• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Didn't there used to be breadcrumbs...

...at the bottom of the pages? Now I have to scroll back up to the top to jump back up to the forum? For example, I'm in the Remco thread, I read to the bottom of a page, and want to go to Professional Road Racing. Didn't there used to be a breadcrumb where I could do that? Something seems different. Thanks!

...at the bottom of the pages? Now I have to scroll back up to the top to jump back up to the forum? For example, I'm in the Remco thread, I read to the bottom of a page, and want to go to Professional Road Racing. Didn't there used to be a breadcrumb where I could do that? Something seems different. Thanks!
Yes agreed, disappeared over the last week or so.

Quite annoying really.

Reactions: red_flanders

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Hey folks,

I've followed up on this and unfortunately the links won't be making a return in the foreseeable future. Google decides how visible any given site is online and they penalize sites for having multiple links to the same content, even on the same page.

Basically, if they see a breadcrumb at the bottom of a page, they count that as having multiple links to the same content, even though this is actually an identical link that's exclusively designed to let folks quickly get back to the top of the page, and they lower the rank of where that site appears in searches.

While we'd absolutely prefer they not do that, they do, so we had to remove those links. You can still use the Home key on your keyboard to go to the top of whatever page you're viewing, regardless of the site, so at least there's a workaround.

I apologize for the inconvenience and if the rules change on these things, we'll absolutely revisit the change.

Hey folks,

I've followed up on this and unfortunately the links won't be making a return in the foreseeable future. Google decides how visible any given site is online and they penalize sites for having multiple links to the same content, even on the same page.

Basically, if they see a breadcrumb at the bottom of a page, they count that as having multiple links to the same content, even though this is actually an identical link that's exclusively designed to let folks quickly get back to the top of the page, and they lower the rank of where that site appears in searches.

While we'd absolutely prefer they not do that, they do, so we had to remove those links. You can still use the Home key on your keyboard to go to the top of whatever page you're viewing, regardless of the site, so at least there's a workaround.

I apologize for the inconvenience and if the rules change on these things, we'll absolutely revisit the change.
Thank you for looking into it.

Is there any reason that the breadcrumbs need to be at the top of the page rather than at the bottom?

Hey folks,

Thanks for the update. Didn't know about the home key (Mac user) but thanks. There's an easy mac equivalent.
Thank you for looking into it.

Is there any reason that the breadcrumbs need to be at the top of the page rather than at the bottom?
It's the standard location for a breadcrumb, users expect it if nothing else. Sites which use it extensively often are able to freeze the navbar at the top of even scrolling pages, so that it's always visible. I would imagine a forum like this might not have that ability.