Descending -The Underrrated Art!!?

Jul 5, 2011
858
0
0
It wont be Nathan Haas, he descended like a novice in that film. Nibali obviously, but Cance is the best descender I have seen of the current riders.
 
Re: Re:

Bushman said:
rainman said:
It wont be Nathan Haas, he descended like a novice in that film. Nibali obviously, but Cance is the best descender I have seen of the current riders.
Sagan surely is one of the best in the peloton as well if not the best.
The best descenders are usually not the best climbers.
They are usually in the grupetto.
 
Jul 5, 2011
858
0
0
Re: Re:

Bushman said:
rainman said:
It wont be Nathan Haas, he descended like a novice in that film. Nibali obviously, but Cance is the best descender I have seen of the current riders.
Sagan surely is one of the best in the peloton as well if not the best.
Yes and Sagan of course.
 
Nibali is the only GC guy who can really gap guys downhill. Contador and Valverde can gain definitely time if they already have a gap.

Holding a wheel downhill isn't really all that hard, unless the guy in front is just a massively better bike-handler than you are. Andy Schleck followed Monfort's (underrated in all aspects, particularly descending) wheel just fine. Still, Cauterets will be a nice test, particularly with 16-17-18 offering up some chances for the divers.

Cancellara and Sagan could both win stage on a downhill attack, the thing is, most of those stages have too big of kick before and after the descent for them to have a shot. Kwiato (for stages) and Nibali (for the GC) are the two guys who could profit the most from the descents, IMHO.
 
Re: Re:

Billie said:
46&twoWheels said:
Nibali,Valverde,Sagan

----

Savoldelli won two Giros also thanks to his descending skills...(from 58:17, Dutch commentary, He is in pink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9vRjJXk6Jk
Finestre descent was nothing special. It's not that hard actually.
Yep, a lot of false flats. Ardila was actually pacing him during a big chunk of that descent (actually got a little antsy and tried a aborted insane overtake on a really tight switchback). And up Finestre. And up Sestriere. I'm guessing he got a little more than a thank you out of it.
 
Re: Re:

carton said:
Billie said:
46&twoWheels said:
Nibali,Valverde,Sagan

----

Savoldelli won two Giros also thanks to his descending skills...(from 58:17, Dutch commentary, He is in pink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9vRjJXk6Jk
Finestre descent was nothing special. It's not that hard actually.
Yep, a lot of false flats. Ardila was actually pacing him during a big chunk of that descent (actually got a little antsy and tried a aborted insane overtake on a really tight switchback). And up Finestre. And up Sestriere. I'm guessing he got a little more than a thank you out of it.
Van Huffel and Ardila were the only two domestiques Il Falco had that Giro :p
Michel Wuyts watched that stage in the Lotto team bus after the Belgium Tour. The team was ashamed of what was happening he later wrote in a book.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Fun fact: Savoldelli was asked who's the best descender that he has ever seen and his answer was Cipollini.
 
Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
Descending has never been underrated, but these days its not used enough by race organizers nor riders.

Only cobbles comes close to action on a descent.
The problem is that there is about one difficult downhill finish per gt nowadays, so you can hardly decide a gt with your descending skills.
 
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Dazed and Confused said:
Descending has never been underrated, but these days its not used enough by race organizers nor riders.

Only cobbles comes close to action on a descent.
The problem is that there is about one difficult downhill finish per gt nowadays, so you can hardly decide a gt with your descending skills.
I want variance. Itt, descending, climbing, crosswind, cobbles, hills, bunch sprints etc.

But, anyway I agree race organizer doesn't include enough descent finishes.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Red Rick Professional Road Racing 237

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS