• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling on USA TVs, desktops, laptops, and handheld devices

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I splurged and went full FloBikes, GCN+, and I have NBC for the others. The last remaining one is purchasing NBC Gold so I can watch the NBC races live instead of like 12 hours later at 9PM PST. But I am waiting for the NBC Gold cycle to restart in late May then I'll snag that too. It's worth not getting dropped on Tiz with 5 km to go :mad:. Oh, and I can watch them all safely at work without having to worry about sketch adverts popping up.

Flobikes no longer has enough high class races to make it worth $150 per year. That is unless you watch cross or other sports. I will not renew when my subscription expires.

Flobikes no longer has enough high class races to make it worth $150 per year. That is unless you watch cross or other sports. I will not renew when my subscription expires.
Agreed. It's not exactly worth it but I try to catch a bit of every race, and it has a lot of the Spring Classics. Between the three subscriptions and their corresponding rights I can watch all WT and most lower level races too.

Reactions: Carols
Agreed. It's not exactly worth it but I try to catch a bit of every race, and it has a lot of the Spring Classics. Between the three subscriptions and their corresponding rights I can watch all WT and most lower level races too.

Yeah next year I'll have too suffer GW, Dwars, Amstel and the Ronde on Tiz. But I'm not rich enough to pay $150 just for those few races. When they had all the RCS races I coughed it up. But those are on GCN+ now :)
GCN and NBCSports Gold together are $105 per year (unless Gold is increased next cycle). I can live with that and 5 races a year on Tiz.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Does anybody have any information about US TV for the Tour of France? I see where NBCSN is going by the wayside for cycling, or actually NBC Sports Cycling Pass is discontinuing June 8 2021. They say sign up for NBC Peacock, at $4.99 per month (first 7 days free), $9.99 for no ads, but you can be on a month-to-month basis. That appeals to me because I was going to restart my Sling subscription, for a month, just to watch ToF on NBCSN for around $35. That would be a bad move given that they won't be showing ToF on NBCSN.

The problem is that you go to the NBC Peacock cycling specific page, they don't really tell you what they will be showing. They are very short on details, only to say:

"There are currently no live cycling events scheduled on Peacock, but you can watch news and highlights—and all of our Premium sports and programming—until the next cycling event arrives."

Boy, that could be taken a hundred different ways.

Anybody here know more details? I'm not going to sign up until I have more details.

ADDED:

Does anybody have any information about US TV for the Tour of France? I see where NBCSN is going by the wayside for cycling, or actually NBC Sports Cycling Pass is discontinuing June 8 2021. They say sign up for NBC Peacock, at $4.99 per month (first 7 days free), $9.99 for no ads, but you can be on a month-to-month basis. That appeals to me because I was going to restart my Sling subscription, for a month, just to watch ToF on NBCSN for around $35. That would be a bad move given that they won't be showing ToF on NBCSN.

The problem is that you go to the NBC Peacock cycling specific page, they don't really tell you what they will be showing. They are very short on details, only to say:

"There are currently no live cycling events scheduled on Peacock, but you can watch news and highlights—and all of our Premium sports and programming—until the next cycling event arrives."

Boy, that could be taken a hundred different ways.

Anybody here know more details? I'm not going to sign up until I have more details.

ADDED:

NBCSports is ending at the end of 2021. Tour should be shown on it this July.

As for Peacock it's pretty useless for any information on any sport.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Nacho
Thanks Koronin. I think the broadcasting on NBCSport is done at the end of this month -- or there abouts. They might be keeping the website alive for viewing for the rest of the year???. I was able to find this about Peacock, dated May 26, 2021:

I don't know how I'm going to watch it if this doesn't pan out. I tried GCN+ but that didn't seem to work well for me. I guess I could watch through my VPN, but I don't know any languages other than English, and I need help that commentators give you.

