• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dauphine no shows

With Andy Schleck's performance in the Dauphine, I can't help but be reminded of previous years when so many top contenders have been no shows for this race and show up strong as an ox for the Tour. Often the reason has likely been that they've recently withdrawn blood and are weak for the next couple of weeks.

I know Schleck has shown no form all year, and his troubles have been well publicized, but this performance is suspiciously bad to me. If he shows up at the Tour with form, it will have been several times in recent years that he shows magic form. Very suspicious.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
With Andy Schleck's performance in the Dauphine, I can't help but be reminded of previous years when so many top contenders have been no shows for this race and show up strong as an ox for the Tour. Often the reason has likely been that they've recently withdrawn blood and are weak for the next couple of weeks.

I know Schleck has shown no form all year, and his troubles have been well publicized, but this performance is suspiciously bad to me. If he shows up at the Tour with form, it will have been several times in recent years that he shows magic form. Very suspicious.

Agreed. If Andy shows up super strong at the Tour and goes on to win it, it will make a mockery of the sport - even for those who thought that no longer possible.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Agreed. If Andy shows up super strong at the Tour and goes on to win it, it will make a mockery of the sport - even for those who thought that no longer possible.

Same for the guy who finished right beside Andy today (Vino), no shocker there.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:

Only 8 riders in history have won the Dauphine and the Tour in the same year:

Louison Bobet, Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Louis Ocaña, Bernard Thévenet, Bernard Hinault, Miguel Indurain and Lance Armstrong.

Maybe this year we will see #9? You are right though - if it happens it will not be Andy. And to be honest, I do not think Andy is tough enough to be on that List anyway.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:

Louison Bobet, Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Louis Ocaña, Bernard Thévenet, Bernard Hinault, Miguel Indurain and Lance Armstrong.

Maybe this year we will see #9? You are right though - if it happens it will not be Andy. And to be honest, I do not think Andy is tough enough to be on that List anyway.

Never mind winning, I'd settle for contending, at least a little bit.

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe he wants to do a massive breakaway so he lost 3 minutes deliberately?? Is there any reasonable explanation here? I mean, if he's that weak he should at least fake a chain drop or something so it doesn't look so suspicious... pop his own tire or something..

May 12, 2010
Visit site
FabulousCandelabra said:
Maybe he wants to do a massive breakaway so he lost 3 minutes deliberately?? Is there any reasonable explanation here? I mean, if he's that weak he should at least fake a chain drop or something so it doesn't look so suspicious... pop his own tire or something..

He's just doing what he does every year (maybe a little more extreme this year, but barely). If you don't care about any race but the Tour (and Liège for a little bit), why would you need to fake anything when you treat every other race like a training ride?

FabulousCandelabra said:

I think not a problem with the legs but a problem with the mind. He hasn’t raced since Liege. He told Sportza over the weekend that Bruyneel has forced him to reduce his race calendar against his will. Hog also suggested not use too much energy until 2nd week of the Tour. Take from that what you will but in this day and age riders want to race and to perform. Andy was suggesting he doesn’t know how this new preparation style will work out.

thehog said:
I think not a problem with the legs but a problem with the mind. He hasn’t raced since Liege. He told Sportza over the weekend that Bruyneel has forced him to reduce his race calendar against his will. Hog also suggested not use too much energy until 2nd week of the Tour. Take from that what you will but in this day and age riders want to race and to perform. Andy was suggesting he doesn’t know how this new preparation style will work out.

Interesting. Has his program changed much from previous years? I don't follow his comings and goings much beyond Liege, TdSuisse and the Tour.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Interesting. Has his program changed much from previous years? I don't follow his comings and goings much beyond Liege, TdSuisse and the Tour.

Well he normally rides Pais Vasco, this year he rode Sarthe instead, then he's typically ridden California but hasn't raced since Liege as mentioned above. Today was only his 13th race day of the season as he didn't finish Paris - Nice or Catalunya.

I think we'll see him soft-pedalling most of the week, he should be having a good go at the TT but wouldn't surprise me to see him not bother with that. He'll show his face with a so-so performance on Joux-Plane I expect, but that's it.

