• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

calories

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone take a stab at average or typical amount of calories burned by a rider on one of the more difficult stages of a race like the Giro or Tour? I assume they take in about 300-600 (?) calories ala gels, food, and drink. I could be off though as I have no idea really. So with their intake taken into account, any ideas on calories spent?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
I can't say how much they burn on a perticular stage but I think I've read that they eat in the range of 6-8000 calories per day during at least some parts of a GT.

interesting... without knowing whether this is mostly before, mostly after, mostly during, etc., it doesn't put much into perspective.

Anybody else??

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
mombus said:
interesting... without knowing whether this is mostly before, mostly after, mostly during, etc., it doesn't put much into perspective.

Anybody else??

TEAM COLUMBIA MENU 9000 calories

STAGE 17, TOUR DE FRANCE 2008
Breakfast

• Banana (1)
• Muesli (150 gr)
• Pasta (150 gr -- weight is non-cooked)
• Croissant with chocolate (1)
• Coffee (250 ml)
• Soy milk (300 gr)
• Mixed fruits (200 gr)
• Orange juice (300 ml)

Pre-race

• Pasta (150 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

Race

• PowerBar (4)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• PowerBar carbo drink (4000 ml)
• PowerBar energy gels (4)
• Coca-Cola (400 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (2)
• Water (1000 ml)

Post-race

• Recovery drink (500 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (1)
• PowerBar (1)
• Coca-Cola (330 ml)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• Water (400 ml)

Dinner

• Mixed vegetables (200 gr)
• Pasta (200 gr)
• Chicken breast (250 gr)
• Sauce (100 gr)
• Plain yogurt (350 gr)
• Mixed fruits (150 gr)
• Water (800 ml)

Pre-sleep

• Gum/sweets (100 gr)
• Chocolate (25 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=stein/090701

mombus said:

Anybody else??

Well if you look at that as an average and compare it to a normal diet or a couple thousand calories then you can pretty much extrapolate how much extra energy they use each day and most of that extra energy is of course spent on the bike.

If you want better figures I guess the only way to get a more exact measure is to get hold of some wattage data from an entire stage and calculate their energy consumption.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If anyone tries to tell you, that you or anyone else, can burn more than 1200 calories per hour at anything less than time trial effort, they have read some bs and have never spent time training or racing with a power meter.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I never claimed I heard that. I'd assume a rider burns a few thousand calories on a hilly stage but I just don't know. Plus you can't really compare time trial output or effort with a 4 hour stage chock full of climbs. It's simply different.

Its depends on the rider!

Do you weigh 90kg or 48kg? Are you going for GC or saving your juice for the sprints next week?

At least 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day as a MINIMUM. Anywhere up to 30g of carbs a day.

My record is 72 large bananas in a day and I think Im heading out with Lance Armstrong again today. We will see. (The funny thing is that 99% of people that read that statement will think its not true.) ;)

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
mombus said:
very cool, thanks. So do you know how much a decent rider burns in a tough stage?

Testing. Riders at the end of a stage have their HeartRate, weight and wattage downloaded. And from the test done in the off season at 'institutes' then can measure the calories burned very precisely.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
durianrider said:

Do you weigh 90kg or 48kg? Are you going for GC or saving your juice for the sprints next week?

At least 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day as a MINIMUM. Anywhere up to 30g of carbs a day.

My record is 72 large bananas in a day and I think Im heading out with Lance Armstrong again today. We will see. (The funny thing is that 99% of people that read that statement will think its not true.) ;)

These have nothing to do with the question :p how many calories do those 10 g of carbs contain ? that would've been a better answer m8 ;) and say 'hi' to lance from me :p

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Work = Power x Time

If you get the average power for the stage and the duration, power in Watts times duration in seconds gives work in Joules. Divide the result by 4200 and you get the Kcalories spent.

Then you have to take into account:
1) The efficiency factor of conversion between energy intake (what's in the food) and work produced of about 20% or a bit less.
2) The base energy consumption the rider would have at rest during that time

That's all about the maths.

Now the difficult thing to do is to get realistic numbers of average power (which varies with rider weight, pace, wind, etc)

This video lecture from MIT discusses a bit on the issue:

http://www.academicearth.org/lectures/satellite-orbits-energy-power

Michielveedeebee said:
These have nothing to do with the question :p how many calories do those 10 g of carbs contain ? that would've been a better answer m8 ;) and say 'hi' to lance from me :p

A calory is the amount of energy which is needed to increase the heat of 1 gram of water by 1 degree celcius.

Using this information i am confident you can work that out for yourself michael ;)

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I reckon an epic GT stage at elite contender requires 5-6000 kcal on top of your normal metabolic rate

Looking at my own records a mere 100 -120 KM ride with 2000-3000m climbing is 3-4000 kcal and that is way below race pace ( but riding in pro peloton is much more efficient ) 160km 4-5000m climbing at race pace - maybe 5/6000 is on the low side...

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
durianrider said:

Of all the ridiculous things that you have posted, this takes the cake. I would love to see a picture of those jersey pockets! Or do all "pro" tourists have follow cars?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
mombus said:
Can anyone take a stab at average or typical amount of calories burned by a rider on one of the more difficult stages of a race like the Giro or Tour? I assume they take in about 300-600 (?) calories ala gels, food, and drink. I could be off though as I have no idea really. So with their intake taken into account, any ideas on calories spent?

they burn thousands and take in thousands if not the next day your screwed. on some mountain climbs bottles will be concentrated with 700+ calories of mainly carb/sugar sources.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
I can't say how much they burn on a perticular stage but I think I've read that they eat in the range of 6-8000 calories per day during at least some parts of a GT.

yeah like 5 to 8000 is what i would think as well. i personally have gone over 5000 in a long race with much climbing.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:

your quite silly you just like screwing with people on here huh?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
this is from memory but if i remember this is correct.
carbohydrate per gram 4.5 calories
protein per gram 4 calories
fat per gram 9 calories
all are burned and stored differently regarding fiber/fat levels vitamin/mineral content etc... and all are of equal importance at different times during before after racing. most every pro i know at low and high levels take a number of supplements to compliment a good diet cycling depletes the body quickly. if we are all not careful with diet we will soon be crazed like duriander.:D

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
A calory is the amount of energy which is needed to increase the heat of 1 gram of water by 1 degree celcius.

Using this information i am confident you can work that out for yourself michael ;)
True, but when people are using Calorie in this thread, they are talking about 'big' Calories, or kilocalories. So one Cal or Kcal is the amount of energy which is needed to increase the heat of 1 kilogram of water by 1 degree celcius.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

yeah I know that :p I've got to learn that for chemistry and/or physics
But it's way to much work to do if it's not on an exam :p It's easier to let Durian explain it as he's an expert on the matter ;)