• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can we talk about Qatar?

There isn't much to talk about...

Boonen, Cavendish, Petacchi, Bennati, Galimzyanov, KRvH, Bos, Haussler, GUARDINI and others.

A riveting sprint-fest in the desert, the stages don't even have profiles as it's all flat, no KoM classifcation!

At least last year we had some sort of chaos in the wind on the opening road stage.

The most exciting feature will be seeing who wins the 2km Prologue (not sure how often you get an elite field in such a short TT).

Alas, it's the first race of the season on Eurosport, so I'm sure there will be plenty watching it.

Starts on Sunday.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
DOes anyone know whether Eurosport will show this again, because as of yet I have not found anything in their programming, which seems odd, seeing as they did show it last year

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
A riveting sprint-fest in the desert, the stages don't even have profiles as it's all flat, no KoM classifcation!

Is there not even a bridge they cross to count as a mountain?! :p

Looking forward to seeing the Sean Kelly team in action - but that's because I'm Irish! I can't imagine that's too exciting for anyone else here!!!

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually Phinney is riding as well. I guess it is too much to ask for him to be in good form as well to see the Wiggins vs Phinney match up that will never be thanks to the UCI and IOC.

Im hoping to see Boonen raking in those points.

Barrus said:
DOes anyone know whether Eurosport will show this again, because as of yet I have not found anything in their programming, which seems odd, seeing as they did show it last year

THere was an advert for it yesterday. Theyll be showing it live on Sunday on eurosport 2

Ferminal said:
2k should be too short.

If what they say about Renshaw is true - that he can hold 60km/h for hundreds of m where sprinters hold 65km/h for a short distance, such a short prologue might just could suit him. If hes riding though.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

THere was an advert for it yesterday. Theyll be showing it live on Sunday on eurosport 2

If what they say about Renshaw is true - that he can hold 60km/h for hundreds of m where sprinters hold 65km/h for a short distance, such a short prologue might just could suit him. If hes riding though.

Great apparently not on Dutch Eurosport 2 :(

May 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Actually he can hold closer to 70km/h......he is riding and it will suit him but whether or not he actually goes for it is another story. I hope he does because he could win it. Phinny is also a fav. in my opinion

The Hitch said:
meh its not that bad. Im having the nasty feeling that British Eurosport is giving us stuff like Quatar because they plan to for the second year in a row deprive us of the most important grand tour stage of the year.

I have to say that although, in the past I have been a critic of British Eurosport and their tendency to, "do their own thing".
However, in regards to last year's cycling coverage, they played a blinder.
Lost races returned to their screens, but the rest of Europe were left in the dark.

A major bummer is their tennis lust and the fact that the deadly dull clay court version is in full swing, during the Giro's final week.

Brit ES 2 schedules show a scant, 60 minutes live, (it will probably feel like a lot longer) for each Qatar stage. Oman is also scheduled for ES 2, although the timings are not yet available, to see if it's live or not.
As David Harmon said he would be commentating, I suspect it will be live for the first time.

Maybe, to save time with the Qatar stage profiles, we could cut and past those from the TDU?:rolleyes:;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I have to say that although, in the past I have been a critic of British Eurosport and their tendency to, "do their own thing".
However, in regards to last year's cycling coverage, they played a blinder.
Lost races returned to their screens, but the rest of Europe were left in the dark.

A major bummer is their tennis lust and the fact that the deadly dull clay court version is in full swing, during the Giro's final week.

Brit ES 2 schedules show a scant, 60 minutes live, (it will probably feel like a lot longer) for each Qatar stage. Oman is also scheduled for ES 2, although the timings are not yet available, to see if it's live or not.
As David Harmon said he would be commentating, I suspect it will be live for the first time.

Maybe, to save time with the Qatar stage profiles, we could cut and past those from the TDU?:rolleyes:;)

Clay court season is not dull :eek:

Just the Brits hoping to win a Grand Slam again. Yeah, like that will ever happen xD

on3m@n@rmy said:
When I go to http://www.Eurosportplayer.com or *.co.uk I just get a bad message "Sorry, Eurosport Player is currently not available for viewing in your geographical location". I guess not available in US. Anyone get it to work in the US?

I gather it is only available in your home country, so to speak. I had a subscription, but could only get the German Eurosport.

I let my subscription go, it wasn't worth it. I could see everything free either on tv or on a livestream.

Susan