Polish said:

I'm thinking the only reason your hero Lance shows up on this list is because he knew how to prepare himself better w/r to timing his peaks than Andy. :rolleyes:

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Yea because Vino does only do well in the tour :rolleyes:
Look at his palmares before you write such nonsene ;)

Easy Tiger, or Tigress. It wasn't nonsense but was below board, sorry. Hey I like Vino and his tenacity while racing. Hopefully once he retires, and his political future doesn't pan out he'll be one of the guys to spill his guts, I could see him doing that and riding against the wind so to speak.

I just don't see "Vino" finishing 3 minutes down on an average day in the alps within one month of the Tour. He must be just saving himself.

I'll remember to stay clear of any Vino insinuations in the future. I like my kneecaps.

Neworld said:
Easy Tiger, or Tigress. It wasn't nonsense but was below board, sorry. Hey I like Vino and his tenacity while racing. Hopefully once he retires, and his political future doesn't pan out he'll be one of the guys to spill his guts, I could see him doing that and riding against the wind so to speak.

I just don't see "Vino" finishing 3 minutes down on an average day in the alps within one month of the Tour. He must be just saving himself.

I'll remember to stay clear of any Vino insinuations in the future. I like my kneecaps.

I am sorry if I was a bit harsh :eek:
I am just getting abit anoyed when his last season (witch he came to with a broken bone) at the age of 38 is used as an argument for how bad he "really" is without doping

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I am sorry if I was a bit harsh :eek:
I am just getting abit anoyed when his last season (witch he came to with a broken bone) at the age of 38 is used as an argument for how bad he "really" is without doping

Got it. I'd take Vino, at 38, with a healing fractured femoral neck, and his 'saucy' attacking style over half the pack it terms of sheer entertainment value.

As for no shows, what happened to Daniel Martin today, 16:30 back...did he crash with Sanchez?

Neworld said:
Got it. I'd take Vino, at 38, with a healing fractured femoral neck, and his 'saucy' attacking style over half the pack it terms of sheer entertainment value.

As for no shows, what happened to Daniel Martin today, 16:30 back...did he crash with Sanchez?

I saw him getting back on his bike and looking pained also with a hole in his jersey. :( Did not see the crash though.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Neworld said:

Different crash but he was down for a while and looked very tentative getting going.

It looked like his fault and he brought down Gerrans and a couple of others.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
wiggins

i am shock the way WIGGINS ride he ride same has LANG ASMTRONG he look so easy on the mountain or before was always dropped the improvement seem not right ,hes on the top of everyone so strong he can win the tour de france with 5 minutes so easy ,then hes team so strong they all ride has a bullet the rider did again beat the drug cheating they go faster and faster what a joke???

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

LOL, why do you bother, this is the clinic.

Rider A did "X" - he's certainly doping
Rider A did not do "X" - he's certainly doping

Choire in the background: Who cares if rider A did or did not do "X", they're all dopers anyway.

Just a good read for a chuckle once in a while, that's all

ellenbrook2001 said:
i am shock the way WIGGINS ride he ride same has LANG ASMTRONG he look so easy on the mountain or before was always dropped the improvement seem not right ,hes on the top of everyone so strong he can win the tour de france with 5 minutes so easy ,then hes team so strong they all ride has a bullet the rider did again beat the drug cheating they go faster and faster what a joke???

tumblr_lxi4xi5nQr1qjpp2f.gif

You are absolutely right.

Here is a rider who crashed and was seriously hurt in last year's Tour and decided to un-retire to finish on somewhat of a high note, and instead of people applauding his efforts he gets the same crap thrown in his face by the haters.

Vino lives!!!

ellenbrook2001 said:

I'll reserve judgement. He does have a strong team, and they're all riding for him. How this will pan out at Le Tour, when the domestiques have to ride for Cav in the early flat sprints, chase down breakaways for Wiggo in the hills, AND drag Cav through the hills so he can have his 15 minutes (again) in Green on the Champs Elysees. Something don't add up. But there's no doubt Wiggins has done a lot of training, at altitude, and up and down hills. And he's always been a good TTer. As I say, reserving judgement.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
WIGGINS performance

yes i do agree hes one of the best on time trial but have you see the way he was on the mountain all this team was going so fast only 10 riders was able too follow hes domestic was flying ?????WIGGINS was going same speed has L-ASMTRONG how could you justify such performance even you do a lot altitude training you cannot in one year become an elite climber even CONTATOR woud be shock such performance???something fishy here he look so easy even talk too hes mate not even out of puff common guys impossible?sure he got the best doping undetected yet?
hope he get caught he so stupid too shown how strong hes it everyone going too be suspicious.