• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crazy hard stages collection

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Ok what about Stelvio last year? only 30 k less (the part with Mendola which isnt that important) but Stelvio Bormio > Gavia (dont know which they did in 94 and 96) and some even harder Mortirolo side.
Surely harder than Aprica '94, but the Stelvio South is not that harder then Gavia and Mortirolo (2012) is just slightly harder than the usual one. Tonale and Aprica were the same, so the only difference is Mendola. Surely isn't that important but it seems we're talking of a fourth category...
MendolaE.gif

on the other hand, this is the Stelvio south

StelvioS.gif

to be compared with Gavia

GaviaS.gif

shorter but steeper. Difficult to compare them, But I'd say the difference between them isn't as big as Mendola vs nothing :p

jens_attacks said:
yes that one i know it.the guy who did it is a really passionate cycling fan chapeau to him
and i have a question for you guys, do you know worse routes than that one of 1993 giro??
those were the mountains stages...what a joke
tappa14.jpg

tappa15.jpg

tappa21.jpg

thanks apmfbs for the link

The Corvara stage was actually good.

And yes, take a look at the '80s to see some seriously f*cked up routes. Like the '88 Giro.

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
The stage of Corvara was a very good designed stage, but 1993 was a very disappointing giro in relation to mountain stages.

I think they tried to assure Indurain´s defeat in some way, because there was only one flat 8 and very short) time trial ( Senigalia 28km) and the other one was the impressive mountain time trial from Pinerolo to Sestriere.

A bad route, even the usual tricky stages of the giro didn´t appear so much.

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
yes that was crazy

Taking into account the title of the post, I think there are three time trials that shoul be in the list:

Carpentras - Mont Ventoux 1987

mont+ventoux+87.jpg

Pinerolo - Sestriere 1993

455a10307121099dab8924f3526ae94do.gif

Cluses - Avoriaz 1994

The differences were terrible in those stages, and the faces of the riders once they finished were a drama.

Kwibus said:
T15_Fassa_alt-748x419.jpg

There are a lot harder stages, but I remember the last riders finishing after 8 hours and the first 10 riders all finished 1 by 1.
Attacking by the contenders started on the Giau. Still one of the best stages I've seen.
c'mon, you're the 32nd post... do you really think no one proposed that stage yet? :p

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
And perhaps the toughest stage ever in the vuelta ( if we only count stages stages landed in Spain)

perfil9.gif

Vinokourov won the stage in a disappointing stage with movements only in the final climb. But the stage was very , very hard.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
The hardest Giro stage in history was probably the crazy Sulmona - Arezzo (Giro 1925), 377 kms, ALL of which on Strade Bianche through the Appennines (though I can't find the route).

Stage 1 of the Giro in 1914. From Milano to Cuneo over Sestriere in terrible conditions with ice and snow. 425 km, 17 hours and 33 minutes.

phanatic said:
The haters take this one:
PROFIL.gif

Because the riders make the race, and everybody gets broken on this one: the Yellow Jersey, the man who took yellow, the race winner, the stage winner who wheelsucks a dropped king of the mountains back up to the great one himself who is dramaticlly broken in slow motion by Pierre Rolland.

Yeah you're right.

I especially loved the huge bunch 12km from the finish.

The Hitch said:
I know yall love that because its 250k but its basically Mortirolo finish with Gavia. Tonalle and Mendola are meh and Gavia is 60k from the foot of Mortirolo.

I would have thought there would have been harder Giro stages than that. San Christina maybe, but more importantly the stages were the mountains come back to back to back at the end, like Gardeccia last year or the route through those mountains in 2008 even though it was short or something like the 2003 stage were again it was major mountain after major mountain after major mountain for the finish.

IMO better than Mortirolo with a false flat even if Gavia comes before it.

You cannot possibly be serious.