• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador Alpe d'Huez 2011

I have watched this stage many, many times when forced to do intervals on the trainer. Each time, I can not help but notice Contador waving back to Andy shortly after Contador attacks, as if he wants him to back off. This comes after Contador consistently and somewhat nervously looks back over his shoulder to see how far away Schleck and Evans are. Right after the wave happens, Andy appears to "crack" but thirty seconds later looks cool as a cucumber riding tempo the rest of the way up the climb.

The motion in question is at 7:12 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-cZcyj9R6k

Why would anyone make this motion at all? It's not to wave off the swarming fans, as they aren't swarming him. Maybe he had an acute arm spasm?

It was clear at this point in the race that Contador wasn't going to win the TdF. I would guess it would benefit a number of people for Contador to put on a show and win the iconic stage. Good for Contador's reputation, good for the "spectacle", maybe good for Schleck with a little side deal...

Of course Rolland was the monkey wrench if this is even partly true. Still, can anyone offer a more valid explanation of what Contador is doing besides motioning for Andy to back off?

No better explanation I can think of...he was asking to left to ride it and the answer was No. Of course Andy wore himself out chasing....since Contador couldn't win the race why anyone felt the need to pursue him 90K out is beyond me...but I guess they couldn't just let him ride away. Still to afraid of him I guess.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
That whole stage still perplexes me from time to time. Flummoxed even. Why did Andy and Contador wait in the valley? May be C and S had a pact?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I do not believe they hoped for winning the stage from the breakaway. With 45k of descent and valley, it was almost impossible even to start climbing Alpe-d'Huez still being at the front of the race. A strong 2nd group was doomed to gather together after the Galibier.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
eljimberino said:
So why take off at the bottom of the Galibier then?

Don't know. That move was one massive mistake from Andy. I don't get how Andersen, a man with such a huge experience, couldn't calculate that racing situation and order Andy to go back in the peloton. Even if Evans hadn't had a mechanical problem and worked with Alberto, the break could have been caught before Alpe-d'Huez.

airstream said:
Don't know. That move was one massive mistake from Andy. I don't get how Andersen, a man with such a huge experience, couldn't calculate that racing situation and order Andy to go back in the peloton. Even if Evans hadn't had a mechanical problem and worked with Alberto, the break could have been caught before Alpe-d'Huez.

I think he was still paranoid about Contador thats why he didnt work with Contador after Evans dropped (It's perfectly fine to not work when Evans is there) or return to peloton

If I recall correctly Andy responded first to Contador's attack at Telegraph, Evans went after Andy

funny how even a hurt contador decided last tour with that move:
andy spend too much energy in his wheel i'm sure
voeckler does the biggest kamikaze move seen in the recent history of pro cycling,chasing for an hour on his own andy and alberto

awesome stage that one,one for the history books.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it was one of the best stages in recent tour history. The parcours put everyone in a spin. No one could figure out what to do, especially after Contador attacked.

Andy only starts helping once he gets the nod on the radio. He could have won the tour there. May be he thought that if he helped Contador in to second place in GC he would have lost the tour, which he did anyway.

jens_attacks said:
funny how even a hurt contador decided last tour with that move:
andy spend too much energy in his wheel i'm sure
voeckler does the biggest kamikaze move seen in the recent history of pro cycling,chasing for an hour on his own andy and alberto

awesome stage that one,one for the history books.

It's really impressive to think that even out of GC his presence changed the situation so dramatically. There was also the stage to Gap where nothing would've happened if he didn't decide to go for it on 4/5% climb.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
V3R1T4S said:
I have watched this stage many, many times when forced to do intervals on the trainer. Each time, I can not help but notice Contador waving back to Andy shortly after Contador attacks, as if he wants him to back off. This comes after Contador consistently and somewhat nervously looks back over his shoulder to see how far away Schleck and Evans are. Right after the wave happens, Andy appears to "crack" but thirty seconds later looks cool as a cucumber riding tempo the rest of the way up the climb.

The motion in question is at 7:12 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-cZcyj9R6k

Why would anyone make this motion at all? It's not to wave off the swarming fans, as they aren't swarming him. Maybe he had an acute arm spasm?

It was clear at this point in the race that Contador wasn't going to win the TdF. I would guess it would benefit a number of people for Contador to put on a show and win the iconic stage. Good for Contador's reputation, good for the "spectacle", maybe good for Schleck with a little side deal...

Of course Rolland was the monkey wrench if this is even partly true. Still, can anyone offer a more valid explanation of what Contador is doing besides motioning for Andy to back off?

in my opinion, he was saying:

"what are you doing? why are you such a coward, st*pid piece of sh*t? why don't you grow a brain and a man's pair of balls and you work with me so you can win the tour and i can win the stage? are you crazy? what's your obsession with me? evens is losing time.. he is in stress.. do something!"