• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish helmet foil/sheath

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pictures show Cavendish winning the Worlds with a sheath over the holes in his Specialized helmet. A couple years back Lazer (?) did the same thing with covers that featured the Lion of Flanders.
Covering the holes in helmets when it's cold makes sense to me. Why do we need so much ventilation? When climbing, perhaps. But the 'aero' advantage to having all those vents covered might have helped Cavendish just a tiny bit in his bid for World Championship.
Anyone have any info/thoughts of this?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Humm... I can see it now flash forward 10 years and the forum thread title come the end of the season.

Dorkiest mods to a helmet. Insert picture of the 2011 British team. :D

If he won due to being more aero from covering the vent holes in his helmet, I'm going the get 100 mph in my car when I saran wrap it.

ElChingon said:
Humm... I can see it now flash forward 10 years and the forum thread title come the end of the season.

If he won due to being more aero from covering the vent holes in his helmet, I'm going the get 100 mph in my car when I saran wrap it.

Ah, but if your car had little divots all over it like a golf ball it WOULD be more aero!
check it out :D
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...twIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNFyLe0abHMpzo_7ruIONTWqV3XAwA

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:

He was winning before so I don't see how anything had changed.

As a side note, quit a few of the new economy cars have the front grills close up at speed to produce better gas mileage by less drag.