• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can newer Shimano chains use a masterlink?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
marathon marke said:
I'm talking about the newer uni-directional Ultegra or Dura-Ace chains?

Edit: What I mean is a removable link, where I don't have to replace a pin every time I want to remove the chain.

I'm using one of the SRAM 10sp masterlinks ... the black one that apparently cannot be reused ... took quite a push on the pedal to lock it too !!! Runs perfectly so far.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi there!

We are talking about powerlock, masterlink, powerlink wtf:D. Sram Powerlock link can not be reusable as i discover last week. Power link can.

So i am buying a KMC missing link (and Connex i think) for Sram 10 spd chain because i need something which i can use more then one time.

It is compatible with Shimano 10spd chains as well, and there is another link which works with Campy chains from KMC.

So producers likes that link names. I am wondering why Sram introduce at all power lock???? It is s...., so i am buying KMC missing link two pairs for about 14 euros, wtf?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
oldborn said:
Hi there!

We are talking about powerlock, masterlink, powerlink wtf:D. Sram Powerlock link can not be reusable as i discover last week. Power link can.

So i am buying a KMC missing link (and Connex i think) for Sram 10 spd chain because i need something which i can use more then one time.

It is compatible with Shimano 10spd chains as well, and there is another link which works with Campy chains from KMC.

So producers likes that link names. I am wondering why Sram introduce at all power lock???? It is s...., so i am buying KMC missing link two pairs for about 14 euros, wtf?

I'd forget about the KMC link. I used one on a DA 9spd chain and it never locked on properly resulting in a dropped chain (luckily only a few miles from home). The SRAM link works great for me though. Maybe the KMC 10sp link works better?

Bustedknuckle said:
Yes, I use the Wipperman, great results.

Bustedknuckle, are you using the Wipperman link on a newer uni-directional Shimano chain? I read somewhere that they aren't compatible. Also, I saw in the second review listed here, that this link might be a problem with Shimano 10-speed chains.

Thanks!

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
marathon marke said:
Bustedknuckle, are you using the Wipperman link on a newer uni-directional Shimano chain? I read somewhere that they aren't compatible. Also, I saw in the second review listed here, that this link might be a problem with Shimano 10-speed chains.

Thanks!

Yes i am also on that. The Campagnolo chain has been designed to work with a Campagnolo cassette.
I have heard of people trying to use this link with their SRAM cassettes and the chain will not shift correctly to the small sprockets.
If you are using a SRAM cassette I would also advise using a SRAM chain to avoid any compatibility issues.

I am waiting my KMC missing link, guy on ebay told me that should be no problem at all with Sram 10 spd chain and Miche cassette with that link. So...:rolleyes:

oldborn said:
Yes i am also on that. The Campagnolo chain has been designed to work with a Campagnolo cassette.
I have heard of people trying to use this link with their SRAM cassettes and the chain will not shift correctly to the small sprockets.
If you are using a SRAM cassette I would also advise using a SRAM chain to avoid any compatibility issues.

I'm using Shimano cassettes and chains. I don't know about SRAM, but I've heard a similar problem when using this link with Shimano. It seems they were installing the link upside down, and that's why it didn't sit properly in the smaller (11 tooth) sprocket. Apparently, if it's installed properly, it works fine with an 11 tooth sprocket. I wonder if that might also be the case with using it with SRAM.

Whatever the case, I'm asking specifically about Shimano compatibility.

marathon marke said:

Thanks!

Yep, they work fine on the 7900/6700/5700 chains...as well as with the 'older' shimano 10s chains. They are all 5.9mm afterall.

oldborn said:

I am waiting my KMC missing link, guy on ebay told me that should be no problem at all with Sram 10 spd chain and Miche cassette with that link. So...:rolleyes:

?? All 10s chains are 5.9mm and all are cross compatible. With or w/o this link. I have installed the Wipperman link on all chain types and cross used with lots of different non matched cogsets and they all work fine.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
?? All 10s chains are 5.9mm and all are cross compatible. With or w/o this link. I have installed the Wipperman link on all chain types and cross used with lots of different non matched cogsets and they all work fine.

??? No they are not, Shimano Dura Ace lenght 5,88:cool:, just joking. I just mount KMC Missing link on Sram chain it seems fine. It is note on the box that say compatible with Shimano 10spd chains, but as you said they all work fine.
Thanks!