Bring back the Kilo!

Mar 11, 2009
79
0
0
Is it possible for the Kilo to be reinstated for the London Olympics? Has the track cycling program been finalised?
Just wondering if a decision the UCI made with little or no consultation has of being addressed.
 
May 11, 2009
1,188
0
0
I agree that the kilo and 500 m races should be returned to the Olympics. Since London is spending lots of money to build a velodrome why not use it more - include omniums. The IOC seems to be driven by TV viewership so why not add a proven crowd pleaser - the Devil-take-the-hindmost.
 
May 12, 2009
3
0
0
I agree. The kilo is viewer-friendly, as is miss-and-out (or devil takes the hindmost). The scratch race is also fun to watch. If the UCI focused on the events that keep the audience's interest, it could help revive track racing.

I think the madison could be eliminated along with the points race and no one but the riders would care very much. When the only people who can keep track of the results are the judges (as is the case in the points race most of the time), the crowd isn't going to be very engaged.
 
May 11, 2009
1,188
0
0
velodromer said:
..............When the only people who can keep track of the results are the judges
...........................
I used to be a race officlal - I could never keep track of the madison so I always excused myself from that event.
 
May 13, 2009
101
0
0
velodromer said:
I think the madison could be eliminated along with the points race and no one but the riders would care very much. When the only people who can keep track of the results are the judges (as is the case in the points race most of the time), the crowd isn't going to be very engaged.
Right...and can you qualify this remark taking into consideration six-day events are all Madisons? These are HUGE events, with many, many spectators...

The only reason anyone wouldn't be able to follow the race is if they aren't paying attention. Let's not encourage further dumbing-down of sports. I appreciate it when a sport demands more of my attention, both as a viewer and participant.
 
May 13, 2009
101
0
0
lookkg386 said:
The Kilo made way for BMX, how was that recieved as a first up olympic sport?
Indeed...i don't really understand why there had to be a 'sacrifice'...it uses the same facilities, and can be completed relatively quickly...not to mention track events are often the most-watched, and among the most spectator-friendly...
 
Mar 11, 2009
79
0
0
The Kilo is unique in the sphere of sport. One chance in an event which lasts around one minute. There is no second round, second half or repechages. There is no sitting on, no team mates working for you. Riders are seeded with the fastest riders last to ride. For anyone riding the kilo the pressure is enormous. One error in judgement, a pulled foot and your hopes are gone.

Eduard Rapp, 75 world champ, pulled his foot at Montreal and his Olympics were over. Shane Kelly. 95 world champ & world record holder, did the same at Atlanta.

No rider has successfully defended an Olympic victory in the Kilo.

It is a specialised event. Riders who excel at the kilo are unlikely to have success in another event. Chris Hoy being the greatest exception. But other riders such as Stefan Nimke and Ben Kersten haven't been so fortunate. At the Beijing Olympics Stefan Nimke was the third rider in Germany's bronze medal team sprint. Ben Kersten was one of the last riders culled from the Sydney Olympic team. He then was a last minute inclusion in the Athens Olympic team only not to be given a ride. He continued to improve scoring a brilliant victory over the two previous Olympic champions at the 2006 Commonwealth Games. His event taken from the Olympics he didn't make the Australian team.

That the IOC forced the UCI to sacrifice a track event makes no sense. Removing the Kilo does NOT reduce the number of competitors. They also reduced the opportunities for female riders which is odd considering the IOC's quest for parity between the sexes.
 
pmsc111 said:
That the IOC forced the UCI to sacrifice a track event makes no sense. Removing the Kilo does NOT reduce the number of competitors. They also reduced the opportunities for female riders which is odd considering the IOC's quest for parity between the sexes.
While the IOC required the UCI to remove an event, it was up to the UCI as to which one. The UCI deliberately chose the kilo/500 I'd say for precisely that reason.
 
May 13, 2009
101
0
0
pmsc111 said:
They also reduced the opportunities for female riders which is odd considering the IOC's quest for parity between the sexes.
..and one of the greatest issues of concern from this decision, thank you for mentioning it.
 
Aug 18, 2016
314
2
3,285
The Manchester World Cup was very good racing. The sprinters times were really impressive. Glaetzer would have to be red hot favourite to win the Kilo at the Commonwealth Games next year after that.
 
Dec 13, 2015
28
0
0
Re:

Craigee said:
The Manchester World Cup was very good racing. The sprinters times were really impressive. Glaetzer would have to be red hot favourite to win the Kilo at the Commonwealth Games next year after that.
Glaetzer must be favourite for most of the sprint events at the CGs. 9.6 sprint. 59.7 kilo. 4th in the kierin shortly after his second kilo of the day. Wow!

Anyone in favour of a qualifying round for the kilo? Apart from anything else the times seem to be always slower in the final which is something of an anti climax.
 
Aug 18, 2016
314
2
3,285
Re: Re:

idunno said:
Craigee said:
The Manchester World Cup was very good racing. The sprinters times were really impressive. Glaetzer would have to be red hot favourite to win the Kilo at the Commonwealth Games next year after that.
Glaetzer must be favourite for most of the sprint events at the CGs. 9.6 sprint. 59.7 kilo. 4th in the kierin shortly after his second kilo of the day. Wow!

Anyone in favour of a qualifying round for the kilo? Apart from anything else the times seem to be always slower in the final which is something of an anti climax.
True he would have to be the favourite for all three. NZ will be strong favourites for the team sprint of course.

Two rides for the Kilo is a bit weird because it would have to affect the chances of a rider doing multiple events at a major competition. Would Glaetzer be able to do all four sprint events? I guess the team sprint will be three rides like the Olympics and Worlds.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS