• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador clarifies Grand Tour triple

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
contador said: "I have managed to win these last couple of years, imposing myself in hard battles, and now I can tell him my feelings and thoughts, just like he can tell me about Andy's weaknesses.

.........just curious if this is a sign of being assertive or just few weaknesses contador has against andy being intimidated. in philosophy, it's very oriental: trying to absorb your opponent's power, convert it and make it your own.

few realizations maybe: that 39seconds gained of that attack is not a coincidence with the time trial advantage of 39seconds.

interesting it may seemed; contador only knows.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
DO you have a link for that statement? Would like to read the entire interview

It's from his last press release.

Almost two weeks after the end of the Tour de France, Alberto Contador can make an initial analysis of the race and, especially, start thinking about the future because of his recent agreement with Bjarne Riis, that guarantees stability for the next two seasons. “I’m very excited,” says the rider, “I think it was the best choice, because I come to a team with a definite philosophy, a good way to work and give me the tranquility that I have not had in recent years. I am happy and eager to begin this project”.

What did said Riis to you, what convinced you to join his team?

Several things, but no doubt the seriousness it requires and its philosophy of work have been primary reasons. That will allow me to be more relaxed, as well as his great experience, always ahead of teams with the best riders and very powerful, allowing you to face all objectives.

What are your goals for the next two seasons?

It is still early to know the calendar, but I have in mind to do two big tours next year. I do not know exactly which, but I have to start changing a little bit the training system and perhaps start the year more relaxed.

Riis said that you want to win the big three in one year, what about it?

Of course it's a dream, but I don’t know if impossible. I think I you can ride the big three at a good level, but from there to win them there is much difference. You have to go little by little, I realize that it is practically impossible, though perhaps in the future ... It's a dream. Everyone has dreams and this is mine.

Riis has been your harder rival the last two years with Andy Schleck in the Tour, what are the benefits of this union?

We have already discussed about this and I think the two wins. I have managed to win in the last two years after a hard fight and now I can convey my feelings, while he can tell me the weaknesses of Andy. It will be a good union.

How do you see the team next year?

I see it with great optimism. The base is a very solid team, riders have an incredible quality and I really want to start the first concentration. We will get on perfectly. For my part I will try to incorporate Benjamin Noval, Dani Navarro and Jesus Hernandez, but I also hope that the team is strengthened with new signings.

How do you approach the last part of the season with Astana?

We have to speak about, but I have very clear that I am still an Astana rider and I owe this team. My season is already more than accomplished, but we still have to think about it, besides attending various commitments with sponsors, because our relationship is still perfect and I'm very grateful to Astana, although the best decision was to move.

(Automatic translation. Forgive inaccuracies).

http://www.albertocontador.com/prensa.detalle.php?id=477

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
jobpaulcereno said:
contador said: "I have managed to win these last couple of years, imposing myself in hard battles, and now I can tell him my feelings and thoughts, just like he can tell me about Andy's weaknesses.

.........just curious if this is a sign of being assertive or just few weaknesses contador has against andy being intimidated. in philosophy, it's very oriental: trying to absorb your opponent's power, convert it and make it your own.

few realizations maybe: that 39seconds gained of that attack is not a coincidence with the time trial advantage of 39seconds.

interesting it may seemed; contador only knows.

Alberto could retire right now, at the age of 27 mind you, and have one of the best palmarés in the history of the sport. It's that mindboggingly simple.

Some have it, some don't. The burden of proof falls on those who don't have it. Regardless of what the Lance bítches at Vs. say.

Since I think you're just collecting opinions here... mine is that THIS YEAR Alberto got in Andy's head. And this is the worst thing that could've happened to Andy, because I think he's mentally told himself that he can't beat Contador, even when the later shows up at 95%. Similar thing happened with Ulrich and Lance.

A

Anonymous

Señor_Contador said:
Since I think you're just collecting opinions here... mine is that THIS YEAR Alberto got in Andy's head. And this is the worst thing that could've happened to Andy, because I think he's mentally told himself that he can't beat Contador, even when the later shows up at 95%. Similar thing happened with Ulrich and Lance.

And now with AC on Saxo, the advantage surely has to go to AC with Riis' knowledge of the Schleck bros. If AC has gotten into Andy's head in this year's Tour then this union between AC and Riis surely has to magnify the blow even more.

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
interesting... really appreciate your idea. i mean... i've started following le tour since greg and indurain...... sorry coz i belong to 1967 batch. anyway, i just love armstrong and jalabert coz until now i still join triathlons for fun. but no way we could compare then to lance and ulrich coz they follow the myth of waiting their opponent like when armstrong fell in 2003 as payback with ulrich's flat tire. contador never did after andy's chain gotten off. they are the new breed and future of cycling. hopefully, andy would get on albert's head and win the tour. hehee... we don't know.... the tires are round and we can never be certain........... have a nice day....... enjoy your ride......

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Gee333 said:
And now with AC on Saxo, the advantage surely has to go to AC with Riis' knowledge of the Schleck bros. If AC has gotten into Andy's head in this year's Tour then this union between AC and Riis surely has to magnify the blow even more.

It should be terrifying :D
The Schlecks better get their act up.