Davide Formolo discussion thread

I couldn't find a thread in the directory and thought he merited one, despite his disappointing day today. Top 10 would be respectable but does the young turk have it in him to jump a couple of places on a stage that suits him tomorrow?
 
Aug 4, 2014
1,459
0
0
David de la Cruz has been fighting like crazy but on sheer ability, and at this stage of the race, his namesake might have it in him to take him down. Though it likely won't be so much a fight for the death as slowly drifting shrapnel floating aground after everything goes boom boom.

Dani Moreno and even Simon Yates might be sacrificed for their teammates, but at this stage of the race that would absolutely have to be a "break glass in case of emergency"-type situation. Meanwhile Astana has plenty of soldiers, and Scarponi's fight for seventh place will go down in the next volume of the annals of Sporting Fights for Minor Placings. Along with other less public tomes, I might be inclined to venture.

So yeah, ninth seems to be as far as he can go. Vedremo.
 
Aug 16, 2013
6,421
0
0
Funny situation. In his previous GT's: he rode spectaculair till a certain point when you knew he would blow up. And now he's maybe one of the most ninja and invisible riders of this Vuelta, and will finish in the top-10 of a GT at last :)
 
Re:

Arredondo said:
Funny situation. In his previous GT's: he rode spectaculair till a certain point when you knew he would blow up. And now he's maybe one of the most ninja and invisible riders of this Vuelta, and will finish in the top-10 of a GT at last :)
In fairness, he contributed to the Formigal stage a lot, and it's been a while since he's done something at GT level, I can only remember him in the Giro last year with that excellent stage win. Good performane this time around though
 
Jun 30, 2014
5,465
0
0
He's a really talented rider.
Before turning pro he was really thin, I mean Jan Hirt thin (under 60kg) but he suffered a bit on the flat and lacked a bit of power, so when he joined Cannondale (ex Liquigas) he put on some mass and his weight was around 65kg. He became lighter (62kg) when he joined JV's team, but he used to be a better one day racer and better in ITTs as a neopro, so maybe his ideal racing weight is a bit higher.
It's great to see him doing well after a rather disappointing Giro.
 
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
In fairness, he contributed to the Formigal stage a lot, and it's been a while since he's done something at GT level, I can only remember him in the Giro last year with that excellent stage win. Good performane this time around though
He was finishing together with top10 contenders on hilly/mountain stages in both 2015 and 2016 Giro, up to a certain point in 2nd week when he cracked badly both times. This time he started similarly, but managed to maintain his level for the whole 3 weeks.
 
I would say his form has been more encouraging than his results, which didn't do the justice to him IMO.
LBL- good attack late in the race but got caught in the last km
Tour of Alps- abandoned from 5th in GC
Paris-Nice- abandoned after crash while being in good position after ITT and 2 echelons stages
Catalunya and Valenciana- decent climbing but overall results compromised by TTTs in both races
 
Re:

Anderis said:
I would say his form has been more encouraging than his results, which didn't do the justice to him IMO.
LBL- good attack late in the race but got caught in the last km
Tour of Alps- abandoned from 5th in GC
Paris-Nice- abandoned after crash while being in good position after ITT and 2 echelons stages
Catalunya and Valenciana- decent climbing but overall results compromised by TTTs in both races
Yes, I agree ... I should have said good form rather than results. Was cheesed off that he abandoned Tour of the Alps
 
Nov 25, 2012
104
0
0
Re:

SafeBet said:
He should really try to get in the break Saturday or Sunday. Never seen him in this shape.
He's due a stage win.
The stage to Sappada should be the better option for him to do that.
 
Oct 1, 2016
203
0
0
He said that after the fall at the Etna he had problems pedaling. Now he should show some balls and try to win a stage, he has the form. He has to show something on the Sappada stage. It's very important now because i'm curious to see if he's a real racer or just a Mentjes 2.0
 
Feb 24, 2017
6
0
0
In his instagram stories, after the Etna Stage, he showed that the wheel of his bike didn't rotate in the slightest, as if it were braking. what a pity, he could have fought for the podium
 
Feb 3, 2015
237
0
0
2017: Formolo ends Giro d'Italia 15:17 down the maglia rosa
2018: Formolo ends Giro d'Italia 15:16 down the maglia rosa

Nice to see him progressing. At this rate, he's gonna win the entire race in 2934.
 
Oct 1, 2016
203
0
0
Without his Etna debacle would have done something better, but not too much. He should try to win something, I see him more for the classics/short stage races. For the GC is top-10 material now
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS