• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Compatibility of triple/double groupsets

I am putting together a winter bike from spare parts and second hand buys (due to my low wage and the ridiculous price of bike components) and have been given a ultegra triple chainset. I was wondering I could use this with double sti levers and cassette.

I know triple dérailleurs are completely different from doubles but is there anyway of making triple and double components work together even if the transition is a little dodgy.

I would appreciate any input and advice on the subject :)

uphillstruggle said:
I am putting together a winter bike from spare parts and second hand buys (due to my low wage and the ridiculous price of bike components) and have been given a ultegra triple chainset. I was wondering I could use this with double sti levers and cassette.

I know triple dérailleurs are completely different from doubles but is there anyway of making triple and double components work together even if the transition is a little dodgy.

I would appreciate any input and advice on the subject :)

If the levers are double only(some are but many are both), yes, it will shift 2 of the three chainrings. Small to middle or middle to large and yes, you can use a double FD to do this if you wish to use only the middle to large. Probably need a triple FD if you want to use the small to middle, if you leave the big ring on(for clearance).

I suspect you want to use the middle and big, just take the small ring off and adjust the FD for the 2 that are left.
The rear doesn't care The shifters are compatible with short or long cage rear derailleurs.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If you do want to be able to use all three chain rings down the road, you could buy a triple rear and front derailleur and a set of Dura Ace down tube shifters or barend shifters which you can get for around $70 to $80 new for 10 speed. If it's for 8 or 9 speed they can be found of even less NIB(and yes they are indexed). That's considerably less than a set of brifters.