• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Canadians in their own Festina fiasco

He stole some wins. This one about a minute in front of some others in a thin field based on one of his team mates pulling for him. http://pedalmag.com/?p=135623&c

This link suggests he was employed at Louis Garneau. http://translate.google.com/transla...:en-US:official&biw=1189&bih=794&prmd=imvnsuo

Louis Garneau himself went to the police: http://translate.google.com/transla...:en-US:official&biw=1189&bih=794&prmd=imvnsuo

Better results link: He did lots of stealing
http://translate.google.com/transla...:en-US:official&biw=1189&bih=794&prmd=imvnsuo

I hope those links work.
 
Agreda is the last one...

One more: Mr. Garneau guarantees Agreda was the last one. The story mentions Mr. Garneau as director of said team.....

http://translate.googleusercontent....2B.htm&usg=ALkJrhjxvPPbxHzDBwzWmfrIBfemkTJ1mQ

The sad story of Geneviève Jeanson starts in Quebec at least three years ago. So, the illegal stuff has been up there for a good while. If you haven't read Ms. Jeanson's whole story, it's pretty ugly.
 
Jan 27, 2010
921
0
0
Visit site
masking_agent said:
It appears we have another Festina on our hands, except in Canada.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...om-Canadian-Garneau-team-to-admit-doping.aspx :eek:

Canada is a developed country just like its bordering nation. But, you cannot buy EPO at the pharmacy like in some European countries. I think this title is a little over the top.

What is the incidence of doping in Canada relative to the US or Europe?

And, one of those "Canadian" riders was from S. America. Doping is like Alcoholism... it knows no boundries.

NW
 
Neworld said:
Canada is a developed country just like its bordering nation. But, you cannot buy EPO at the pharmacy like in some European countries. I think this title is a little over the top.

What is the incidence of doping in Canada relative to the US or Europe?

And, one of those "Canadian" riders was from S. America. Doping is like Alcoholism... it knows no boundries.

NW

You can find EPO and derivatives thereof on the Internets and presumably get it sent to your door.

Incidence of doping is very difficult to track. Research into socially unacceptable activities that are illegal do not use census methods. How many honest answers would you really get?

How does current or past nationality affect the story? The story is happening in Canada, presumably in Quebec.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Visit site
Interesting.....both apology letters sound very similiar.
And both ending with "and that is all I will say on the matter"

I'm so sorry
I acted alone
Thats all I have to say
 
Dec 30, 2010
850
0
0
Visit site
Polish said:
Interesting.....both apology letters sound very similiar.
And both ending with "and that is all I will say on the matter"

I'm so sorry
I acted alone
Thats all I have to say


In spite of the prepared statement for an apology, owning up to their CHEATING, shows WAY more character, than some people (LIE, and DESTROY those who tell the truth).

Know anyone that did the latter, Polish ?
 
Jan 27, 2010
921
0
0
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
This story has some bombs that might/might not go off]

Someone in the comments claims at least 5 riders were positive, possibly 8 because of testing at a regional event! Where in that count are the two already public? Dunno.

wow, 8! yikes, I hadn't read that. Thanks for the info, not a good story for my home country. Shocker, but not really.

What is going on in their heads?

NW
 
Jun 19, 2011
40
0
0
Visit site
It's worth noting that Louis Garneau (the man, not the team/company) is referring the matter of the source of the doping to police (not specific whether that's the Quebec police or the RCMP).

Mr. Garneau: "I discussed the situation yesterday with Steve Bauer (currently in Belgium with his team) and we have come to the same conclusion: we now have to go to the source and find out who the suppliers of performance enhancing drugs are, something that will involve the police over the next few weeks."

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=22930
 
DirtyWorks said:
One more: Mr. Garneau guarantees Agreda was the last one. The story mentions Mr. Garneau as director of said team.....

http://translate.googleusercontent....2B.htm&usg=ALkJrhjxvPPbxHzDBwzWmfrIBfemkTJ1mQ

The sad story of Geneviève Jeanson starts in Quebec at least three years ago. So, the illegal stuff has been up there for a good while. If you haven't read Ms. Jeanson's whole story, it's pretty ugly.

I remember watching a CBC program on her, leading up to the Olympics. It was so incredibly fawning. The fawning was Armstrong-like. Awhile later come the Aubut-Jeanson revelations. Aubut was an abuser and Jeanson his little puppet-girl. While emotional and physical abuse goes on, the parents are onlookers. So sick.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Visit site
dougvdh said:
It's worth noting that Louis Garneau (the man, not the team/company) is referring the matter of the source of the doping to police (not specific whether that's the Quebec police or the RCMP).

Mr. Garneau: "I discussed the situation yesterday with Steve Bauer (currently in Belgium with his team) and we have come to the same conclusion: we now have to go to the source and find out who the suppliers of performance enhancing drugs are, something that will involve the police over the next few weeks."

