• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CONI wants two year ban for Pellizotti

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
http://www.lifeinitaly.com/news/cycling-two-year-ban-pellizotti-sought

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5...lizotti-shelves-case-against-Vania-Rossi.aspx

Specifically, CONI refers to Pellizotti’s apparent: “violation of Article 2.2 of the WADA Code in relation to haematological abnormalities detected by the International Cycling in the biological passport with a request for disqualification of two years”.

The “abnormalities” in question reportedly date back from the 2009 Tour de France, where Pellizotti won the polka-dot mountains jersey and was awarded the prix de la combativité, as the race’s most aggressive rider.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5...s-case-against-Vania-Rossi.aspx#ixzz0v5VrCBQq

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
very harsh. hope it gets thrown out

Harsh? Don't really think so, it's a fairly standard ban. I'm am still partially sceptical of whether they will get this ban however, anyway it will be interesting to see how this blood paspport holds up in proceedings

Barrus said:
Harsh? Don't really think so, it's a fairly standard ban. I'm am still partially sceptical of whether they will get this ban however, anyway it will be interesting to see how this blood paspport holds up in proceedings

I think Pellizotti should demand to see the anonymized passport values of the Tour's top ten from 2009 so that he can compare his value variations with thoes of the other riders. If abnormal values are a passport violation then the defense needs to know what normal is.

If people from the passport committee will be questioned during the case then I would force them to explain Armstrong's strange values, which are available.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think Pellizotti should demand to see the anonymized passport values of the Tour's top ten from 2009 so that he can compare his value variations with thoes of the other riders. If abnormal values are a passport violation then the defense needs to know what normal is.

If people from the passport committee will be questioned during the case then I would force them to explain Armstrong's strange values, which are available.

I think that's sort of the catch-22 of the passport. From the defense side, it makes sense to know exactly what values were out of bounds, and what other people's values were. But once that information becomes public, then the riders know exactly what parameters they need to stay within to avoid being busted.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

couldn't agree more!

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Wait a minute, you want to see whose values? You mean the guy who's paying for the testing equipment?

ergmonkey said:
Wait a minute, you want to see whose values? You mean the guy who's paying for the testing equipment?

We already know that Armstrong's values are messed up. It would be interesting to force members of the passport committe to explain how Armstrong's reticulocyte values dropping to half their normal values while his hematocrit stays constant or even increases is not a passport violation while Pellizotti's values are a violation. Put the committee members on the hotseat.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
We already know that Armstrong's values are messed up. It would be interesting to force members of the passport committe to explain how Armstrong's reticulocyte values dropping to half their normal values while his hematocrit stays constant or even increases is not a passport violation while Pellizotti's values are a violation. Put the committee members on the hotseat.

No doubt, it would be a very interesting squirm-fest if ever that explanation were demanded. Those values were a joke: individually, each parameter could be fit within a "normal" range, but, as you mention, the trends and relationships between the various blood components don't make sense in any human. Doesn't seem like the passport is being applied very evenly when it comes to whether such results are sanctionable...

Unfortunately, I don't think we're any more likely to hear that explanation than we are to hear a sensible explanation for that Team Astana transfusion equipment...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
How can this be anything other than good news? The passport has claimed its first big name, and the Italian federation backed it up and banned one of their own. For all those critics of a toothless passport where are you now...apart from over on the valjavec thread.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:
How can this be anything other than good news? The passport has claimed its first big name, and the Italian federation backed it up and banned one of their own. For all those critics of a toothless passport where are you now...apart from over on the valjavec thread.

Other than good news: it's not right. Yes he should be banned, but should he get a longer ban(for not being really caught, just having abnormal blood values) than Ricco who was convicted for CERA?
I don't understand why some athletes are more severely punished for lesser doping violation

Michielveedeebee said:
Other than good news: it's not right. Yes he should be banned, but should he get a longer ban(for not being really caught, just having abnormal blood values) than Ricco who was convicted for CERA?
I don't understand why some athletes are more severely punished for lesser doping violation

Theh big question is why Pellizotti? I would be willing to bet that there are huge differences between the passport values from this year's TdF for riders on Radio Shack compared to their values from last year's TdF. We have not seen an entire team collapse like that since the 2006 TdF Discovery squad.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:

They both got 2 years no? For me they are the same doping violation and will get the same sanction. Having abnormal values is being caught, its just a different method of being caught.

Bro...maybe they do have strange values maybe they don't (probably do) maybe it was pellizotti as his values were the easiest to get a ban upheld.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:
They both got 2 years no? For me they are the same doping violation and will get the same sanction. Having abnormal values is being caught, its just a different method of being caught.

Bro...maybe they do have strange values maybe they don't (probably do) maybe it was pellizotti as his values were the easiest to get a ban upheld.

Ricco was only 20 months

TRENDING THREADS