• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium International without Saxo bank

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Its the organizer of the Tour de France, Amaury Sport Organisation, which has opted out Team Saxo Bank. ASO today announced the 16 teams who will compete for victory in the little French stage race, which runs on 24 and 25 in March.

What exclusion is due, nobody has reported anything about, and to Ritzau explains press spokesman Fabrice Tiano that he did not know how the selection has occurred and whether the non-invitation has something to do with Alberto Contadors two-year doping suspension.

If the case against Contador is the reason for this exclusion, can we then expect further sanctions against Contador after hes suspension ends?

However, I find it very unfair to exclude Saxo bank if its based on the assumption it has something to do with Contador´s case, its bad for the sport and the team had nothing to do with Contador when he got caught.

The selected 16 teams:
Ag2R, BMC, Cofidis, Garmin-Barracuda, Euskaltel, FDJ-BigMat, RadioShack-Nissan, Sky, Europcar, Colombia-Coldeportes, Bretagne-Schuller, Project 1T4I, Saur-Sojasun, Team Type 1, Auber 93, La Pomme Marseille

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Fidolix said:
Its the organizer of the Tour de France, Amaury Sport Organisation, which has opted out Team Saxo Bank. ASO today announced the 16 teams who will compete for victory in the little French stage race, which runs on 24 and 25 in March.

What exclusion is due, nobody has reported anything about, and to Ritzau explains press spokesman Fabrice Tiano that he did not know how the selection has occurred and whether the non-invitation has something to do with Alberto Contadors two-year doping suspension.

If the case against Contador is the reason for this exclusion, can we then expect further sanctions against Contador after hes suspension ends?

However, I find it very unfair to exclude Saxo bank if its based on the assumption it has something to do with Contador´s case, its bad for the sport and the team had nothing to do with Contador when he got caught.

So which teams did get the invite? Link, plz

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Saxo weren't there in 2011 either. Or 2010. Not everything revolves around Contador.

IIRC jens missed out one year as a result.. 2010?
that was a shame.

but yeh who cares, in reality saxo not making a cut in a smaller race is nothing big, thier team isn't exactly mind blowing.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
IIRC jens missed out one year as a result.. 2010?
that was a shame.

but yeh who cares, in reality saxo not making a cut in a smaller race is nothing big, thier team isn't exactly mind blowing.

Which produced that great quote which CHRISTIAN used to have as his signature, something about how if Kim Anderson wont give him a team, hell register for a independent license.

Can't remember it but Im sure CHRISTIAN will.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Which produced that great quote which CHRISTIAN used to have as his signature, something about how if Kim Anderson wont give him a team, hell register for a independent license.

Can't remember it but Im sure CHRISTIAN will.

Thanks for the shoutout Hitch - he said it in an interview with French TV (in remarkeably good french!) after the Paris-Nice Prologue 2010:

"Kim Andersen informed me during our training camp that Saxo Bank won't send a team to the Critérium. I said that's fine, I'll just go by myself. The first day I'll hide in the peloton, the second day I'll attack and for the ITT you don't need a team anyways. He said that was the right spirit but unfortunately you need to have at least six riders to compete. So maybe I'll apply for an independent license"

((loosely translated by me)

Fidolix said:

The selected 16 teams:
Ag2R, BMC, Cofidis, Garmin-Barracuda, Euskaltel, FDJ-BigMat, RadioShack-Nissan, Sky, Europcar, Colombia-Coldeportes, Bretagne-Schuller, Project 1T4I, Saur-Sojasun, Team Type 1, Auber 93, La Pomme Marseille

Isn't this old news, Saxobank(riis) don't mind it that much iirc.

TRENDING THREADS