• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Canyon Aeroad or Airstreeem super tt road

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Under BB brakes are terrible. Not much of an issue for a TT bike but for a road bike I'd keep away from them.

If you're looking to be competitive in tri then, in reality, you need at least TT bike. If that's the case then buying an in-between bike will ultimately mean selling it on when you need a TT bike and a more road focussed bike. No frame aero benefits are going to make up for the loss of a proper aero position and the fact that tri bikes can break the UCI 3:1 rules. If it's just for "fun" tri riding focus on the road aspect of the bike. Giant Propel seems a popular option for this kind of thing, apparently the new iteration of the brakes are much better.

If it's not going to be a dedicated "race bike" and used for everyday riding, get a proper road bike. As KB says, stay away from under BB brakes (although they do make the rear of the bike look very clean and cool). It is actually somewhat crazy to think that the rear brake sheltering in the turbulence from the front of the bike, the riders churning legs, the seat-tube and the seat-stays themselves makes any meaningful contribution to drag. BB-mounted brakes are marketing BS. Have them rub three times on a climb (they will) and you've lost the 6 micro-seconds you saved. I wouldn't mind betting that the strange front brakes on that Airstreem are pretty crap, too.

It looks like the brakes on the Propel which are basically V-brakes I think Winkybiker. A few club mates have them and say they are fine but require more care and maintenance than road calipers. Personally I also wouldn't bother with them and would be looking at something with direct mount calipers at most but most likely just standard mount road calipers or discs.

If it must be a choice between those two bikes then get the Canyon. It's better equipped, better thought out and probably better supported by the manufacturer. As said above, the braking on the Canyon will be much better as well with direct mount Ultegra brakes in standard positions.

If you're serious about triathlon and don't ride road races or in groups then consider a time trial bike.

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
I will use bike 90% of time for road that is the reason why i do not want proper TT bike but I like 2 different options of seat posts on Airstreeeam that could give more freedom for angle adjustments. Thank you for advice regarding breaks.

Re:

Darko said:
I will use bike 90% of time for road that is the reason why i do not want proper TT bike but I like 2 different options of seat posts on Airstreeeam that could give more freedom for angle adjustments. Thank you for advice regarding breaks.
The Airstreeem seat positions do look interesting but that Aeroad looks perfect for what you're after if you want an aero road bike that can also do triathlon. Canyon are becoming a larger name manufacturer as well, which is usually better for support and warranty.