• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Couldn't bring myself to buy the latest issue of Cycle Sport...

Too many questions about too many riders.

And a crack pot cover -

Is this the death of the sport?

Too many questions and not enough basis to believe in any of the participants.

Are they just a bunch of losers after a buck?

What a conundrum.

Such a beautiful sport wasted on ego, self interest and arrogance.

I've spent 30 years + as a participant and a fan, but couldn't watch more than a trifle of the Giro...

What a shame after last year's brilliant edition.

I guess the question is:

Is there anything left to believe in?

As Crosby, Stills and Nash once sang 'The darkest hour is just before the dawn'.

I agree with you, I gave up on the Giro and it is very bad when I find myself not caring about the racing (the last time was 99-05), but I keep on in the hope that one day the sport will clean up, and also because if you stop watching then you have effectively let the dopers and their apologists win by driving you away from the sport.

TubularBills said:

And a crack pot cover -

What a conundrum.

I've spent 30 years + as a participant and a fan, but couldn't watch more than a trifle of the Giro...

I guess the question is:

I believe in carriage returns after every sentence.

Thanks.

;)

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I could not find a reason to care about the Giro this year, either. I fear the Tour will be the same.

Another "victory" for... what do people here call him ? Contadoper, or is it Clentador ???

Deagol said:
I could not find a reason to care about the Giro this year, either. I fear the Tour will be the same.

Another "victory" for... what do people here call him ? Contadoper, or is it Clentador ???

You don't care so much that you want to let everybody know about it.

Right. Anyway, it was a spectacular Giro. Thanks for not using up bandwidth. :)

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
TubularBills said:

And a crack pot cover -

What a conundrum.

I guess the question is:

tear in eye rofl... bro go away find another sport fixed....bye..
the delusion and general childish outlook on sport and life in general found here blow my mind really it amazes me the ignorance and simple lack of critical thinking ability regarding pointless sport is comical at best. mental children good luck on that....

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:

but here you are why???

TubularBills said:

I guess the question is:

understand your conundrum. But as you say it IS a beautiful sport... and therefore is something worth fighting for.

Cycling just SEEMS so bad from a doping standpoint because cycling is trying to do more than other sport (e.g. soccer) at trying to arrest the problem.

on3m@n@rmy said:
understand your conundrum. But as you say it IS a beautiful sport... and therefore is something worth fighting for.

Cycling just SEEMS so bad from a doping standpoint because cycling is trying to do more than other sport (e.g. soccer) at trying to arrest the problem.

Good point, though I would say Novitsky & Co. are doing more towards eradication than anyone 'in' the sport?

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
TubularBills said:

And a crack pot cover -

What a conundrum.

I guess the question is:

Other than Marry Poppins and the Tooth Fairy . . . then the answer is NO. Until The Boil is Lanced and the cleansing begins, it will be business as usual.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
As Crosby, Stills and Nash once sang 'The darkest hour is just before the dawn'.

I agree with you, I gave up on the Giro and it is very bad when I find myself not caring about the racing (the last time was 99-05), but I keep on in the hope that one day the sport will clean up, and also because if you stop watching then you have effectively let the dopers and their apologists win by driving you away from the sport.

Nicely put. That also illustrates what is often missed by those who criticize The Clinic by only focusing on the cynicism and not seeing the passion for the sport that often lies behind that cynicism.
------------------------------

For me, it's the races I love much more than the riders. The Mur de Huy, the Arenburg, the Zoncolan, the Alps, the Pyrenees...the list goes on and on...the Champs-Élysées! Whichever individual crosses the line first is but temporary. The backdrop lives on eternally. All the riders have to conquer the same roads, which is why I desperately wish the cameras would cover more of the peloton throughout any race.

Watching a mountain descent is one of my favorite parts of any season. It is one of the rare chances where skill and daring triumph over doctors and doping. To me, it's by far one of the most beautiful aspects of the sport. The different team colors flashing by, the helicopter view from above—pure inspiration. Horrendous weather is another equalizer of sorts: rain, wind, snow, mud...the needle can be of little solace at that time. A transfusion never made a road less slippery.

