• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Colombian doc Alberto Beltrán Niño arrested with Aicar

According to the president of Dutch Anti-Doping Association, there is a test in place for Aicar and has been for yours.
It's known that people are into Aicar, but no people are getting caught with it.
I read that in an unrelated article in a paper last weekend.

Are these nice new (15 years?) drugs quick to leave the body perhaps, or easily masked?

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
According to the president of Dutch Anti-Doping Association, there is a test in place for Aicar and has been for yours.
It's known that people are into Aicar, but no people are getting caught with it.
I read that in an unrelated article in a paper last weekend.

Are these nice new (15 years?) drugs quick to leave the body perhaps, or easily masked?

Exactly, the dutch anti-doping association president Herman Ram said that its been known for years. He also said that there alot of downsides of using & buying Aicar, he says its extremely expensive because theres no industrial production of the product. Plus you would have to use alot of Aicar to get some positive effects from it.

Havetts said:
Exactly, the dutch anti-doping association president Herman Ram said that its been known for years. He also said that there alot of downsides of using & buying Aicar, he says its extremely expensive because theres no industrial production of the product. Plus you would have to use alot of Aicar to get some positive effects from it.

We've read the same piece, thanks for elaborating.
I am not sure I am convinced. We were told EPO use was over after the first test for it.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Isn't he the hire-and-fire doctor that Xacobeo picked up from Liberty Seguros just before the 2009 Vuelta, then got fired halfway through the race after Ribeiro, Guerra and Nozal popped positive from the Volta?
Yes, it's mentioned in the El Pais article. He was also the 05 Orbitel doc in 2004 when Jose Castelblanco tested positive.

This doctor sucks. Apparently quite a few riders have given positive under his tutelage. Or maybe he supervises a lot of riders and we only see the few that get caught.

Expect more names to come up soon. His computer and memory disks have been confiscated.

Escarabajo said:
This doctor sucks. Apparently quite a few riders have given positive under his tutelage. Or maybe he supervises a lot of riders and we only see the few that get caught.

Expect more names to come up soon. His computer and memory disks have been confiscated.

that's what springs to my mind when I read the article-How can riders would take a chance with a doctor of such reputation?? either they were desperate or prices were too cheap-but regardless the motivation, they got busted.
The other aspect that I quite don't understand is why it took so long to take him down-I know the police have to build the case first, but according to the article, he was already prosecuted before.....

hfer07 said:
that's what springs to my mind when I read the article-How can riders would take a chance with a doctor of such reputation?? either they were desperate or prices were too cheap-but regardless the motivation, they got busted.

Yeah, i wondered that too. After loads of Liberty tested positive i wouldnt have thought that any professionals would be going near him? We'll see what comes out i guess.

Duartista said:
Yes, it's mentioned in the El Pais article. He was also the 05 Orbitel doc in 2004 when Jose Castelblanco tested positive.

He was probably supplying Castelblanco (and many others) on a regular basis. Wherever Castelblanco seems to have been in his career, Beltran was there.

Officially in 2004 Beltran was a doctor at Café Baqué, where two riders were suspended for high haematocrit levels: http://www.dopeology.org/teams/Café-Baqué-II/

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It's worth mentioning that Spanish world champion runner Marta Dominguez, whose trainer Cesar Perez was arrested along with Beltran, is currently the Partido Popular's senator frrom Palencia. Dominguez had been accused (along with Perez) of trafficking in doping materials (in the Operacion Galgo, in which also enter Fuentes, etc.), but the charges were dropped because the Guardia Civil had mishandled evidence.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2012/03/18/actualidad/1332103467_166893.html

He's worked with Selle Italia, Kaiku, Xacobeo and Liberty.

Apparently David Garcia was the source leading to the investigation (Operation Skype), having been Beltrán's customer.

The El Pais article gives much more information:
http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2012/03/19/actualidad/1332179384_520016.html

According to the article they found AICAR, TB-500, EPO, EPO Cera, HGH, and steroids.

Beltran is Colombian, but lives in Bahrain (!), though he travels a lot, to Spain in particular.

A former cyclist named Carlos Andrés Ibáñez worked for Beltran and was arrested too.

According to El Pais also arrested was Cesar Perez, of Operacion Galgo fame, the trainer of Spanish Senator Marta Dominguez.

Once the dots are connected, they lead to all other famous Spanish doping accuseds, e.g. Fuentes.

As usual, the case will collapse because of judicial errors.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
He was probably supplying Castelblanco (and many others) on a regular basis. Wherever Castelblanco seems to have been in his career, Beltran was there.

Officially in 2004 Beltran was a doctor at Café Baqué, where two riders were suspended for high haematocrit levels: http://www.dopeology.org/teams/Café-Baqué-II/
Interesting - Cardenas and Buenahora also went from 05 Orbitel to Cafe Baque at around the same time (maybe 1 year earlier).

http://members.fortunecity.es/pedalear/res4/vueltavalle.htm