• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cooling Off

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

With the arrival of summer here in New York, I'm expecting to have more quite a few days of training in scorching weather (32 degrees, 90% humidity). Does anyone ride in the heat with a mesh summer baselayer? I'd like to know if it's worth the investment, or if simply unzipping my jersey is still the most economic and efficient way to keep cool. Many thanks in advance.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
elf1978 said:
Hello,

With the arrival of summer here in New York, I'm expecting to have more quite a few days of training in scorching weather (32 degrees, 90% humidity). Does anyone ride in the heat with a mesh summer baselayer? I'd like to know if it's worth the investment, or if simply unzipping my jersey is still the most economic and efficient way to keep cool. Many thanks in advance.

Coolmax jersey is best unzipped.I ride in 30-40 deg all summer but try to do it early if possible.
However if racing a thin cotton vest is good to stop lycra burns if you fall.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
elf1978 said:
Hello,

I have one of those and right now I'm training in the South of France so 30 degrees+
And the mesh really is a good idea imo. I've done both here to check what I preferred and the baselayer really is a plus.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I always use one of those under shirt and even in the 90 F or 100 F it helps out, without it the jersey seems to stick to me and feels hotter. Not to mention the undershirt is so soft it helps prevent nipple chafe. Also, offers some UV protection, not sure how much but the tan lines mark it.

I'd be more interested in the ice vest for post ride cool down, I've seen some but not the ones I've seen the teams use, anyone know where those are?