• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Buying your way to a TdF win

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
http://www.marca.com/2009/07/28/ciclismo/1248771533.html

According to this article, Andy Schleck is about to sign a contract with Radio Shack. One of the remaining problems seems to be that Lance doesn't want to sign Frank.

This is not the first time Lance has paid an opponent with chances of beating him in the GC and make him a super-domestique working for Lance. Thus removing the threat using bank checks.

This time it seems even more obvious since Lance is interested in breaking the Schleck dynamic duo.

Thoughts?

PD: the article references L'Equipe as the source, btw.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
This is at least the third thread on this specific topic, and the first one (mine) was (inappropriately, IMHO) moved into the general thread speculating about who will be on RadioShack.

Realized that too late.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
fulcrum said:

According to this article, Andy Schleck is about to sign a contract with Radio Shack. One of the remaining problems seems to be that Lance doesn't want to sign Frank.

This is not the first time Lance has paid an opponent with chances of beating him in the GC and make him a super-domestique working for Lance. Thus removing the threat using bank checks.

This time it seems even more obvious since Lance is interested in breaking the Schleck dynamic duo.

Thoughts?

i think it's legit. if you want to just make a lot of money as a super-dom and never ride as a leader that's your decision. you can just sit at home and count your money and never get a big victory. i have a feeling that you can make plenty of money doing something easier than cycling, and that if you ride this sport at the highest level you should be doing it for glory. if you're not in it to win it, you shouldn't be a champion any way... you should be named andreas klöden.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
i think it's legit. if you want to just make a lot of money as a super-dom and never ride as a leader that's your decision. you can just sit at home and count your money and never get a big victory. i have a feeling that you can make plenty of money doing something easier than cycling, and that if you ride this sport at the highest level you should be doing it for glory. if you're not in it to win it, you shouldn't be a champion any way... you should be named andreas klöden.

Or Levi.

I understand what you are saying. And it is a free world out there and I won't tell a man how to make his living.

That said, the kinds of Kloden and Levi don't get a lot of respect from me. (Even though some in this forum think they are the best thing since slide bread). Cycling is a sport, competition is important. Kneeling themselves like that in front of Armstrong does show a certain greed and lack of pride. It's one of the things I admire in Contador, and you can bet he probably got a big fat offer from Armstrong if he agreed to "fall in line" with the "team strategy" this year and the next.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
fulcrum said:
Or Levi.

I understand what you are saying. And it is a free world out there and I won't tell a man how to make his living.

That said, the kinds of Kloden and Levi don't get a lot of respect from me. (Even though some in this forum think they are the best thing since slide bread). Cycling is a sport, competition is important. Kneeling themselves like that in front of Armstrong does show a certain greed and lack of pride.

agreed. it's also why i really don't feel bad for klöden when he gets dropped by a contador attack. YOU signed up to support HIM, and you can't expect him to fight to get you a free podium spot. sorry, bub, that's what you signed up for. less complaining, more joining milram.

fulcrum said:

Thoughts?

This is an well used tactic in football circles. Have your agent prostitute your services around to the other teams so you can re-sign with your current team on a higher salary. Sure Andy's agent spoke to the nerds at RadioShack and dropped a small hint to some small fry at equipe but there is no chance he's leaving Frank. I know the family and they are tighter than the angles on the Cervelo P4.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I just dont see how it can be true that AS will be domestique. If its true that RadioShack is trying to sign him, they are signing him to be team leader. Why would AS go from 2nd podium to domestique?

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
This is an well used tactic in football circles. Have your agent prostitute your services around to the other teams so you can re-sign with your current team on a higher salary. Sure Andy's agent spoke to the nerds at RadioShack and dropped a small hint to some small fry at equipe but there is no chance he's leaving Frank. I know the family and they are tighter than the angles on the Cervelo P4.

I hope you are right. But I also hope that they don't BOTH go to Radio Shack.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
I just dont see how it can be true that AS will be domestique. If its true that RadioShack is trying to sign him, they are signing him to be team leader. Why would AS go from 2nd podium to domestique?

Money? And we all know how people in Lance's team end up being "team leaders"...

Since the A.Schleck/Radio Shack horse has been well beaten...

I was always infuriated by leaders going to USPS as domestiques: I know it's their choice, but the sports fan in me doesn't like this method of trimming down the opposition.

It unfortunately happens all the time in football, where budgets and teams are unbalanced to the extreme. In cycling the issue is much less pronounced.

It's a pity to see a guy like Zubeldia playing utilities in the TdF. But once again, I realize it was his choice.

Klöden is different though: he obviously doesn't want to be a leader.

frizzlefry said:

Same rationale that caused Armstrong and Bruyneel to believe that Contador would play second fiddle to him.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
ThisFrenchGuy said:
Since the A.Schleck/Radio Shack horse has been well beaten...

I was always infuriated by leaders going to USPS as domestiques: I know it's their choice, but the sports fan in me doesn't like this method of trimming down the opposition.

It unfortunately happens all the time in football, where budgets and teams are unbalanced to the extreme. In cycling the issue is much less pronounced.

It's a pity to see a guy like Zubeldia playing utilities in the TdF. But once again, I realize it was his choice.

