• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chad Gerlach...

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I wish him the very best. He now has a child and needs to live for that if nothing else.

Watching the intervention show is tough in his case especially. He has such smug arrogance compared to almost any other addict. Even when he relapsed.

He is his own obstacle to sobriety. In intervention, his Dad said Chad is just like him and that is why they clash. I didn't see the smugness in his dad, I saw the angst of watching one's child intentionally leap off a cliff into an abyss while flipping off everyone who cares about them. Soooo much anger.

He needs to do a lot of work on himself. Cycling (racing in europe) was not helping. It was said on the last chad gerlach thread. The demands of the sport make no allowances for his needs.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
I wish him the very best. He now has a child and needs to live for that if nothing else.

Watching the intervention show is tough in his case especially. He has such smug arrogance compared to almost any other addict. Even when he relapsed.

He is his own obstacle to sobriety. In intervention, his Dad said Chad is just like him and that is why they clash. I didn't see the smugness in his dad, I saw the angst of watching one's child intentionally leap off a cliff into an abyss while flipping off everyone who cares about them. Soooo much anger.

He needs to do a lot of work on himself. Cycling (racing in europe) was not helping. It was said on the last chad gerlach thread. The demands of the sport make no allowances for his needs.

When he was a younger racer the was confident and appropriately cocky but a good rider. He treated other riders with respect and had a descent sense of humor, particularly off the bike. I didn't know him personally but teammates had longer term experience with him. We all hope he can get life on track.

Oldman said:
When he was a younger racer the was confident and appropriately cocky but a good rider. He treated other riders with respect and had a descent sense of humor, particularly off the bike. I didn't know him personally but teammates had longer term experience with him. We all hope he can get life on track.

I've met him a couple of times because he lives and races in my district. He is a natural talent; if you bring up his results on USAC you will see that he podiumed just about every race he did this past summer in NorCal and we are one of the better districts in the USA so you can't say that's nothing.

I only talked to him a few times and he seemed like a decent guy, but quite clearly he has some demons that he is having major trouble with. It's tough, life ain't easy even for people that have natural talents, but I guess he just doesn't understand how fortunate he is to be who he is and not have been born in Afghanistan or something. I wish him the best.

TRENDING THREADS