• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dilema... (non doping thread!)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I am trying not to panic but....

I have just received a text from my (fairly new) gf that because we didn't get to see each other this past weekend that it would be 'nice' to do something next Saturday....

My plan for next Saturday was to sit in front of TV with curtains drawn- with laptop on my knee and phone in hand to catch the opening TT, I was even thinking of having some beer's and lots of 'comfort' food.

Needless to say when I got the text I had a face on me like S.Schumacher when he heard there was a test for CERA (the only doping ref, sorry!)...

Anyone got any suggestions on what to do? ... I was briefly thinking of asking her to pop over & watch it with me but Godloveher she doesn't know one end of a bike from the other...

PS.... she already knows that all my Grandparents have already departed..

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I am trying not to panic but....

I have just received a text from my (fairly new) gf that because we didn't get to see each other this past weekend that it would be 'nice' to do something next Saturday....

My plan for next Saturday was to sit in front of TV with curtains drawn- with laptop on my knee and phone in hand to catch the opening TT, I was even thinking of having some beer's and lots of 'comfort' food.

Needless to say when I got the text I had a face on me like S.Schumacher when he heard there was a test for CERA (the only doping ref, sorry!)...

Anyone got any suggestions on what to do? ... I was briefly thinking of asking her to pop over & watch it with me but Godloveher she doesn't know one end of a bike from the other...

PS.... she already knows that all my Grandparents have already departed..

Dump her......

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Do what I do in those cases: go with her, have a great time, avoid all cycling news like the plague, "obtain" *cough* the race video afterwards and and watch it as live the next morning ;)

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
"My Girlfriend was feeling neglected and gave me an option.... her or the [bike]. Boy do I miss her"

Dealing with another vocation in brackets, I've substituted the word "bike" for what someone else's motto is. :D

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Nah, a cycling addiction is like an STD, you got to be open about it right from the begin. If she can't take it that you are such a dork, you are better off w/o her...

...spoken as a fellow bike dork.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Snake8 said:
Nah, a cycling addiction is like an STD, you got to be open about it right from the begin. If she can't take it that you are such a dork, you are better off w/o her...

...spoken as a fellow bike dork.

Hmmm... yes, you are right but...
I couldn't tape it - unless I buried my PC & phone and I would be an irritable soandso all day:mad:
...WBT option is looking like the best so far...

Why don't you just change your plan slightly? Let me fix it for you:

My plan for next Saturday is to sit in front of TV with curtains drawn- with my girlfriend in my lap and my laptop on her knee and phone in hand to catch the opening TT, I am even thinking of having some beer's and lots of 'comfort' food.

How about that?

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
Hmmm... yes, you are right but...
I couldn't tape it - unless I buried my PC & phone and I would be an irritable soandso all day:mad:
...WBT option is looking like the best so far...

Nah, invite her over and feed her some wine. She'll either go to sleep or be more receptive to watching cycling or both. Tell her you love her cooking and was wondering if she could come over and make you something wonderful that will take about 3 hours to prepare. Tell here that you house needs a good vacuum.(I never did read my ex-wife's reaction to that because I always just turned my back after I said it.)

Just some helpful suggestions from one guy to another......

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Forget the TT prologue. Quite possibly the most boring, tv unfriendly aspect of cycling. You've got all of July to watch anyway. Although Monaco would be cool to see. What's the deal with not being able to record it anyway? You might possibly be the one person I know that doesn't have the capability to record it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ugh I didn't take the Tour into consideration for my holdiay plans, now I'll be in Amsterdam on the day of the MONT VENTOUX STAGE (THE MONT VENTOUX STAGE!!!) with my girlfriend. Ugh. They better have kick-*** sports bars there that show TdF.
But hey until then I'll watch France Deux from 11 am to 6 pm every day.

Dr. Maserati said:
... I was briefly thinking of asking her to pop over & watch it with me..

Bzzzzttt! Wrong answer!!! Whatever you do, don't do that!

Not sure what time zone you are in, but you either have to make it a morning breakfast thing so you can watch later (my suggestion) or an evening date (second choice, as you're going to want to talk about the race badly, and that may bore her). Giving yourself plenty of time to watch it.

