• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Budget cuts in Spanish Anti-Doping

Mrs John Murphy said:
Via tennis has a steroid problem

http://www.as.com/mas-deporte/artic...star-mitad-antidopaje/20121110dasdaimas_1/Tes

So as I read it a 50% budget cut and the workforce reduced from 63 to 42. I can't quite work out if this only applies to athletics or across all sports.

Good news for Spanish dopers.

My Spanish is not great so if I've misunderstood the story please correct it.

Probably just for athletics.

They obviously haven't staffed for any other sports.

Dave.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Via tennis has a steroid problem

http://www.as.com/mas-deporte/artic...star-mitad-antidopaje/20121110dasdaimas_1/Tes

So as I read it a 50% budget cut and the workforce reduced from 63 to 42. I can't quite work out if this only applies to athletics or across all sports.

Good news for Spanish dopers.

My Spanish is not great so if I've misunderstood the story please correct it.

they finally realized it's not working anyway.

odriozola was deeply involved in galgo. iirc he was responsible for the hiring of the PED-coach who was at the center of galgo, and he furthermore pleaded for reduced sentences for caught dopers, decisions that were later turned over by CAS (cf. RFEC with Contador).

the article says they've already started firing people and there will be less grants for anti-doping research.

Yeah, this is only for athletics. I don't find it particularly important by itself, in light of all the cuts happening all across the board. The real (and very concerning) story, IMO, is the new antidoping law that's in the works. You can find a scathing analysis of the whole thing (in Spanish) here.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem is, they had 60+ guys working on anti-doping (track&field) but not allowed to catch anybody. No point in throwing money away like that.

TRENDING THREADS