• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bryan Coquard Discussion Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In my opinion, Coquard is the Rolland to Demare and Bouhanni’s Bardet and Pinot. It would be nice seeing him at the WT level but I don’t see many races he can win.
I think that’s valid. I remember looking at Demare’s record vs Coquard’s at one stage, to try and work out why one was the main sprinter at a WT team, and the other was relying on invites and wild cards to get a race. I didn’t think there was much to separate them.

Then Demare won Milan San Remo, and a couple of Tour stages and a bunch of other things, but really until about 2016, their careers were about equal.

I think that’s valid. I remember looking at Demare’s record vs Coquard’s at one stage, to try and work out why one was the main sprinter at a WT team, and the other was relying on invites and wild cards to get a race. I didn’t think there was much to separate them.

Then Demare won Milan San Remo, and a couple of Tour stages and a bunch of other things, but really until about 2016, their careers were about equal.
Yeah before 2016 Demare was King of the Little races and just wasn’t winning at the top level. People were even questioning FDJ keeping him instead of Bouhanni, especially after he went and won 5 GT stages and the Giro points classification. Then it swapped with Demare performing and Bouhanni becoming inconsistent.

In my opinion, Coquard is the Rolland to Demare and Bouhanni’s Bardet and Pinot. It would be nice seeing him at the WT level but I don’t see many races he can win.
If Coquard wants to succeed as a bunch sprinter he needs to spend an off season in the gym packing on 4-5kgs of fast twitch muscle. Otherwise he needs to reinvent himself as a puncheur, because he just doesn't have the top end speed for a WT sprinter, he's too light.

Reactions: Bolder and SHAD0W93
If Coquard wants to succeed as a bunch sprinter he needs to spend an off season in the gym packing on 4-5kgs of fast twitch muscle. Otherwise he needs to reinvent himself as a puncheur, because he just doesn't have the top end speed for a WT sprinter, he's too light.
He pushed Kittel to a photo finish on the Tour, I don’t think it’s as simple as a W/kg or even a kg issue. If his weight and how to use it is an issue, I’d say just have him spend his pre-season in Belgium knocking elbows in kermesses and over bergs and hellingen and in crosswinds, and skip Etoile de Besseges.

He pushed Kittel to a photo finish on the Tour, I don’t think it’s as simple as a W/kg or even a kg issue. If his weight and how to use it is an issue, I’d say just have him spend his pre-season in Belgium knocking elbows in kermesses and over bergs and hellingen and in crosswinds, and skip Etoile de Besseges.
That's because his positioning is usually good - really good - and he chooses the right wheel more often than not. A couple of extra kgs of muscle will do Coquard wonders

So he won his 1st WT stage in 10 years. Considering his talent, i think his career is a case of really bad career decisions, dealing with bad management, weak teams and a fixed focus on TDF only. By now he should have had 5-10 GT stage wins. I mean whats the point of training for the TDF if ur not even going to go.

Reactions: StryderHells