Agree with Snake, you have to let her know of your "abnormality" straight up. Like, I'd text her back and say you'd love to have breakfast with her, or dinner, but the other part of the day is bad as you're a cycling junkie and really don't want to miss the Tour. If she dumps you for that, you two were not meant to be.

A

Anonymous

about five years ago in july when my fiancee moved in the first thing i told her was "a warning, for the next three weeks i will be watching the tour on tv, there is no argument, there is no alternative... its deal with it"

four years on and she will be at her fourth tour stage at the end of july....

you might be surprised.. if you dont tell her now, what happens when she wants to "babysit" during mont ventoux?

ok just asked the wife..

she shrugged and said "see her the next day or in the evening, its not rocket science"... so there ya go.. a womans opinion.. :D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Forget the TT prologue. Quite possibly the most boring, tv unfriendly aspect of cycling. You've got all of July to watch anyway. Although Monaco would be cool to see. What's the deal with not being able to record it anyway? You might possibly be the one person I know that doesn't have the capability to record it.

I do have recording capability - however I will be getting constant updates from other cycling 'dorks'.

I know what will happen....."wow, what a start to the TDF, Lance cruising to the yellow jersey - amazing how poor Alberto got stuck in the Astana bus for 3 hours with a stuck door"....

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
You MUST come clean about this.

Explain everything to her- say that's it's crucial that you watch the opening day, because...........unlike football............. it's only for three weeks every year that cycling fans are fixated by the TV/lapdog/phone updates................unlike football.............and it's such a healthy, inclusive, cheap sport...............unlike football............and so on. You can tell her about the Vuelta later.

Ask her what her favourite food/wine is beforehand and make sure you have this available. Flowers optional. Let her choose where you will go for a romantic meal afterwards.

Answer all the questions she will (hopefully) ask. Ensuring that she fully comprehends that cycling is 'not like football'.

Whilst watching the TV, indulge in cuddling. Rubbing her feet with cream/oil will ensure you can fully concentrate on the TV without having to look at her too often. She will be thrilled to have discovered a man who fully understands that foreplay takes longer than 3 minutes.

Tell her that cycling is egalitarian, easily accessible and there is an active women's race calender (unlike football).

Get her to focus on an attractive cyclist and then let her follow his progress. (em, I confess that I was initially hooked by following the Lanterne Rouge 'competition'.)

Thank her afterwards for her understanding.

On the other hand, if she's a football fan, dump her.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Ugh I didn't take the Tour into consideration for my holdiay plans, now I'll be in Amsterdam on the day of the MONT VENTOUX STAGE (THE MONT VENTOUX STAGE!!!) with my girlfriend. Ugh. They better have kick-*** sports bars there that show TdF.
But hey until then I'll watch France Deux from 11 am to 6 pm every day.

You're welcome to join me, if I'm home that day. ;)

Dr. M, I agree that you need to be up front with her. She needs to understand that these three weeks are an annual affliction and that you need the fix (oops, sorry).

I'm extremely fortunate in having a girlfriend who's as Tour crazy as I am, though our race enjoyment together is somewhat limited by being separated by six time zones. :(

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Tell her you've just come down with swine flu.......
.....now, think very hard about that one....there must a double entendre kicking around in there someplace.....

The swine flu, eh? Hmm, it could have me housebound for the next 3 weeks.... and then a tragic reoccurance in September - again for three weeks - with some mild effects during October (at weekends)...

A

Anonymous

Give her some EPO and then drug test her and tell her you just can't date a doper anymore....

I just couldn't help it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the fun replies, kept on topic -and we even avoided the D word - it restores my faith in this forum!!

My gf & I have come to an acceptable arrangement that it is being prepared by my extensive legal team....

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
Thanks for all the fun replies, kept on topic -and we even avoided the D word - it restores my faith in this forum!!

My gf & I have come to an acceptable arrangement that it is being prepared by my extensive legal team....

You spoke too soon, or actually seconds too late....

TRENDING THREADS