• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Compatible 9-speed Campy shifter solution?

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have a basic question about components, to try to get my beloved 2002 Bianchi San Remo back in action (it was fine when I took it into the bike shop last week; now, according to them, it’s a paperweight).

Sorry, a backstory’s necessary: I don’t ride long, but I ride regularly, though I’ve been neglectful of maintenance recently. I took it in for a tune-up and to replace worn cables. When I took it in, it was shifting fine by my standards (although not crisply, I suppose) . They said they couldn’t guarantee the quality of the tune-up, since the Campy Mirage 9-speed drive train was worn. When I picked it up two evenings later, after just a short ride home on my bike rack, I tried to ride it and to my shock the rear derailleur would no longer shift AT ALL. Back to the shop the next day, where they said they had ridden it and it had shifted reasonably when they’d finished the tune-up. They messed with it a bit while I waited, and then said they couldn’t fix it at all, said it would have to be sent to be rebuilt. Three days later, when I called back, they said their rebuilder doesn’t touch them anymore, and that their supplier doesn’t carry any Campy 9-speed shifters at all anymore.

I’m not in a position to change out all the components. What are my affordable options to replace the Campy Mirage 9-speed Ergo shifter? I realize there’s probably no optimal inexpensive solution, so I need your capable help in finding the best practical ones. I’m still a little shocked that it went from a bike I rode daily to the wrench saying there was nothing they can do. Please help.

bellmartin said:
Hi,

I have a basic question about components, to try to get my beloved 2002 Bianchi San Remo back in action (it was fine when I took it into the bike shop last week; now, according to them, it’s a paperweight).

Sorry, a backstory’s necessary: I don’t ride long, but I ride regularly, though I’ve been neglectful of maintenance recently. I took it in for a tune-up and to replace worn cables. When I took it in, it was shifting fine by my standards (although not crisply, I suppose) . They said they couldn’t guarantee the quality of the tune-up, since the Campy Mirage 9-speed drive train was worn. When I picked it up two evenings later, after just a short ride home on my bike rack, I tried to ride it and to my shock the rear derailleur would no longer shift AT ALL. Back to the shop the next day, where they said they had ridden it and it had shifted reasonably when they’d finished the tune-up. They messed with it a bit while I waited, and then said they couldn’t fix it at all, said it would have to be sent to be rebuilt. Three days later, when I called back, they said their rebuilder doesn’t touch them anymore, and that their supplier doesn’t carry any Campy 9-speed shifters at all anymore.

I’m not in a position to change out all the components. What are my affordable options to replace the Campy Mirage 9-speed Ergo shifter? I realize there’s probably no optimal inexpensive solution, so I need your capable help in finding the best practical ones. I’m still a little shocked that it went from a bike I rode daily to the wrench saying there was nothing they can do. Please help.

What balderdash. 9s ERGO innards are identical to 10s, except the shift disc and those never wear out. Springs, spring carriers, etc, still being made by Campagnolo via a 'shift assembly', of the type made from 1998 thru 2008. The bike shop is a loon and/or lazy.

Are you in the US? I can fix your lever.

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
bellmartin said:
Hi,

What balderdash. 9s ERGO innards are identical to 10s, except the shift disc and those never wear out. Springs, spring carriers, etc, still being made by Campagnolo via a 'shift assembly', of the type made from 1998 thru 2008. The bike shop is a loon and/or lazy.

Are you in the US? I can fix your lever.

I do think it was some of both. I've really never had that weird experience before. It was a new shop to me, because my favorite old shop was sold. It looked good, but no, I won't be back.

Thanks very much for the offer, but I did decide to make a pretty inexpensive upgrade. I searched out a pair of good used Chorus shifters and had them installed. Problem solved without breaking the bank, at least, and I got a story of what sort of shop to avoid, into the bargain!

TRENDING THREADS