• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disgusted with Doping

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I've spent a few hours in here; just trying to get a 'vibe' for how everyone feels about the long-awaited demise of the Lance Armstrong myth.

Amazing really. I don't know what's more pitiful - those riders who choose to dope, deny, deny, deny and finally admit. Or....

Or ... everyone who posts religiously in this Forum space "The Clinic". Seriously, if you hate doping so much, if you feel it's crippled the sport so much, why even follow it?

Do you guys even care about the sport anymore? Or is it, in your eyes at least, that doping and cycling can't ever be mutually exclusive.

Amazing really, whilst all this USADA stuff is going on, the so-called experts in here know "Team Sky are on the juice; the next big dope bust is just around the corner" they post, with lips salivating in anticipation. "The entire peloton is doped", etc. etc. etc. Every performance by every rider is essentially questioned in here.

I just don't know why you'd ever watch cycling if you felt that way. Get off the forums, get away from the sport and enjoy the better things in life.

Unless of course, you deep down enjoy it all. You secretly get off on this stuff.

I pity you.

Did you make a mistake and pull up the Armstrong talking points letter from 2009?

The current version tells you to moan about how unfair it is that the other riders got six month suspensions while Armstrong is banned for life. Use of the term "personal vendetta" is also highly recommended.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Like any other Web forum, this one's got a lot of junk. But if you look carefully through the weeds, you'll also find that The Clinic is the vanguard for a lot of cycling news. Just look at the stories on the main Site that have stemmed out of discussions on here.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
mr rendell said:
I've spent a few hours in here; just trying to get a 'vibe' for how everyone feels about the long-awaited demise of the Lance Armstrong myth.

Amazing really. I don't know what's more pitiful - those riders who choose to dope, deny, deny, deny and finally admit. Or....

Or ... everyone who posts religiously in this Forum space "The Clinic". Seriously, if you hate doping so much, if you feel it's crippled the sport so much, why even follow it?

Do you guys even care about the sport anymore? Or is it, in your eyes at least, that doping and cycling can't ever be mutually exclusive.

Amazing really, whilst all this USADA stuff is going on, the so-called experts in here know "Team Sky are on the juice; the next big dope bust is just around the corner" they post, with lips salivating in anticipation. "The entire peloton is doped", etc. etc. etc. Every performance by every rider is essentially questioned in here.

I just don't know why you'd ever watch cycling if you felt that way. Get off the forums, get away from the sport and enjoy the better things in life.

Unless of course, you deep down enjoy it all. You secretly get off on this stuff.

I pity you.

Troll?

Speaking for myself, I participate in the sport and used to enjoy watching the pro events. I'd like to get back to enjoying it, if you don't mind. So anything that helps clean it up is good. In my opinion this forum has succeeded on that count.

What are you doing here?

mr rendell said:
Or ... everyone who posts religiously in this Forum space "The Clinic". Seriously, Fif you hate doping so much, if you feel it's crippled the sport so much, why even follow it?

This "question" has been brought up and adressed several times here by several people. Does anyone want to give it another go? I'm not going to.

mr rendell said:

I pity you.

First, it's the offseason dude. Point me to a race and I'll talk about it.

Second, I don't think that liking cycling and being interested in doping within cycling are mutually exclusive. In fact, I don't really think you have cycling's best interests at heart if you don't honestly confront and talk about doping.

So, thanks for the pity, but I think we're doing just fine here.

tnR1A.jpg

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I am not disguisted with the individual that chooses to dope, i am disguisted with the system that allows it. If you look at doping in the proper context you should realize that it's no different then any other sport/profession. People are always willing to break rules to make a buck. So it's always going to be a part of cycling. What's disguisting is the allowance by the UCI and others to make it a requisite for entry

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
mr rendell said:

I pity you.
I don't wish to speak for everybody in The Clinic, but:

"If you said, 'Give me one word to sum this all up,' credibility."
"I like our word. We like our credibility."

"Finally, the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics: I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets — this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it. So Vive le Tour forever!"

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
mr rendell said:

Once most of the doping is gone, then we can give you a report. Until then, it's still trying to shine light on the underbelly of the sport.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
mr rendell said:

I pity you.

It seems like YOU are the one who has problems comprehending how the clinic works. Perhaps you should be the one who should get off the forum and sit in the sun somewhere.

