• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CyclingNews PRO Paywall?

Has anyone else seen this?

Like CyclingTips.com CN is now trying to monetize it's best content for a small monthly fee.

How many of you forumites plan on paying for the better content?

04.03.2018-05.54.png

04.03.2018-05.54.png

The content would have to be pretty good... and there'd have to be evidence that contributors were benefiting (written and photographic). No objection to paying for content in principle. I won't though (for instance) pay to access my local newspaper's website as it is owned by a large company, has spent the last decade laying off staff, doesn't pay for photos ... and as a result, it's rubbish.

Absolutely no intention of paying to read a race report, rider interview or viewing photos of bikes. That's absurd. I'm not desperately in need of anything written on this site. It mainly serves as a mildly amusing distraction, the contents of which can be found elsewhere.
P.S. The mods deserve to be paid.

Sorry, just want to add one more thing. I think the quality of writing about races here is top notch; there have been more than one turn of phrase I repeated to others after reading a race report and/or analysis.
But to be totally honest, the forum is probably the main reason I visit the site. Sadly, a lot of valuable and entertaining contributors have been banned over the years, but there still remains a lot of people who are worth checking in on.

the delgados said:
Absolutely no intention of paying to read a race report, rider interview or viewing photos of bikes. That's absurd. I'm not desperately in need of anything written on this site. It mainly serves as a mildly amusing distraction, the contents of which can be found elsewhere.
P.S. The mods deserve to be paid.
That would be a nice gesture.. :)

I wouldn't (pay). I have in the past done things like donate to Wikipedia, and I would in the future consider paying for proper, high quality journalism. But as for cycling/sport related stuff ~ the less it's commodified and capitalised and monetized the better.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
No chance I’ll pay. I get very little of my cycling media through cyclingnews. I don’t know how much it costs, but the content has to be outstanding for me to pay for it.

Media used to have several revenues, one from the subscription/audience, one from advertisement and another not very honest from propaganda.
The radio hardly had any income from subscription, ever.

Now it comes to the point on advertisement and the propaganda (in cycling is not very common).
Cycling itself is a marketing product that needs the media to succeed. Would you charge cycling fans for the sport when the branding is not that established?

It’s always going to depend what the content is. I have no problem paying for good content. I’d expect insight I can’t get elsewhere and also removal of ads. I stopped buying cycling and music magazines when they just started to be 50% advertising and the rest recycled articles, and I mean literally recycled from previous years. I’ve noticed that CN are starting to do videos, I’m guessing these might be something that end up behind the paywall. They have a lot to compete with on that front, let’s see how it goes.

Re:

King Boonen said:
It’s always going to depend what the content is. I have no problem paying for good content. I’d expect insight I can’t get elsewhere and also removal of ads. I stopped buying cycling and music magazines when they just started to be 50% advertising and the rest recycled articles, and I mean literally recycled from previous years. I’ve noticed that CN are starting to do videos, I’m guessing these might be something that end up behind the paywall. They have a lot to compete with on that front, let’s see how it goes.

Me too. I used to have a subscription to Cycling Weekly, but I stopped it when I noticed not only the endless recycling of anodyne articles but also the correlation between products getting a good review in the magazine and the appearance of the product in advertising within the magazine.

I think some cycling mags have upped their game, Cyclist being full of in depth articles and beautiful photography, but I'm afraid I still don't purchase them. Ultimately, I don't think I'm interested enough by what they say.

inrng is quiet good alright, i paid a one off contribution to CTips after number of good articles and i like the daily digest. For cyclingnews id probably make a donation if i found i was using it for more than just casual news and race reports, but after the event.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't pay, I'm mainly here for the race reporting and forums. I get monetizing, but thats going to drive a lot of viewers to eurosport or velonews, thereby cutting the legs off click ads and reviews, etc. Just sayin'.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
1. Here for the forum where the real knowledge, commentary, news, and reporting really lives.

2. Other sites are faster for results and most articles here are GB biased anyway and you can read very little about anything else.

3. There is more than enough ads and junk on this website to justify any additional cost.

BTW I used to subscribe the printed version, but in addition to the high cost here in the USA, the delay was so significant that everything was just to dated when I received it. Otherwise, good quality magazine. Just don't like reading old news.

TRENDING THREADS