• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do we need the UCI Road World Cup back in some version?

I often think something is needed more than the current ranking points, rarely do I even know who is leading, although the womens ranking seems to get more publicity.
Ironically when the world cup was around there seemed to be more interest in the seperate world rankings.
Perhaps one day, and seperate stage race, end of season champions based on current ranking points.
No changes required and just someone to add the numbers up.

I'm inclined to think more jerseys are often a plus. That's one of the reasons I am such a fan of the European Championships even though some people think it's superfluous and unnecessary. But Tobydawq's argument may just trump any such considerations. Personally I wasn't really watching cycling yet in the days of the World Cup but stuff like that definitely shouldn't influence the race results. It's bad enough when riders 'have' to hold on to their 9th place in GC at all costs because their team desperately needs the points.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
NO!

It devaluates the races. I don't need watching people tank potential victories in one-day races because they have to mark their rivals.

One-day racing should be just that. No tomorrow, no yesterday.

Good point. GVA would win it and it would therefore mean as much as the most top tens without a win thread.
Having said that it would be nice if the rankings did get a bit more publicity,

Reactions: Sandisfan and Tobi
true that’s a downside I haven’t considered

I have recently read a book about the world cup where all the races of its history were accounted for and for Paris-Tours and Lombardia it was always the same story with the leading riders only having eyes upon each other.

It even looked like Zabel deliberately tanked Paris-Roubaix one year in the sense that he didn't want his group to ride too fast because he then risked dropping and losing an opportunity to score points even if that meant he couldn't win the race.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Tobi
I have recently read a book about the world cup where all the races of its history were accounted for and for Paris-Tours and Lombardia it was always the same story with the leading riders only having eyes upon each other.

It even looked like Zabel deliberately tanked Paris-Roubaix one year in the sense that he didn't want his group to ride too fast because he then risked dropping and losing an opportunity to score points even if that meant he couldn't win the race.

From memory and some CN archive search

at least for Lombardia

2004 - both Bettini and Rebellin dropped well before the finale
2003 - Bettini won the WC before Lombardia
2002 - i think Bettini had won the WC before
2001 - Dekker won the WC before
2000 - i think the same for Zabel

I guess the closest thing was 1999 and I suppose 1997 when Bartoli IIRC was just happy to finish 4th and did not contest the finish

Edit: IIRC in the last few Paris-Tours WC editions not much happened from WC contenders behind the breaks

Reactions: Sandisfan
In the pre WC days, for the Pernod Superprestige, Kelly needed to win Lombardia, and have Lemond/Anderson not place in 83/85. Lemond finished 2nd in one of the tightest 4-way sprints ever caught on camera to take the title. Anderson was dropped early and was showered and in the velodrome to watch Kelly win in the group sprint and take the trophy.

Having a WC depend on the races might make some guys race negative to block one or two rivals, but in general there will be enough racers on the start line who want to win to make it interesting.

Reactions: Tobi

TRENDING THREADS