• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CN's Roll in all the cycling stories

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Its been some time since CN (aka CyclingNews.com) has entered the cycling news story business yet what I continue to see is CN re-writing stories written in other language web news sites and papers. Does CN have a proper reporters? As in original story writers and well reporters who ask questions and try to obtain answers?

Lets give it that they can at least ask the English speaking peleton/DS's questions. Are the rest just translated stories?

What I'm really getting at is with all the things going on at present is there a CN reporter out getting some of the news stories to list on the main CN site? Especially questions to be asked of the UCI and Riders groups, I'd think there is enough news out there on the current hot issues that why isn't there more in depth stories going on? Or is everyone so tight lipped that there are no scoops to be had?

Yes, I know its expensive to have reporters all over the place but where's that CN car today?

Sadly, there are less and less real reporters, and even mainstream news frequently just regurgitates other reporters work.

I think CN was once exclusively an independent Aussie site, but I'm not sure who owns, or runs it now. Maybe Greg or one of the other mods can come on here and share.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The redesign looks like a copy of the **** poor BikeRadar site. Seeing as both are linked to ProCycling magazine is it a big menage a trois?

May 22, 2009
Visit site
I know that for a fact a UK company took over production about six months ago. It was at that point that I noticed that they stopped picking things up as fast as they used to. I also remember that if you emailed them JJ would email you back, but I don't think that that happens anymore. As with most businesses bigger doesn't always equal better.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
OK, so I am not the only one that has noticed the change.

I do think they have a big readership as even some pro cyclist even from non-English (as a main language) list it in their links (not that that speaks volumes).

I always hoped the redesign would add modern technology but keep the look and feel the same. I just hope they stay away from flash as to me that kills any site and definitely keeps me off of it.

ElChingon said:

I do think they have a big readership as even some pro cyclist even from non-English (as a main language) list it in their links (not that that speaks volumes).

I always hoped the redesign would add modern technology but keep the look and feel the same. I just hope they stay away from flash as to me that kills any site and definitely keeps me off of it.

change?

to my knowledge, they've been quoting the post race interviews from sporza for years.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see them put links to the original articles in their stories. If you post about CN articles on another forum you can get chided by Susan to include a link.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Sadly, there are less and less real reporters, and even mainstream news frequently just regurgitates other reporters work.

I agree, but where are all of the "good journalists" ? The newspapers are all disintegrating because of costs and lower numbers(less buying of papers). Online news sources for the same companies are still scant with reporting. Has the life of a reporter/writer/journalist gone to the wayside? OR has this been outsourced to a low cost center in another country, I think not. Did they all retire? Even in the newspapers that are left the amount of columns are decreasing almost daily. sign of the times? :eek:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
quadsRme said:
OR has this been outsourced to a low cost center in another country, I think not.

Does that mean we need to call Mumbai to get the tough questions on the list to ask the riders?

Really though, no CN reporter in house? Come on man say the CN car is still alive in Europe getting some dirt. Or did it get repo-ed?

I have always seen CN as a helpful news aggregating site - they clearly have a few folk out and about but as i say seems to be predominantly a place to go to get a reasonably comprehensive scoop on what going on in the sport.

It's not really a portal and I have never seen them as news making. They do a fair bit of editorialising and there are other parts to the site that are less about news and more just about informing.

It's interesting (but not really surprising) that they don't provide links especially when stories are essentially triggerred by other primary news sources - it is a commercial venture remember. If anything really captures my interest I tend to search out other sites to get more background and/or source info.

- I think they do a pretty good job - and it certainly makes it way easier for me to keep track of what's going on out there. Big thumbs up from me :D:D

ElChingon said:

I always hoped the redesign would add modern technology but keep the look and feel the same.
I just hope they stay away from flash as to me that kills any site and definitely keeps me off of it.

seeing as flash is passé, one would hope.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
All,

I've moved the thread to the forum about the website for obvious reasons.

I'm not the managing editor of Cyclingnews and so it's only right that I leave the matters you've raised for Daniel Benson to respond to.

I'll make him aware of the thread, however please be patient as it may be a few days before he has a chance to respond. Obviously we're all working double time (literally) at the moment to get the new site online, while continuing to operate the existing website.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

TRENDING THREADS