• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Changing of the Guard

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I feel that as this season has moved on it has become increasingly apparent that a younger generation has taken over in GTs
Contador and Shleck were already established but Gesink, Anton, Van den Broeck, Nibali and Roche have really begun to shine through, every year now the old guard of Sastre, Evans, Basso, Liephiemer, Kloeden and Menchov move a year beyond peak form and over the hill whilst the younger generation improve

Its great to see all of these young names shining on the biggest showcases for the sport, its not to say the old guard wont be competitive, just there influence is vanishing fast

Really want to see a 2011 showdown between Contador, Schleck, Nibali, Anton and Gesink in particular!

I find it difficult to group riders into generations.

Armstrong is 38
Vino 36
Sastre 35
Cuddles 34
Basso 33
Menchov 32
Valverde 30
Contador 28
Schleck 26
Nibali 25

Which generation do each of these riders belong to?

Ps sorry to Cuddles and Schleck fans for making them stand out by including them in this list. ;)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
ttrider said:
Really want to see a 2011 showdown between Contador, Schleck, Nibali, Anton and Gesink in particular!

Gesink and Nibali aren't really on that level, and Anton probably won't ride the tour, and if he did, he probably wouldn't go for the overall. Theres a ton of good young riders out there, but right now, Shleck and Contador appear to be on another level.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
ttrider said:
I feel that as this season has moved on it has become increasingly apparent that a younger generation has taken over in GTs
Contador and Shleck were already established but Gesink, Anton, Van den Broeck, Nibali and Roche have really begun to shine through, every year now the old guard of Sastre, Evans, Basso, Liephiemer, Kloeden and Menchov move a year beyond peak form and over the hill whilst the younger generation improve

Its great to see all of these young names shining on the biggest showcases for the sport, its not to say the old guard wont be competitive, just there influence is vanishing fast

basso won the giro, sastre top 10 in 2 GT's, so they are still very competitive

RedheadDane said:
Last time I checked Schleck was only 25. He won the white Jersey in the Tour, couldn't have done that if he was 26...

Well i was guessing. I had a nice little pattern going
35 34 33 32 30 28 26 25. Now that Schleck is 25 not 26, it ruins it.

Also this is the 2nd time today ive seen you correct others regarding riders age. You seem to know the ages well.