• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chainring Durability - Recommendations?

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Heya - i've seen similar tests with chains, demonstrating durability (Campy seems to come out ahead), but has anything been done like this with chainrings, or what's your personal experience?

I bring this up as i do ride mostly Campy parts, and i've found the chainrings also tend to last a long time (rarely wearing them down.)

I switched over to Red cranks last season (Campy doesn't do 165mm), and i've discovered that i've totally worn down the 50t (which i prolly ride 95% of the time in.) I don't know if i've ever worn down a Campy 53T, gone through a few 39's...so i thought it was a bit odd to wear it down that quick. Even the chain (Campy Chorus, 10sp) is outlasting it..!

What's your experience? Who makes longer-lasting chainrings? (And hopefully ones that won't look like crap on the Red cranks...the big ring does look sexy.)

Thanks a bunch!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Vegan Dave said:
Heya - i've seen similar tests with chains, demonstrating durability (Campy seems to come out ahead), but has anything been done like this with chainrings, or what's your personal experience?

I bring this up as i do ride mostly Campy parts, and i've found the chainrings also tend to last a long time (rarely wearing them down.)

I switched over to Red cranks last season (Campy doesn't do 165mm), and i've discovered that i've totally worn down the 50t (which i prolly ride 95% of the time in.) I don't know if i've ever worn down a Campy 53T, gone through a few 39's...so i thought it was a bit odd to wear it down that quick. Even the chain (Campy Chorus, 10sp) is outlasting it..!

What's your experience? Who makes longer-lasting chainrings? (And hopefully ones that won't look like crap on the Red cranks...the big ring does look sexy.)

Thanks a bunch!

I also ride almost exclusively Campy and one of the reasons was maintenance. I have at least two years of training & racing on a 53x39 ten speed crank.nowhere near replacement on the big the small is about time.
IME when i ran Dura ace i had to replace twice as often. I actually had better luck with Vuelta replacement rings than OE shimano.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Specialties TA makes excellent chainrings that are quite durable and smooth shifting.
I've been using Rotor Q rings which have also proven to be long wearing, but you have to accept the elliptical concept (I do!) They have shown less wear than the 7800s that were on the crank before.
However, the best do seem to be the Campagnolos. I'm often amazed at how long they last.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Yep SRAM reds are definitely fragile - dropped the chain and ended up bending a tooth on the 53 trying to shift it back on on the fly:eek: still that's the Price for lighter weight. I read somewhere you can sub a SRAM force ring and no more dramas. Doesn't look as cool tho

Vegan Dave said:

Thanks a bunch!

Yep, sram is cheap and light but not durable or long lasting.

Get some shimano 6700 or TA rings, they work well, look good, last a whole lot longer than anything sram(or truvativ).

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I don't think i've seen Specialties TA in this part of Canada, i'll definitely look into them tho. Glad i'm not the only one experiencing this as well... Force might be an option i guess, better life with them if Specialties isn't available..?

Vegan Dave said:
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I don't think i've seen Specialties TA in this part of Canada, i'll definitely look into them tho. Glad i'm not the only one experiencing this as well... Force might be an option i guess, better life with them if Specialties isn't available..?

Nope. about the same as red rings. Get shimano is you can't find TA.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I knew another Dave that could destroy a set of Campy rings in a season. He rode a lot in the big-big and small - small.
My 1986 vintage C record cranks have had the small ring replaced but the big ring was still pretty good after 15 years or so.
Be glad you don't have DA cranks their rings re $400.00.

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
How many miles/kms does a SRAM red chainring last?

Vegan Dave said:
I switched over to Red cranks last season (Campy doesn't do 165mm), and i've discovered that i've totally worn down the 50t (which i prolly ride 95% of the time in.)

I'm curious how many miles/kms you put on that chainring?

I seem to have symptoms of chainring wear -- new chain and cassette and now drivetrain is "jumpy" on the stand -- and I've put almost exactly 2500mi on these SRAM Red 50/34 rings.

I'm probably a bit heavier than you (175lbs) so probably putting more strain on the drivetrain. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to have a number to compare.