• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

De Bonis CAS ruling

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
AFAIK the whole point of his appeal is that he never tested positive so he couldn't have been doping.

So it' indeed CAS agreeing with his passport.

Scary. Never testing positive and being suspended. You would think the Passport would lead to finding a positive test. I thought that was the purpose.

How can an athlete defend himself without knowing exactly what he's guilty of?

It also give me an uneasy feeling about the real purpose of CAS....

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Either way, the simple fact that GEROLSTEINER took him off the road for being too suspicious means it's not exactly surprising.

Using this logic...let's just get rid of the top 30% of the peloton....

The VeloNation story on the De Bonis CAS ruling has the summary judgement:

CAS said:
The sanction had been imposed by the TNA-CONI following the analyses of eight blood samples taken from the athlete between 27 November 2007 and 18 May 2009, in accordance with the procedure applied for the &#8220]

So in a nutshell, thumbs up for the bio passport (procedurally) but perhaps the real precedent in this case is that we're not going to find out anything beyond the outline facts, which has always been my biggest concern about the bio passport system.

roundabout said:
To be honest a bigger concern at least to me is CAS announcing the decision after the ban ran out. What took them so long and how is it possible?

This situation is in fact very common. It's mainly thanks to the due process of giving both parties enough time to prepare and disclose their cases. I can't quote an example off the top of my head but a lot of times, it's more a question of clearing your name for future contract eligibility rather than shortening the ban's temporal effect on your finite cycling career.

Apart from that - and as a result of the state of discord in the world of sport - CAS' caseload from other sports is considerable. I blame all of those stupid competitive sailing disputes! :)

TRENDING THREADS