• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Broken frame and derailleur holder

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi!

First, I apologize for incredibly dirty bike....
Yesterday derailleur holder broke during riding and it took part of the frame with it :S
I was wondering if anyone knows if I can just install new holder or if the frame is ruined? :S

I hope someone can help :S

Yep, you need a new frame.

The only way to repair that would be to weld it but it's not worth hiring someone when you can just go get a new frame for less than it would be to find someone qualified to weld aluminum on bicycles and even that would be a gamble since welding aluminum is difficult on such a small area. The end result would be brittle, which is the opposite attribute that you want in your frame at that spot. It would probably end up breaking again anyway, even if you found the best aluminum bicycle welder in your area.