• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cannondale Teramo helmet issue

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a C'dale Teramo helmet which I liked a lot at first, but the PADS are just cr*p. They have disintegrated after just a few months.. totally coming apart. LBS has no replacements and say they are NOT available from C'dale.
What's up with that!!
So, I tried to contact C'dale through their website, but have not received any reply... whats more, there was no way to know if they even received my e-mail...
I can not recommend this helmet... do not buy the Teramo.
Anuone else having this problem?

Ruby60 said:
I have a C'dale Teramo helmet which I liked a lot at first, but the PADS are just cr*p. They have disintegrated after just a few months.. totally coming apart. LBS has no replacements and say they are NOT available from C'dale.
What's up with that!!
So, I tried to contact C'dale through their website, but have not received any reply... whats more, there was no way to know if they even received my e-mail...

Didja get it thru a LBS? Go there, ask for warranty. If bought online, go there..

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Helmet was team issue... we advertise C'dale prominently on our kit. I have to assume that C'dale supplied helmets to the team...

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Ruby60 said:
What's up with that!!

Go here to buy replacements pads - other places sell them as well:
http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Teramo-Replacement-Helmet-Pads_p_1566.html

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for the information as to where to buy the pads! I had looked on ebay and other stores and was not able to find a seller. I was told by my LBS C'dale dealer that they weren't available... looks like they're available now. Thanks again Neil!

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Cannondale response

Today I received a reply from Cannondale: " please contact the Retailer where the helmet was purchased. Tho the pads are out of stock, perhaps with the help of their C-dale Rep, they can strip from a sample helmet for you.
CSG Customer Service"

Wow.. such great customer service... I orginally contacted them on 9/5/2012 and here it is 10/2/2012...almost a month to get a reply and to tell me the pads are out of stock. Customer service ignored the fact that they are a sponsor of my team... I guess they're just too big for their britches!

Anyway, thanks to Neil's advice and cannondaleexperts.com , I was able to purchase a new set of pads and received them in the mail a week ago.

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Happy to Help! In return - how do you find the helmet? Is it well vented, does it generate a lot of wind noise? I'm looking for a new helmet and am considering thisone, the Giro Aeon or Rudy Windmax (can get the latter 2 at discounted prices). Would like to get your thoughts and opinions!

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Neil, I actually like the helmet a lot.
It has lots of vents, both front and rear, so there's plenty of air flow through. I use a skull cap ( 'cause I am hair challenged - to stop sunburn...and to keep the occasional insect off my scalp...ever had a bee fly into your helmet....) and I don't feel like my head overheats at all.
The helmet retention system is good too...adjustment dial in the back, so easy to adjust while on the bike.
Helmet straps are good and the "clips" used to adjust them are reliable in that they have never slipped or opened up accidentally.
There are NO sharp projections inside the helmet...unlike some other lids I've had.
I haven't noticed any problem with wind noise.
My only issue is with the QUALITY of the pads. As I mentioned prior, my original pads just came apart. There's three layers: 1st layer for attachment to the velcro tabs, 2nd layer is foam for padding (? there's not much there) and the 3rd top layer which is perforated for cooling and sweat elimination I guess. So, the pads appear to be heat sealed around the periphery to hold the three layers together, but it is insufficient... there's just not enough surface area there to get a good attachment. Being as flimsy as they are, even removal for cleaning may be something to be avoided... I'm thinking of immersing the entire helmet for cleaning instead of removing the pads.
I guess the ultimate question is: Would I buy one myself? (Mine is team supplied) Yes..if I didn't know about the pads. But now...probably not.
Hope this helps.... and thank you for helping me locate the new pads.

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Helmet update

Had a bad crash and hit my head HARD. Terrano helmet smashed and cracked all along the impact side... but it did the job of protecting my head as CT scan of my head was OK.
Funny thing: EMT looked inside the helmet and asked if I had REMOVED the pads!
No... they're just so minimal. If you remember this post started because of the crummy pads... it wasn't the pads that protected my noggin....

I'll be getting another one of these helmets!

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Ruby60 said:
Funny thing: EMT looked inside the helmet and asked if I had REMOVED the pads!

I wonder why - my understanding is that the foam material absorbs crash energy. The pads are there for fit and allow some air space between head and the plastic foam material.