• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Colombian flood disaster Sep 2010 to Jan 2011

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
While I do want to give all my support to those dealing with the floods in Queensland (and now to a lesser extent in parts NSW and Victoria ) I can't help feeling a little sad that we all get so much detail about these floods in real time because its Australia and the world seems to care more yet nobody I have talked to recently had any idea about Colombia's situation since September:

International aid coordination website

an extract from the report:
According to official figures, 2,234,154 people have been reported as affected as of 11 January. So far, 311 people have died, 289 were injured and 64 are missing. Furthermore, 328,420 houses were damaged and 5,323 ompletely
destroyed.

elsewhere it refers to malnutrition now affecting 24% of children under 5.

When I first visited Colombia I was amazed how certain areas reminded me of Northern Qld... and now...

Martin318is said:
While I do want to give all my support to those dealing with the floods in Queensland (and now to a lesser extent in parts NSW and Victoria ) I can't help feeling a little sad that we all get so much detail about these floods in real time because its Australia and the world seems to care more yet nobody I have talked to recently had any idea about Colombia's situation since September:

International aid coordination website

an extract from the report:

elsewhere it refers to malnutrition now affecting 24% of children under 5.

When I first visited Colombia I was amazed how certain areas reminded me of Northern Qld... and now...

Colombia is a country very close to my heart as i follow its politics and its history.

While many of its problems from the days of La violencia and El Patron seem to be gone (for now) outside the cities in the mountains the situation is still bleak. Death squads still roam some areas, and deep in the mountains and rainforests there is wide poverty.

The problem with coverage is very sad but one seen all the time.

These days, when a celebrity takes a **** it recieves more news than wars or famines which kill thousands. Similarly a disaster in the west gets far more coverage than a megadisaster in the developing world.

Think of the 2 million that have died in North Korea in the last 15 years, and that one single oscar night gets more press coverage, front page space, and editorials than those people ever will.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
THe queensland flood is massive. Lots of vision of cars being carried down river at very high speeds, etc. Tagic loss of life in a number of locations and untold crop and infrastructure damage, etc. It will take Qld a long time to recover

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
THe queensland flood is massive. Lots of vision of cars being carried down river at very high speeds, etc. Tagic loss of life in a number of locations and untold crop and infrastructure damage, etc. It will take Qld a long time to recover

Almost as bad as 1974 so who gave the planning permits to developers to develop in flood prone area and why? corrupt developers and corrupt Government. So where are they now when it time to pay up.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Almost as bad as 1974 so who gave the planning permits to developers to develop in flood prone area and why? corrupt developers and corrupt Government. So where are they now when it time to pay up.

Actually there is already a thread for Queensland. This one is for ColOmbia

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I didn't realise the Colombian floods were so bad. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The Pakistan floods last year were also pretty bloody bad and IIRC aid agencies said donations were low relative to other disasters. (Not a sexy enough disaster? Numbers of affected incomprehensibly large? People of the wrong religion?)

"According to Pakistani government data the floods directly affected about 20 million people , mostly by destruction of property, livelihood and infrastructure, with a death toll of close to 2,000." (from Wiki)