Klöden is different though: he obviously doesn't want to be a leader.

I made the same point on a different thread. Add Heras and Basso to your list.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
This is one kid that will become a multiple winner of the TdF if he follows under Lance's tutelage.

Poor Contador is being unfairly ganged up on.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
fulcrum said:
Or Levi.

That said, the kinds of Kloden and Levi don't get a lot of respect from me. (Even though some in this forum think they are the best thing since slide bread). Cycling is a sport, competition is important. Kneeling themselves like that in front of Armstrong does show a certain greed and lack of pride. It's one of the things I admire in Contador, and you can bet he probably got a big fat offer from Armstrong if he agreed to "fall in line" with the "team strategy" this year and the next.

So true. LA wants to win and will surround himself with the best he could hire. It is a business. Will Andreas and Levi decline good money? Lance said the road will dictate who will lead. Of course he knows AC is currently the best and he tried to beat the best with an engine, thirty seven years old and not tuned up for four years. A podium finish for an old fart? Wow. If AC would have listened and learned that there's no "I" in team, Astana would have been 1-2-3. With AC in yellow, LA and AK. Can a soon to be 39 yr old get his 8th? Possible. 2010 will be the most exciting tour. I'll call this the "Payback Tour!" I hope AC goes to GArmin and Hincapie back with LA. You know the story and it will be a bang!

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Teufel Hunden said:
If AC would have listened and learned that there's no "I" in team, Astana would have been 1-2-3. With AC in yellow, LA and AK.

Here is the BIG LIE rearing its ugly head again. Jeez, it won't go away...

It is not true Astana would have had a podium 1-2-3 if it weren't for Contador's "wild pistolero attacks".

Andy Schleck beat Lance fair and square. Contador had nothing to do with that. And you cannot fit AC, AK and LA in the same podium if Schleck is on the 2nd step.

The irony of it is that Lance got his 3rd place thanks to Alberto dropping Kloden (which was a brilliant move, but that's a different discussion).

You hear this "drivel" on Versus and you all run around repeating it like chicken without a head. THINK, damn it. That's what you have a brain for!

May 5, 2009
Visit site
fulcrum said:
Or Levi.

Let's do the math, guys. Levi tried to leave and win the Tour. How'd that work out for him? You're denigrating him for understanding his limitations as an athlete. He is on a team where he gets to win races that he sets his sights on such as the Tour of Cali, then gets to support the best riders in the world as they win the biggest bike races in the world. Sorry, I don't see a single thing wrong with that. Very few people are truly gifted and great enough to win something like the Tour, regardless of the team.

Levi and Kloden both work their a$$es off. I think that deserves nothing but respect. Does Frank Schleck not deserve your respect because he races for his brother?

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
colwildcat said:
Let's do the math, guys. Levi tried to leave and win the Tour. How'd that work out for him? You're denigrating him for understanding his limitations as an athlete. He is on a team where he gets to win races that he sets his sights on such as the Tour of Cali, then gets to support the best riders in the world as they win the biggest bike races in the world. Sorry, I don't see a single thing wrong with that. Very few people are truly gifted and great enough to win something like the Tour, regardless of the team.

Levi and Kloden both work their a$$es off. I think that deserves nothing but respect. Does Frank Schleck not deserve your respect because he races for his brother?

Has Kloden tried to win the Tour with a good team supporting him? Regarding Levi, I hear what you are saying. He tried, but he tried only once. IMO is better to keep trying and falling short (Ulrich minus his actual win) than to try once, acknowledge ones limitations (what ever happened to improving yourself...) and give up your chances entirely. Then again Levi and Kloden are not necessarily at the same level...

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Same rationale that caused Armstrong and Bruyneel to believe that Contador would play second fiddle to him.

the primary differences being:

1. contador was already with bruyneel when lance joined.
2. contador didn't want to stay.
3. bruyneel wouldn't let him leave.
4. it didn't work out. everyone left upset and "2nd fiddle" won.

it's an altogether different situation.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:

he would be going as Team Leader or Co-team leader. AS will need to improve his TT ability to compete with AC.

I'd like to see the move, he certainly can learn alot under LA & JB

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:
he would be going as Team Leader or Co-team leader. AS will need to improve his TT ability to compete with AC.

I'd like to see the move, he certainly learn alot under LA & JB

It'd certainly be an interesting move, but I just don't think Lance has the clout and pull with the riders that he used to. Having said that, Andy did speak highly of him during race interviews. Maybe the deal is to team up to beat Contador. Andy gets the Tour and Lance keeps his record 7 wins secure. A real spiteful move.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
It'd certainly be an interesting move, but I just don't think Lance has the clout and pull with the riders that he used to. Having said that, Andy did speak highly of him during race interviews. Maybe the deal is to team up to beat Contador. Andy gets the Tour and Lance keeps his record 7 wins secure. A real spiteful move.

Not a spiteful move, just good team tactics between competitors.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:

I'd like to see the move, he certainly can learn alot under LA & JB

He won't need a ton of time in the TT if they can take minutes out of AC in the TTT and a couple of tactical mountain missions.

TRENDING THREADS