There's more: watching the high-speed chess-match of the the last 10K of a sprint. Whether between a small breakaway or a massive group, I'm usually on the edge of my seat. The winning moment? That's usually the END of the fun for me! So who cares which specific rider or team takes the prize? The best part is the anticipation of that moment, where anything is possible and the unexpected sometimes prevails.

So, marvel at the landscape, lust after the high-tech gear (or yearn for the old), anticipate and analyze the tactics, and wonder what it might be like to live in that world.

As for most of the organizers, race announcers, team directors and riders: F@&k 'em.
The great races began before they were born, and may very well exist long after they have gone.
They are but transient participants; every one of them replaceable.
The truth of that is what strikes a good deal of fear in their hearts. It is also what, for us, should make loving the sport that much easier.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
TubularBills said:
"If you live in a glass house, don't throw stones."

Peter Tosh

How DARE someone love the Giro this year!

How DARE someone not think of doping every second they watch cylcing.

"If you have an opinion, don't think it's gospel"

Franklin

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I usually watch ever stage of the Giro and wake up early to see it live but this year, I saw a few early stages and then later watched a few recaps later in the evening of that day's stage then, finally just read the results in the closing week. It did fall rather flat this year and yes knowing someone who should be banned or benched till his case is finished was the main reason.

Also, am I the only one who remembers when Cycle Sport actually covered races and listed out tactics and racing stories of how it was won? I also remember the few comedy issues where ex-pro's would be editors for the month and re-work that month's edition to their taste. I would even buy a subscription back then.

What happened to that magazine? I'm surprised they still publish it, I see it in the news stands from time to time and take a peek and still no racing stories, just pictures and what seems like random text pasted in.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Nicely put. That also illustrates what is often missed by those who criticize The Clinic by only focusing on the cynicism and not seeing the passion for the sport that often lies behind that cynicism.

For me, it's the races I love much more than the riders. The Mur de Huy, the Arenburg, the Zoncolan, the Alps, the Pyrenees...the list goes on and on...the Champs-Élysées! Whichever individual crosses the line first is but temporary. The backdrop lives on eternally. All the riders have to conquer the same roads, which is why I desperately wish the cameras would cover more of the peloton throughout any race.

Watching a mountain descent is one of my favorite parts of any season. It is one of the rare chances where skill and daring triumph over doctors and doping. To me, it's by far one of the most beautiful aspects of the sport. The different team colors flashing by, the helicopter view from above—pure inspiration. Horrendous weather is another equalizer of sorts: rain, wind, snow, mud...the needle can be of little solace at that time. A transfusion never made a road less slippery.

There's more: watching the high-speed chess-match of the the last 10K of a sprint. Whether between a small breakaway or a massive group, I'm usually on the edge of my seat. The winning moment? That's usually the END of the fun for me! So who cares which specific rider or team takes the prize? The best part is the anticipation of that moment, where anything is possible and the unexpected sometimes prevails.

So, marvel at the landscape, lust after the high-tech gear (or yearn for the old), anticipate and analyze the tactics, and wonder what it might be like to live in that world.

As for most of the organizers, race announcers, team directors and riders: F@&k 'em.
The great races began before they were born, and may very well exist long after they have gone.
The truth of that is what strikes a good deal of fear in their hearts. It is also what, for us, should make loving the sport that much easier.

Great post after MJM's hope line which i also fully agree with. If you leave the sport as a fan, Polish, Flickie and those other bottom feeders and their doping heroes will have won.

i stood on the side of the road at last years Giro, L'Aquila stage, in a huge thunderstorm. Fantastic.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:

Great post. Love the imagery. Was going to snip for brevity...couldn't!

