• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Deep section Wheels - which shall I buy?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Bikemonkey said:
I'm looking for some new racing wheels for next year. Any views on what to buy or what not to buy? I have about 1,000 pounds to spend.

Reynolds attack you can use them for any racing they are aero enough for flat TT and light enough for climbing. You wont get blown around in crits either They are just enough Aero for almost everything and will hold my waight well@ 85kg

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Bikemonkey said:
I'm looking for some new racing wheels for next year. Any views on what to buy or what not to buy? I have about 1,000 pounds to spend.

PS Dont tell anyone you have a 1000 pounds to spend the price will go up.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Bikemonkey said:

Not enough expertise to make a recommendation, but it might help others if you provide a bit more basic information as to what kind of racing you're intending to do with them.

Do you live in a windy area? Are you a 120-pound mountain goat? Do you expect these wheels to do double duty for TT's? Tubulars or clinchers (with the hassle I've had with my tubulars, never again, but others might have different views)?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Tubular only for racing. How much are the Dura-Ace C35's going to be there? I have the C50's and am think of going to the new C35's.

Both excellent wheels and my next choice for what I race would be Zipp 303's.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
If you weigh over 70kg and produce any decent sort of power I would stay well away from Reynolds Assaults and Attacks. Easily the worst carbon wheels I have owned, they went on ebay never to be seen or used again.

They flex like hell, hubs are rubbish and have the worst brake squeel you could ever imagine.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
velocity_deep_v_carbon.jpg