• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav Vs Renshaw Vs Goss

Happy New Season to All!!

BTW, does anyone know when we can realistically expect to see the first scheduled match up with Cav, Renshaw & Goss. I guess all 3 will ride Milano-San Remo but is there a good race involving them before that?

Cheers.

The real question that I look forward to seeing the answer to is which team that will take the primary role in most sprints. Will Sky become a copy of HTC in the sprints of will we see a slightly different environment in sprints from now on?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Why do people suddenly expect Renshaw to be a lot faster than he was at age 25/26, when he won about 2 races a year for Credit Agricole? He's no competition for Goss, and certainly not for Cav.

He'll probably have improved since then, but you're totally right we shouldn't be expecting too much of him. It seems like a weird buy for Rabobank to me, unless he's willing to do lead-outs for Bos all the time which I doubt.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Renshaw's young enough that if he has one or even two failed years as a sprinter, he can always go back to being a lead-out man - he was the best in the world, and will not be without suitors. Fair play to him for wanting to get his own chances, Rabobank said they'd give him them, let's see how he gets on.

Oh absolutely. I can completely understand him wanting to try on his own behalf. I'm just not expecting too much. I guess Rabobank are taking a chance that he'll win a few races and might turn out to be better than expected.

Yeah, I've been scratching my head with all the hoopla about Renshaw getting his own chances for sprint wins. No doubt he's fast and the perfect leadout man, but to me that isn't interchangeable with being a sprinter. Thor and Tyler showed that this year, even though Tyler did get one victory from thor's leadout if I remember correctly.

El Pistolero said:
He'll probably have improved since then, but you're totally right we shouldn't be expecting too much of him. It seems like a weird buy for Rabobank to me, unless he's willing to do lead-outs for Bos all the time which I doubt.

They already have one second-rate Aussie sprinter who likes to headbutt people and throw punches, they just thought they'd trade in for a newer model.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
His career with CA was no worse than Goss's pre-HTC results.
Maybe... the difference being that Goss was 22 years old at the time.

Libertine Seguros said:
They already have one second-rate Aussie sprinter who likes to headbutt people and throw punches, they just thought they'd trade in for a newer model.
... or add some experience to their disfunctional sprint train.

Michielveedeebee said:
Renshaw is way better than Brown
Is he?

Waterloo Sunrise said:
His career with CA was no worse than Goss's pre-HTC results. On that topic, I'm looking forward to discovering if Greenedge betting the farm on Goss goes as poorly as I expect, in terms of serious results.

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=1713&year=2005&all=1&current=0

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=3447&year=2009&all=1&current=0

Both as 22-23 year olds, Goss in his 3rd year as a pro, Renshaw's 2nd. Probably highlights Goss' classics promise moreso than sprinting though.

But agreed that GreenEdge are pinning too much on Goss. Falling away after M-SR is worrying. Only saved himself to some extent by getting Silver. Sky should just rely on GreenEdge to lead them out.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I think goss could surprise a few people against cav next year. Goss is a good sprinter in his own right.

In the worlds he just got his timing wrong in the sprint coz he was closing down cav very rapidly indeed. This year he will have the full support of his own team and who knows what would of happenned in the worlds if he had renshaw.

Remember he has has already won a stage in the giro and i could easily see him repeat his MSR win next year and win ghent-wevelgem.

He won't have many better chances than the Worlds.Not only was it an up hill sprint, but his train got to sit in all day.

ingsve said:
The real question that I look forward to seeing the answer to is which team that will take the primary role in most sprints. Will Sky become a copy of HTC in the sprints of will we see a slightly different environment in sprints from now on?

I think GE will take a good role in the TDF whilst Rabo/ Sky will only set up their trains in the last 10km.

Thats' only because of Wiggins/ Froome and Gesink/ Mollema/ Kruijswijk

I think Goss might win at least one flat stage over Cav and will get the green jersey. I have no idea about M-SR ( it depends on how hard the race is/ Cavs' form ). I also agree with @ Gooner that Goss could win G-W and he shall manage his season better.

They got to "sit in" because they had Clarke up the road/ others. Unlike other teams they could actually have a good train ( Italy, then Germany fall into that category, though Martin was caught behind the crash )

TRENDING THREADS