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
I usually watch ever stage of the Giro and wake up early to see it live but this year, I saw a few early stages and then later watched a few recaps later in the evening of that day's stage then, finally just read the results in the closing week. It did fall rather flat this year and yes knowing someone who should be banned or benched till his case is finished was the main reason.

Also, am I the only one who remembers when Cycle Sport actually covered races and listed out tactics and racing stories of how it was won? I also remember the few comedy issues where ex-pro's would be editors for the month and re-work that month's edition to their taste. I would even buy a subscription back then.

What happened to that magazine? I'm surprised they still publish it, I see it in the news stands from time to time and take a peek and still no racing stories, just pictures and what seems like random text pasted in.

Thats very true indeed. Sad to say it:( but it used to be an exciting read back in 2000/01 when everthing was under the carpet.. I think hanging out the washing has cost the sport a lot of its glamour.

Deagol said:

Sorry about your apathy but your anger is definitely misplaced. AC is not the problem. The problem started years ago and is still enabling doping.

The Giro was awesome this year. Too bad you missed it. Watch the TdF, enjoy it and hope for better days. It is getting better.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:

I disagree.
one main reason why doping isn't dealt with, is because people continue to watch and hence tv-stations continue to broadcast, etc.
sponsors or the UCI couldn't care less about doping as long as it has no negative consequences for the revenues.

EDIT: this is not saying anybody should stop watching.

I understand where you are coming from. I know that the teams, the riders, the journalists don't give a **** about the fans and that is why the continue to behave the way they do. That is why they continue to insult our intelligence and to take the ****.

But I think the choices are nicely described by Albert Otto Hirschman. You have (as the quality of something declines) three choices Exit, Voice, or Loyalty

Exit means you stop watching
Loyalty means you effectively say 'my sport right or wrong'
Voice means you try to improve the good by complaint.

I choose voice normally, but exit remains an option, and I do switch off when the racing becomes an absolute farce as it did in the Giro.

I'll be watching DL but I am not so sure I'll be tuning into the TDF this year.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Sadly i think there's a "New" type of fan who support certain riders and dont care if thier "Heros" dope 'cause "They all do it". The sport itself is still beutiful, just going through a dark period. The sport will only see the light when the UCI really do somthing radical like life bans for these "Heros", so tainted riders cant comr back and make a mockery of the sport.

ElChingon said:

Sadly, all too true. The old cycling magazines had detailed reports on the races and great photos. The current publications are anaemic in comparison. It's all preview, review blah blah...........tell us what happened in the race !

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Alberto Contador races after a miniscule amount of Clenbuterol was found in his system and this marks an all-time low for the sport?

Sorry, but after being a fan through Festina, Puerto, Valverde racing with juiced blood on file, etc. I have a very hard time seeing how anything this year can possibly mark a low-point for cycling. Especially not with Lance Armstrong under investigation and specific acts of UCI corruption finally coming to light.

As others have said, stick with the sport if you love it. Applaud the anti-doping measures. Be glad the Tour winner can no longer race with a 49.9% hematocrit and sleep easy at night. Keep tightening the noose on the dopers and enjoy the racing.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
I understand where you are coming from. I know that the teams, the riders, the journalists don't give a **** about the fans and that is why the continue to behave the way they do. That is why they continue to insult our intelligence and to take the ****.

But I think the choices are nicely described by Albert Otto Hirschman. You have (as the quality of something declines) three choices Exit, Voice, or Loyalty

Exit means you stop watching
Loyalty means you effectively say 'my sport right or wrong'
Voice means you try to improve the good by complaint.

I choose voice normally, but exit remains an option, and I do switch off when the racing becomes an absolute farce as it did in the Giro.

I'll be watching DL but I am not so sure I'll be tuning into the TDF this year.

great tripartition.
note the overlap though between VOICE and EXIT. Both can be used to express discontent.
Since VOICE has proven to be ineffective (i.e. UCI and sponsors remain ignorant in spite of complaints), EXIT remains as a last resort.