• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Conti riding the Vuelta??

Mar 11, 2009
267
0
0
Visit site
I think it's official, Conti won this years Tour...barely(he didnt win a stage, that ****es me off)...

But will he ride the Vuelta, and if he does, what are his chances of winning?
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,316
2
0
Visit site
luckyboy said:
That'll be Menchov who did really well and came third, and Basso, who, upon completing this Tour, has finished the last three GT's?



There is a lot to be said for any rider finishing 3 Consecutive GT's. Damn manly
 
luckyboy said:
That'll be Menchov who did really well and came third, and Basso, who, upon completing this Tour, has finished the last three GT's?

Menchov won the giro last year and finished 51st in the tour. This year he didnt do the giro and then came third in the tour Basso won the giro this year and was ill towards the end of the tour ending up well down. If you could put this down to being susceptible to illness due to being tired from the Giro then there is a point there but otherwise its just bad luck.
 
Jul 25, 2009
1,072
0
0
Visit site
Can anyone clarify the translation of paragraph 3 and 4 of the elmundo article?

Does he want to combine either the giro or vuelta with the tour, or ride the giro and vuelta but not the tour? Also, is he saying in paragraph 4 that it's hard to have the necessary motivation to ride the tour every year?

Thanks in advance.

I'm still kinda hoping he rides the Vuelta, even if he only races for a stage win rather than GC. After all, he rode 2 GT's in 08 and his 09 tour form didn't seem adversely affected. :)
 
El Imbatido said:
Ill play the role of ACF here:D Evans has done the last four GTs and finished them all......

09 TdF
09 Vuelta
10 Giro + a decent ardennes classics campaign
10 TdF

Yes, and in the first of those he failed miserably, in the second and third he was really good but tailed off towards the end of the third, and in the fourth he didn't do too well, but had mitigating circumstances (I think he'd have tailed off anyway but perhaps not as badly).

Evans managed:
09 Tour - 30th
09 Vuelta - 3rd
10 Giro - 5th
10 Tour - 23rd

Hardly evidence that you can be competitive in 2 GTs a year.

Sastre's 08-09 performances are a better indicator:

08 Tour - 1st
08 Vuelta - 3rd
09 Giro - 4th (3rd)
09 Tour - 17th
 
Apr 9, 2010
48
0
0
Visit site
Boeing said:
There is a lot to be said for any rider finishing 3 Consecutive GT's. Damn manly

What about Carlos Sastre who did 4 consecutive GTs in 2008(Tour+Vuelta) and 2009(Giro+Tour). His results were 1st,3rd,4th and 16th.

He also did 5 consecutive GTs in 2005 and 2006. Starting with the Tour in 2005. And he was a contender in 3 of those races.

Wow!!
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Yes, and in the first of those he failed miserably, in the second and third he was really good but tailed off towards the end of the third, and in the fourth he didn't do too well, but had mitigating circumstances (I think he'd have tailed off anyway but perhaps not as badly).

Evans managed:
09 Tour - 30th
09 Vuelta - 3rd
10 Giro - 5th
10 Tour - 23rd

Hardly evidence that you can be competitive in 2 GTs a year.

Sastre's 08-09 performances are a better indicator:

08 Tour - 1st
08 Vuelta - 3rd
09 Giro - 4th (3rd)
09 Tour - 17th

Another way to look at it is that evans wore the leaders jersey for a day in the last 3 of those.
 
Jul 20, 2010
17
0
0
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
Can anyone clarify the translation of paragraph 3 and 4 of the elmundo article?

Does he want to combine either the giro or vuelta with the tour, or ride the giro and vuelta but not the tour? Also, is he saying in paragraph 4 that it's hard to have the necessary motivation to ride the tour every year?

Thanks in advance.

I'm still kinda hoping he rides the Vuelta, even if he only races for a stage win rather than GC. After all, he rode 2 GT's in 08 and his 09 tour form didn't seem adversely affected. :)

Par. 3A preguntas de los periodistas, Contador ha asegurado que su intención es volver a correr la Vuelta o el Giro de Italia, aunque ha admitido lo "complicado" que resulta "compaginarlo en un mismo año". En este sentido, ha afirmado que "la Vuelta tiene un encanto especial", por "ser de tu casa".

Being questioned by the press, Contador assured that his intentions are to participate again in Vuelta or Giro, although he admitted how "difficult" is to "combine them in the same year". Regarding this, he said that "la Vuelta has a special charm", because "it takes place at my home".

Par 4.El corredor ha vuelto a reiterar la dificultad del tercer Tour y, en cuanto a la posibilidad de alcanzar los resultados de Miguel Indurain, cinco veces ganador del Tour, ha afirmado que se limita a "ir año a año" con la "motivación" que tenga

The cyclist repeated again how difficult was his third Tour, and regarding the possibility of reaching Miguel Indurain achievements, five times TdF winner, he says that he just wants to think and go "year by year" depending on the "motivation" of the moment.

In the next paragraph he just says that now is the moment to enjoy this third Tour, not to think about the fourth, next year will be the moment to think about that one.
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
Can anyone clarify the translation of paragraph 3 and 4 of the elmundo article?

Does he want to combine either the giro or vuelta with the tour, or ride the giro and vuelta but not the tour? Also, is he saying in paragraph 4 that it's hard to have the necessary motivation to ride the tour every year?

Thanks in advance.

I'm still kinda hoping he rides the Vuelta, even if he only races for a stage win rather than GC. After all, he rode 2 GT's in 08 and his 09 tour form didn't seem adversely affected. :)

He says he wants to combine either the Giro or the Vuelta with the Tour. On paragraph 4 he answers a question about reaching 5 wins like Indurain saying that he just thinks in going year by year. The mention to motivation is just spontaneous spoken language that doesn't make much sense when you read it. I guess he meant he just tries to find motivation for each edition, and he doesn't think beyond that.
 

TRENDING THREADS