• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Custom Carbon Fiber parts

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,
I wanted to know if people would be willing to pay for custom Carbon fiber parts.
I have been in the bicycle industry for over 20 years and also been in the composite industry for 10+ years <edit: URL removed> I have been working with local bicycle shops repairing carbon bikes out of warranty. I recently have started to create lightweight bicycle parts that can be color coded to match the bicycle colors.

I recently have mad a replacement shifter lever for Shimano Dur-Ace shifter which save 40grams. I would like to get some feedback if this is something that people would be willing to pay for or if it is not enough weight savings. I also have the capability of color coding the carbon weave so that every other weave is a color, so for red bikes the shifters can be a Black/Red carbon.

Please let me know what parts you would like to see made in carbon fiber. Any parts that are summited and are made i will send a sample to the person who suggests that part free of charge.

I have one request so far for a rear brake number holder. I will be making them for $10 and any group orders over 10 i will sell them for $8. I also plan to make a full carbon one with the place to pick the number so it will eliminate one bolt and save more weight, it will sell for $75 available June 10th

Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ric R

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have removed the link to your website from your post. The reason I did it was that as it stood it was advertising and that would get your thread deleted.

The discussion you are raising is an interesting one and people may wish to respond. You (and they) always have the option of using the private messgage feature if they wish to get more details about you and your company without resulting in an unpaid ad on the forum.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Back to the topic at hand (that could of been two PM's and not two distractors).

What would I pay? Humm... if I'm going to beta test a part I don't think I'm going to pay much right? At least not the same as a part that's been tested by the guinea pig pros and is warranted.

I might pay something for a part that's not critical as far as sending me to the hospital if it fails, like the race number holder but I don't think many would actually use a race number here because it pigeon holes us to a certain demographic that many would like to stay away from :D

I guess some good water bottle cages in Tour leader Yellow would be nice, yes I have such a bike and I can never find cages that look right. I do mean work as the bottles will not pop off even if I bunny hop the curb and the rear wheel hits, not that I've ever done that :eek: ;)

So show and tell time.