We are the probably some of the most loyal cycling fans out there. That's why we are still talking about it, for better or for worse. Go through all the forums, in some threads we try to come up with solutions. I personally am watching as many races as I can. I ride, and I race, and I blast those who are destroying the sport with drugs because I care about it so much. You got it backwards.

Pretty judgemental for someone who's only been here for hours.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
There are so-called experts on here?
Who is calling whom an expert?
I thought this was a message board, where interested people come to read and post opinions. No one on here particularly strikes me as an "expert".
Though "getting off" on folk earning their comeuppance is too strong of an indictment.
Liars, cheaters and those that threaten others and sully their reputations need to be held accountable for their behaviour.
Yes, I'm glad that truth sometimes prevails.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
mr rendell said:

Amazing really.

Try reading the USADA report... it think it's contents fully explain the 'vibe'. And, so many years of waiting believing this would would stay buried for ever... think that explains the 'vibe' too.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
mr rendell said:

I pity you.

Shut-up hippie, nobody cares.

Prodigy4299 said:
Like any other Web forum, this one's got a lot of junk. But if you look carefully through the weeds, you'll also find that The Clinic is the vanguard for a lot of cycling news. Just look at the stories on the main Site that have stemmed out of discussions on here.

+1, in addition:

I don't think you'll find any clinicicianos who aren't passionate about the sport. I find myself residing in the clinic sanctuary mostly because of it's massive impact on the sport. To deny that it is is simply ridiculous. It's to the point that it's not worth following in it's current state, the state that it's been in for years. Although many of us are cynical and jaded and within a millimeter of giving up on the sport, somehow we hold out hope that something major is going to happen to make things believable again. It's more exciting and addictive than any other sport there is, we just want to know that what we're witnessing is real. It's been phony for quite some time, phony is a waste of time. Quite a conundrum as you can see.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
I have no problem with the doping. It's the riders getting away with it that I have the problem with.

Flaunting their new found FTPs as they dominate race after race after race.

Having little tantrums when it's pointed out what they are doing is not normal.

OR...

+1 to JMBeaushrimp

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh dear me, you mean there's better things for us clinic folks to do with our lives? You don't say! I once loved bike racing very very much.. I still enjoy it, and I'd love to see it become as clean as possible, so I can focus on the actual racing, rather than the inevitable feelings of doubt over the leaders of the major races..

The OP is Matt Rendell isn't it (a British cycling author, journalist)?

His other post in this forum implies that he works in the cycling media and when you put that together with his username then it's obvious.

If so then the OP is a massive hypocrite. I've heard/read him speculate on several occasions about riders doping when he hasn't had ''proof of guilt'' as it were.

He seems particularly upset about the speculation surrounding Team Sky but then he would considering that he openly admitted that it was only due to Sky/Wiggins/Froome that he was able to get a job as a pundit/interviewer at the Vuelta in 2011 and 2012.

He worked with ITV as an interviewer on this year's Tour and was openly fawning over Wiggins and very defensive of the doping allegations surrounding 'Wiggo' and the team.

'A fan with a microphone' and a massive hypocrite.

I pity him.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
JRanton said:
The OP is Matt Rendell isn't it (a British cycling author, journalist)?

His other post in this forum implies that he works in the cycling media and when you put that together with his username then it's obvious.

If so then the OP is a massive hypocrite. I've heard/read him speculate on several occasions about riders doping when he hasn't had ''proof of guilt'' as it were.

He seems particularly upset about the speculation surrounding Team Sky but then he would considering that he openly admitted that it was only due to Sky/Wiggins/Froome that he was able to get a job as a pundit/interviewer at the Vuelta in 2011 and 2012.

He worked with ITV as an interviewer on this year's Tour and was openly fawning over Wiggins and very defensive of the doping allegations surrounding 'Wiggo' and the team.

'A fan with a microphone' and a massive hypocrite.

I pity him.
Is that the same Matt Rendell that left this comment on the "Matt White must go?" opinion piece on SBS Cycling Central

"Sorry, didn't read past the opening line. Give White credit for admitting? Give me a break. Landis brought this to everyone's attention TWO years ago. What did White say then? S.F.A. When Landis [and Hamilton] decided to come clean [BTW - anyone who considers them to be heroes are deluding themselves], when was White when LA was tearing strips off them. Sorry, Matt White - you reap what you sow. Oh, BTW - what impact [if any], does this have on Jane Saville's career? White = banned for life."

TRENDING THREADS