• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cx Carbon Forks

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
This is a good question and one which concerned me when I started riding cross. I can only vouch for the integrity of the Kinesis EVO forks after I stacked avoiding a rider falling in front of me at probably 15mph with the front end taking the impact of the crash. The upshot was that my frame failed catastrophically at the thinnest **** on the d/t and no structural damage to my fork (which was sent back under warranty and tested for integrity. I have the certification). A quick straw poll of my 'cross buddies gave the following recommendations: Kinesis EVO's, Ridley Pythons. Lots of recommendations on the steel front for IF too.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Ritchey is a good fork as well. The Easton is good but I have found it nearly impossible to get the shudder out of it.

I tend to stick to an alloy steerer tube, at my level of racing cross the crashes can be quite hard so I like the strength of the alloy.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Heya - i've found that a lower-mounting cable hanger does wonders for brake jitter, check out the photo for what i've found:

P9031995.JPG

I've had zero jitter with this on two bikes (one had bad jittering prior), and know of several others who have had a lot of success with this setup.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I have the Reynolds CX carbon fork, and have had no issues with it.
Much lighter than the Kinesis aluminum fork that was previously on there too. :)

I did have some shudder until my brake pads/rim braking surface broke in.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
No problem for me and I'm not light - been riding carbon forks for four seasons now - different brands - including an utter hammering for them in the Three Peaks Cyclocross but never had cause for complaint with a pair. I think road forks are under more stress because of the tyre pressures.