• Sad
Thanks Koronin. I think the broadcasting on NBCSport is done at the end of this month -- or there abouts. They might be keeping the website alive for viewing for the rest of the year???. I was able to find this about Peacock, dated May 26, 2021:

I don't know how I'm going to watch it if this doesn't pan out. I tried GCN+ but that didn't seem to work well for me. I guess I could watch through my VPN, but I don't know any languages other than English, and I need help that commentators give you.
They do speak English in a few other places, right? ;)

LOL A couple. I tried to watch the GIRO from Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa TV -- English, but they made you register for the free TV stream. I saw that as a problem, so I wound up watching the GIRO using my VPN to Spain, and just normal TV but in Spanish. It was OK but I sure didn't understand anything they said except I was able to make out "Etape".

I further found this link, and it does a better job of explaining what cycling will be on NBC Peacock than NBC:

The only bad thing I can see about it is that it is a one-time broadcast. You miss the original, for whatever reason, they won't show it again. I guess if that happens I could seek out some of those non-English broadcasts to supplement!

Reactions: Sciatic

Nope. NBCSports is broadcasting live sports at least through August as they are putting the live Indy Car races on NBCSports through September as most of the Indy Car races are on NBCSports, which includes the season finale at the end of Sept. As for cycling, they never update when that is going to be on until basically the event is ready to start. Yes, the Tour WILL be on NBCSports. Just like la Vuelta WILL be on the Olympic Channel.

Nope. NBCSports is broadcasting live sports at least through August as they are putting the live Indy Car races on NBCSports through September as most of the Indy Car races are on NBCSports, which includes the season finale at the end of Sept. As for cycling, they never update when that is going to be on until basically the event is ready to start. Yes, the Tour WILL be on NBCSports. Just like la Vuelta WILL be on the Olympic Channel.
OK. I agree. That last link I left bore that out too, that it would be on NBCSN, as well as Peacock. I'm going to try 1 month of Peacock, and reactivate my Sling (/w NBCSN) subscription for 1 month if Peacock doesn't work out.

Where did you see the Vuelta will still be on the Olympic Channel? I'm ecstaic to hear it will but haven't seen any info on it.

I well know that. That link was more definite though.

I'm hoping the NBC Peacock will work out, but given what NBC has done to every other cycling program they have had, I'm not too optimistic.

I won't pay for the peakcock network. My husband did the free trial for Indy week and the conclusion was, it's not worth it. Not sure about which sports are leaving NBC at the end of the year, but the NHL is one of them. They are going to ESPN at the end of the year. NBC has never been good for cycling.

I'll say "no" to peacock also. I joined it, the free part, to check it out and then hopefully purchase it when the ToF came around. I couldn't even watch a video of any program they had. Their explanation: the browser(s) I use weren't compatible with their system because I use Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows, on my PC. And that is how I wanted to watch it, on my PC. That exclusion of Ubuntu Linux is sooooo stupid and sooooo yesterday. I have many online places I go that I watch videos with no problem. I think they are just too lazy to go the extra mile to check it out on Linux -- they have it on the exact same browsers in Win!

My Roku worked, but their interface is not up to speed. It seemed next to impossible (to me) to change or look at the current setting of Closed Caption, plus there was no way to control the video quality/bit rate. I like to limit the bit rate to the lowest possible setting so that I'm not wasting bandwidth/allowances on my ISP.

So, it didn't look to me to be a viable option. I guess I'll re-up on Sling TV for a month, and watch it on NBCSN with either one of my browsers on my Ubuntu Linux system.

note that there is a major difference between Peacock and Peacock premium. Got the e-mail last month that the NBC gold package is moving to Peacock Premium.
From what I can tell, only the price, which dictates what you are able to watch and if there are advertisements/level of advertisements. It appears to me that a person uses the exact same interface whatever they are able to watch.

Is anything else different?

From what I can tell, only the price, which dictates what you are able to watch and if there are advertisements/level of advertisements. It appears to me that a person uses the exact same interface whatever they are able to watch.

Is anything else different?

peacock premium has full length replays. They have a ton of them in the IndyCar section. Also has all of the WWE replays

Reactions: Carols and Nacho

TRENDING THREADS