• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Confused on cables for 6700 brifters

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Converting to 6700 brifters and went looking for a new cable set. I'm seeing mostly two dura-ace sets. One says 7800 and the other says 7900. The 7900 is more expensive everywhere I've found it.

Anyone know the difference between the two sets? I assume the 7900 shifter set may have lower friction to help with under cable routing?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I never buy ready made up cables i go to bike shop and buy casing and inner cables and make them myself. You can get all sorts of super low friction cables but in the end its all the same.
What do the bike shop use.

Just be sure you use stainless inner cables as the none stainless are slightly smaller ends and damage the leavers .

richwagmn said:
Converting to 6700 brifters and went looking for a new cable set. I'm seeing mostly two dura-ace sets. One says 7800 and the other says 7900. The 7900 is more expensive everywhere I've found it.

Anyone know the difference between the two sets? I assume the 7900 shifter set may have lower friction to help with under cable routing?

Yes, true but I suggest going on down to a decent LBS and get 5mm lined der housing, metal ferrules, 5mm lined brake housing, stainless cables...cheparr, better(4mm der housing and plastic ferrules is crappola).