• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclocross pit rules?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Long time road racer and just did my first cyclocross race this past weekend. Had a blast, unfortunately I flatted about 3/4 of the way through. So my question is, if I keep a spare wheelset in the pit area, are riders allowed in the pit area to do there own work, or do you have to have a mechanic? I wasn't entirely clear on the etiquette in this case.

dynomike8 said:
Long time road racer and just did my first cyclocross race this past weekend. Had a blast, unfortunately I flatted about 3/4 of the way through. So my question is, if I keep a spare wheelset in the pit area, are riders allowed in the pit area to do there own work, or do you have to have a mechanic? I wasn't entirely clear on the etiquette in this case.

The answer depends on where you are racing and what the weather. You are always allowed to leave wheels in the pit and change them yourself. In the pacific northwest at a big race esp. with rain I'd imagine you would have a hard time locating them since others would have pit crews and your wheels might get trampled in the frenzy. Anywhere that it doen't rain much and in local races the pit tends to generally be "self service". Hint: put your stuff near a noticable landmark, sponsor banner or suchlike, so you can find 'em fast. Oh yeah, a spare bike is about 100% better than wheels.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense that the pit area would be self service at local races. I can't imagine too many c/b racers would have there own mechanic.

I have heard/read from many sources that a spare bike is the way to go, but it is just not in the budget right now. But I do have a bunch of extra wheelsets lying around, so thats better than nothing.