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=22930

Thanks for the link to that inspiring team statement!
LOL there is a "beer" pulldown link in the "Canadian Cyclist" menu.

Seriously though, alcohol related injuries and deaths in youngsters far outweigh those from PEDS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNRlcjz3acU&feature=relmfu
.
.
.
 
Aug 12, 2010
63
0
0
Visit site
remember Ben Johnson?

We as Canadians have gotten off relatively light in doping scandals save for Ben Johnson in the 1988 Olympics and the G. Jeanson affair. Steve Bauer is often viewed as a relatively clean rider. Ryder Hesjedal came from a mountain biking program to get decent results. Michael Barry? Maybe most Canadian riders have not progressed to the elite level where doping can make a difference.

As for the "patriotic Canadians wouldn't dope" argument, we have "esteemed" hockey personality Don Cherry who took exception with **** Pound a few years back. Pound said that doping (steriods, HGH) were common in the NHL. Of course our "good Canadian boys" wouldn't take an edge, especially if there's no testing!?!
 
Feb 25, 2011
101
0
0
Visit site
Aurellion Passeron rode for the same Louis Garneau team in 2010, having previously been Rico's teammate on the Saunier Duval-Scott team that got thrown out of the TdF with Rico. Seeing a former ProTour guy, from one of the dirtiest teams ever, tearing up the "test free" North American crit scene doesn't exactly say "I'm racing clean." Given the similarity of the two apologies and the connection to Passeron, I think this is a team-wide effort.
 
Aug 27, 2009
33
0
0
Visit site
I hope this is not a team wide effort. I will be more than a little irked if I lost an overall podium at Altoona to an organized doping program. Papillon was there, but DNF'd on stage 3...
 
MarkvW said:
I remember watching a CBC program on her, leading up to the Olympics. It was so incredibly fawning. The fawning was Armstrong-like. Awhile later come the Aubut-Jeanson revelations. Aubut was an abuser and Jeanson his little puppet-girl. While emotional and physical abuse goes on, the parents are onlookers. So sick.

In a similar vein I was at a celebration for the legendary hockey great Maurice "Rocket" Richard at the then Molson Centre in Montreal shortly after his death in 2000 (IIRC). Of the order of ten thousand people attended to pay homage to an absolute icon of Quebec sport. Genevieve was at the height of her "game" and was of the special invitees. She was feted on stage as another example of little Quebec showing it to the world. The subterfuge in that context was sickening.

Regarding the Garneau-Club Chaussures team story - no surprise at all - doping is a world-wide issue in virtually every sport. Although my guess is there is no way Louis himself was involved - too much at stake with his brand.
 
pleyser said:
We as Canadians have gotten off relatively light in doping scandals save for Ben Johnson in the 1988 Olympics and the G. Jeanson affair. Steve Bauer is often viewed as a relatively clean rider. Ryder Hesjedal came from a mountain biking program to get decent results. Michael Barry? Maybe most Canadian riders have not progressed to the elite level where doping can make a difference.

As for the "patriotic Canadians wouldn't dope" argument, we have "esteemed" hockey personality Don Cherry who took exception with **** Pound a few years back. Pound said that doping (steriods, HGH) were common in the NHL. Of course our "good Canadian boys" wouldn't take an edge, especially if there's no testing!?!

Didn't Steve assure us, repeatedly, that there was no doping in Canadian Cycling? Or, that cycling had the most effective anti-doping system?

Isn't there a string of emails from Steve complaining to WADA that cycling has been unfairly singled out (e.g. as compared to ice hockey)?

It may not be fair to single him out.

Then again, he didn't have to make the statements. What could Garneau accomplish by contacting Steve, other than to mount a disinformation campaign?

Dave.

(P.S. Sorry Steve. I have tremendous respect for you generally. But, on this topic, less so. You could make a big difference by taking a different path.)
 
Jun 19, 2011
40
0
0
Visit site
D-Queued said:
. . . Isn't there a string of emails from Steve complaining to WADA that cycling has been unfairly singled out (e.g. as compared to ice hockey)? . . .)

Steve is correct that cycling has garnered more attention that most other sports in Canada as to anti-doping. Cycling is has incurred the second highest number of tests according to CCES records after the entire field of Athletics. In terms of participation levels, this means that the per participant level of testing of cycling is many, many times higher than hockey or football (the kind with a pointy brown ball).

In terms of doping violations, football and weight-lifting are clearly leading the pack. In cycling there are only two current sanctions against riders (Papillon and Jeanson) and two against coaches. A sanction against Agreda has not been formally announced as of yet.

Current doping suspensions: http://www.cces.ca/en/sanctionreg
Latest testing numbers from CCES: http://www.cces.ca/en/statistics
 
D-Queued said:
Didn't Steve assure us, repeatedly, that there was no doping in Canadian Cycling? Or, that cycling had the most effective anti-doping system?

Isn't there a string of emails from Steve complaining to WADA that cycling has been unfairly singled out (e.g. as compared to ice hockey)?

