• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Ireland EGM on McQuaid nomination

Things are hotting up in Ireland:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056948917

One club has noted how it will establish how to vote:

"ahead of the Cycling Ireland EGM on the Pat McQuaid nomination on the 15th June (PDF of details), there will be an Orwell EGM to decide our vote. This will be held on the 27th May in Milltown Institute at 7.30pm. If you're not familiar with the Milltown Institute, then firstly shame on you for not coming to any of the events this year, and secondly, it's located here: http://goo.gl/maps/gshcE.

The resolution is as follows: "That Mr. Pat McQuaid be and is hereby nominated by Cycling Ireland to stand as a candidate for the Presidency of the UCI at the 2013 UCI Congress and that the said nomination be executed and submitted forthwith by the Board of this Company."

You must be a fully paid up member of Orwell to attend and vote. Bring your licence, there will be a sign-on sheet at the door. Each member has a single vote, and voting will be by secret ballot. There will be no option for voting by proxy if you cannot attend. If you feel strongly about the matter, please attend the EGM.

We will have one principal speaker in favour of the McQuaid nomination, and one speaker against. Thereafter, each member who wishes to address the floor will be allowed to speak once, and given two minutes to do so.

As we are quite a large club, we are allowed six delegates for the CI EGM, which means six votes. We will need people to attend the EGM on our behalf, so please let us know on the night if you are able and willing to do so. Details are at the link above. Delegates have no free vote at the CI EGM - their vote will be decided in advance.

If a two-thirds majority is achieved in either direction at our EGM, all delegates will be instructed to follow that majority vote. If no two-thirds majority is achieved, then the delegates will be split pro rata. i.e., if 100 people attend the Orwell EGM, and 50 vote for, and 50 against, then 3 delegates will vote for the resolution at the CI EGM, and 3 will vote against. If the split is not so neat, we will round off as appropriate. Please use the forum to ask any questions."

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/news-and-events/492-egm-and-other-dates.html

An email could easily be sent to every paid up member of Cycling Ireland containing the manifesto for and against his nomination. What's the difficulty in that? It would at least publicise the issue and encourage active participation in the vote.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
There are set procedures for an EGM, delegates from each club should attend and only those that attend have a vote. Some clubs will send delegates with a mandate from the club to vote either way, some clubs will send delegates with no mandate to vote either way and let them vote either way after listening to the pros and cons of supporting a nomination. A majority vote is needed these are the rules and are democratic.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
“It has become clear that my nomination in Ireland has been politicised by a small group of people,” he said, justifying his reasons for sidestepping the EGM process. “However, I have received a wealth of letters from national federations all around the world urging me to stand for President again and I strongly believe that it should be for our national federations around the world to decide democratically on their next president.”

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-election-as-UCI-President.aspx#ixzz2TRrEJD5P

How do we get a copy of all those national federation letters?

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
WTF are the Swiss police doing with the investigation into McQuaid and Verbruggen?

probably having a discussion with them on how to avoid criminal actions in the future. a $100,000 to the police for some new tasers might be eminent.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
what an endgame - all the "clean", "change", "credible", etc. movements are totally and completely verbruquaided - expect everyone going "full genius" in TdF, obviously lead by marginal gains skyborgs

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
CYCLING IRELAND can show the WORLD what they think of phat ! Continue ewith the vote , even the Africans and Asians can understand a COMPLETE REJECTION that a NO VOTE sends !

family mc quaid are running the stall at the " Sponsors Village of the Giro "! it will come as no surprise that they arrive LONG AFTER all the other workers have been grafting , pass out a few cards , an occasional brochure and chat anyone wearing the " doggy collar of accreditation " , soon as they can they are off to find something else to do with their day !

WHO is paying for that Stall , the accomodation , meals , car hire , fuel ? Could it be the Irish Tax Payer ? Who ever , are they getting value OR is Ireland getting a result other than the leaflets blowing around the littered grounds ?

Corruption in the international sports federations has a bright future. In fact cycling is peanuts compared to the Olympics and football. Since Switzerland is the capital of sports business it is somewhat logical that this happened.

As someone has already mentioned, the Irish federation should now reject McQuaids nomination in order to make a statement against corruption and insider control of sports federations.

frenchfry said:
Corruption in the international sports federations has a bright future. In fact cycling is peanuts compared to the Olympics and football. Since Switzerland is the capital of sports business it is somewhat logical that this happened.

As someone has already mentioned, the Irish federation should now reject McQuaids nomination in order to make a statement against corruption and insider control of sports federations.

I ffor nothing else they should reject him for rejecting them. It is like treason.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Anyone who thinks top riders are clean with this sort of corruption at the head of the sport is truly an idiot.
Anybody that thinks the corruption at the top of the UCI is protecting any current riders is also an idiot.
If they are protecting anyone it is from the past and so far only LA has been indicated as a beneficiary of that corruption or did I miss someone?

I know you will invent a list that conforms to your belief system that all riders are dopers.

Comedy compliments of boards.ie:

Very eloquent indeed !A good spokesman for your 'crusade' .Id bet Pat McQuaid was working for cycling when you were in nappies if not long beforehand .Show some respect!Id bet half the posters here (for sure the one above) have never even HEARD of the Nissan Classic /Kellogs Criterium Series etc .
To the poster who suggested Pat has no support(ers) that is incorrect .I repeat that I have met both Anto and Pat and formed the impression both were true gentlemen in their own dfferent ways .
I will admit to not being at the cutting edge of knowledge on the whole cycling doping fiasco/tragedy -frankly it saddens me .But the fervour with which many have turned on the greatest cycling administrator/manager/organiser that irish cycling has ever known is sickening.The man deserves a LOT more respect for his achievements over many decades regardless of any percieved 'failings' since his appointment to the world #1 position.I continue to be proud of the fact that an irishman holds that post.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Comedy compliments of boards.ie:

Very eloquent indeed !A good spokesman for your 'crusade' .Id bet Pat McQuaid was working for cycling when you were in nappies if not long beforehand .Show some respect!Id bet half the posters here (for sure the one above) have never even HEARD of the Nissan Classic /Kellogs Criterium Series etc .
To the poster who suggested Pat has no support(ers) that is incorrect .I repeat that I have met both Anto and Pat and formed the impression both were true gentlemen in their own dfferent ways .
I will admit to not being at the cutting edge of knowledge on the whole cycling doping fiasco/tragedy -frankly it saddens me .But the fervour with which many have turned on the greatest cycling administrator/manager/organiser that irish cycling has ever known is sickening.The man deserves a LOT more respect for his achievements over many decades regardless of any percieved 'failings' since his appointment to the world #1 position.I continue to be proud of the fact that an irishman holds that post.

Who said that ?