• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Conte's prescription for success

Nice article!

Shows again also how relatively empty the statement 'Most tested Olympics of all time' is. Since the work (both training and doping) is done before the Olympics. Not during. So until drug testing is prevalent in the off season we all know that clean = 'clean'.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Interesting indeed :eek:

In late 2003 I advised USADA about the importance of random testing during the fourth quarter of the year. They did initially seem to follow my advice because they increased the number of fourth-quarter tests in 2004, 2005 and 2006.

However, they failed to continue this practice in 2007. Why would USADA decide to perform only 15% of their annual out-of-competition tests during the fourth quarter? Let's not forget that this is the off season before the upcoming summer Olympic Games. This is equivalent to a fisherman knowing that the fish are ready to bite and then consciously deciding that it is time to reel in his line and hook, lean his fishing pole up against a tree and take a nap.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Conte questioned the jamaican miracle.

Victor Conte, the mastermind behind the BALCO steroid scandal, met with former WADA chairman **** Pound in December to share inside information on athletes' doping practice. Conte believes more out-of-competition testing is needed to help curtail use of illegal performance-enchancing drugs.

On December 12, 2007, I advised WADA's **** Pound to routinely send disguised drug testers to Jamaica, and to begin doing so immediately. I had received information about a specific drug supplier - WADA received this person's name, address and phone number - who was allegedly working with elite track athletes. I also explained to Pound the importance of "offseason" testing and that testing at competitions is ineffective. The offseason is when athletes use anabolic steroids in conjunction with intensive weight training and develop the explosive strength base that serves them throughout the competitive season.

I have no evidence of doping by any of the winners of medals in Beijing, but when times begin falling like rain, questions arise, especially when the record-setters are from countries such as Jamaica and other Caribbean nations where there is no independent anti-doping federation.

Again, I have no knowledge that these individuals were involved in wrongdoing. All I know is that they and other athletes come from regions where minimal offseason testing is administered.

The IAAF - track's governing body - claims to rarely collect offseason samples for drug testing in Caribbean countries, mainly collecting out-of-competition (OOC) samples between competitions during the European track circuit from May until September of each year. In my opinion, this is basically a waste of funds and the same as in-competition testing because there is no routine offseason testing from October to January, when athletes who are cheating use steroids in combination with intensive weight training.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...eason-steroid-testing-article-1.316640?pgno=1

Conte said he believed the success of Jamaica's athletes could also be attributed to dubious methods.

"At the 2001 world championships athletes from a Caribbean country, not Jamaica, told me how a doctor from their team supplied them with testosterone, EPO (erythropoietin) and other kinds of steroids.

"I know, because I went to him and he gave me EPO.

"The same informer tells me now that before Beijing (Olympic Games in 2008) that the Jamaicans were applying the same protocol that I created at BALCO.

"I don't have proof, but all you need to do is look at the results: I strongly suspect (Usain) Bolt, and the others (Jamaicans)."

Conte, who has claimed that current anti-doping procedures are inept, said he could give one example of where the drug testers are going wrong.

He explained having pointed out "the period during which tests should be intensified: the last third of a year before a major event. If they (testers) think they're going to catch cheats at the Olympic Games or a world championships, they are kidding themselves."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/l...-finalists-doped/story-fn9dheyx-1226172423938

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Interesting indeed :eek:
Oh wow, I hadn't heard of that before. Reminds you of the USOC cover up scandal, doesn't it? It's very worrying if USADA is looking the other way, I thought the point of having separate anti-doping organisations was to avoid conflicts of interest.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Tyler'sTwin said:

Prophetic that Conte basically predicted that the Jamaicans would have a sensational 2008 games on the track.

Conte is calling out Memo Heredia as the mastermind of the Jamaicans success. I hope this connection can be proved:

https://mobile.twitter.com/VictorConte/status/321123488255598593

goggalor said:
Oh wow, I hadn't heard of that before. Reminds you of the USOC cover up scandal, doesn't it? It's very worrying if USADA is looking the other way, I thought the point of having separate anti-doping organisations was to avoid conflicts of interest.

USADA is not looking the other way. The sports federation has all the power. They dictate who to test what tests, when to test. The WADA certified lab is directed which tests to run on anonymous samples and then posts results to the APMU. From there red-hot positive samples can apparently rest forever as was the case with Armstrong 2009 samples until the UCI made an enormous mistake bickering with Ashenden.

The only reason Armstrong was finally sanctioned was all of the athletes went directly to USADA where the agency is obligated to apply the sports federations rules.

Take a minute to review that summary carefully. You need to understand how the system work. Which, clearly it doesn't work. But, that's the point. It hides the doping.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Shakes said:
Nice article!

Shows again also how relatively empty the statement 'Most tested Olympics of all time' is. Since the work (both training and doping) is done before the Olympics. Not during. So until drug testing is prevalent in the off season we all know that clean = 'clean'.

This system is being implemented by some teams in cycling on an island.

TRENDING THREADS