• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chequamegon and Two UCI Pros

For those in the U.S., Chequamegon has been around forever and is waiting-list-to-ride popular event. http://www.cheqfattire.com/

This year two UCI pros are riding, McCartney and Vande Velde. USAC was warning their pros the UCI would enforce their 'no racing outside the UCI' rule earlier this year. See here for the stern warning: http://www.podiuminsight.com/2011/04/07/uci-rules-crackdown-no-non-usac-sanctioned-races-for-pros/

Is this going to be another rule selectively applied, or am I not reading it right?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
scaled.php

ready to roll

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
As much as Race Radio wants to smooth this one over, does this work like an Wonderboy TUE? A backdated exemption produced if ever necessary?

There could be some unintended consequences to that.

Not trying to smooth it over, I just thought the Pic was interesting.

I think a Pro should be able to ride any race they want, screw the UCI

Race Radio said:

I agree! According to the results, neither road pro finished.

The UCI wants to maintain and extend a monopoly on copetitive cycling at all costs. Hence the rule and the strong reminder this spring not to leave the UCI's events.

How riders got away with it at Leadville remains another USAC/UCI mystery. Maybe because mountain biking is little more than a minor league for the UCI?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
papisimo98 said:
looks like 29ers, cool.

No other way really to ride Chequamegon but on a 29'er, it's basically a road race off road with minimal climbing.

Race Radio said:

Wholeheartedly agree, screw the UCI, especially when it comes to historical races such as this. Same goes for the Dakota Five-0 and the dozens of other superfun unsanctioned mtb races scattered around the country. Let them ride!!!

TRENDING THREADS