It may not be fair to single him out.

Then again, he didn't have to make the statements. What could Garneau accomplish by contacting Steve, other than to mount a disinformation campaign?

Dave.

(P.S. Sorry Steve. I have tremendous respect for you generally. But, on this topic, less so. You could make a big difference by taking a different path.)

Well, I think that between Garneau and Bauer, you pretty much capture the peak of retired pro cycling in Canada. It seems like competitive cycling isn't a big sport in Canada, so it kind of follows that it's a pretty close group near the top.

I was ready to call Garneau out for employing a Saunier Duval rider, but really, that's the norm in cycling. Dirty.

It's critical to understand Bauer is complaining to the wrong agency. It sounds like the Canadian Anti-doping agency is as constrained by federations as USADA. Bauer should have taken his issue directly to the hockey federation(s?) He's not advocating less transparency for cycling. Hes advocating equitable treatment to which the larger sports federations would never agree for fear of putting a federation in disrepute. (like cycling) Instead, they just point to cycling and say, "Not my problem!!!! LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA there's no doping because the hockey federation can't see it!!! We all agreed to keep our eyes closed! Look over there at cycling instead!"

Cycling has earned it though. We can thank the UCI and somewhat the IOC for that.

dougvdh, I'd argue that cyclists have more positives because by the description in Bauer's emails, cyclists are being tested with greater frequency. Also we don't know if the test protocol is the same for all sports. We don't know if the other federations are managing their positives like the UCI does, secretly and entirely on a case-by-case basis.

If a federation is smart, they test for things that their athletes don't use, announce tests so athletes can clean up, etc. This is already a common practice in cycling. During the CERA years, Zomnegan of the Giro explicitly did not test for CERA and had a 'clean' race. This year's Vuelta stands out as another very, very suspiciously clean race despite enormous power output on the steepest stages.

My impression of the Canadian cycling federation is they at least aspire to some overall transparency in anti-doping and seem perfectly willing to out the dopers associated with a very high profile cycling personality. A temporary discomfort for the long-term good of maintaining a clean reputation. That would never happen in the U.S. because it damages Weisel's reputation as exalted leader of the USACDF and the riders he developed.
 
Jan 27, 2010
921
0
0
Visit site
pleyser said:
We as Canadians have gotten off relatively light in doping scandals save for Ben Johnson in the 1988 Olympics and the G. Jeanson affair. Steve Bauer is often viewed as a relatively clean rider. Ryder Hesjedal came from a mountain biking program to get decent results. Michael Barry? Maybe most Canadian riders have not progressed to the elite level where doping can make a difference.

As for the "patriotic Canadians wouldn't dope" argument, we have "esteemed" hockey personality Don Cherry who took exception with **** Pound a few years back. Pound said that doping (steriods, HGH) were common in the NHL. Of course our "good Canadian boys" wouldn't take an edge, especially if there's no testing!?!

Lets leave B. Johnson out of this. He was doped to the gills but no more than the entire Carl Lewis gang and was singled out in a vortex of liver swelling doping rivals. The Canadian media destroyed him over and over...for decades.

As for Don Cherry...I agree. For some reason there is a cult of ignorant Canadians that believe his hard-lined, show stopping, antics for 3 mins every Sat night is accurate. He is full ***. As a former Junior B hockey player, with lifetime friends that play or played in the NHL... I can tell you that Steroids, coke, and amphetamines are rampant in the NHL. Cherry is wrong and is equivalent to tards like Phil Ligget and Bobkie.

Cycling and doping in Canada is no different that any other European or American country, except you can only ride your bike outside for 8-9 months of the year (depending on your locale).
 
Louis Garneau Does the Right Thing

I genuinely hope Louis Garneau is the real thing, because he's made what sounds like a decent anti-doping start for a local team.

http://pedalmag.com/?p=144214&c

Anti-doping education for riders:
Two dope tests: I hope they are random and testing for EPO/CERA

However, Garneau used the 'acted alone' line to close all discussion of how it is a young rider gets the PED's, how long it had been going on, etc. No talk of law enforcement involvement like an earlier article. Hopefully there's something for law enforcement to do.

C'mon Louis finish the job! If law enforcement is done, the right thing to do is to give a fuller report. Perhaps reporting through the CCES? Emulating the UCI's anti-doping efforts isn't going to slow the doping down one bit.
 
Dec 30, 2010
850
0
0
Visit site
As much as I would like to say that Canada's performance at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics was great, you don't go from never winning a gold medal on home soil, to breaking the record for gold medals like Canada did, without some help.

By the way, I am Canadian (as would be pointed out by many here, "it would be hypocritical" of me to defend Canada for an extremely suspicious result).

I think that home countries look the other way (Spain 92, Bejing 2008, Canada 2010...) when the Olympics are coming to their country. Some countries never stop looking the other way at their heroes' doping, even well after the Olympics have gone, unfortunately.