interested in Rasmus Guldhammer, Rasmus Quaade, Sebastian Lander and a few other promising talents.

A comeback from Kirchen would be a big surprise. although I think it's 99 % sure he will end up in a car instead. has he signed for next year with Katusha already?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
A comeback from Kirchen would be a big surprise. although I think it's 99 % sure he will end up in a car instead. has he signed for next year with Katusha already?

He will decide whether he will continue racing in december. However even if he decides he wants to come back, it is certain that Katusha will not allow him to ride for them: Andrei Tchmil offered him a job on the staff os Katusha, but considers it too big of a risk to take him back as a rider.

Sources close to Kirchen have indicated that while he has started riding his bike again, he does it merely to keep somewhat fit. It also seems he has gained quite a bit of weight.

I'd love to see him return, but I think next season might be too soon.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
allstar56 said:

Does she treat animals? Because that is what the quote was referencing.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
He will decide whether he will continue racing in december. However even if he decides he wants to come back, it is certain that Katusha will not allow him to ride for them: Andrei Tchmil offered him a job on the staff os Katusha, but considers it too big of a risk to take him back as a rider.

Sources close to Kirchen have indicated that while he has started riding his bike again, he does it merely to keep somewhat fit. It also seems he has gained quite a bit of weight.

I'd love to see him return, but I think next season might be too soon.

Thanks. great to get some insight. I did read about it a while ago, but haven't followed the story since.